Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

I got one today at BB in San Fran. Hooked it up before I left (had to set it up on a chair by the exit) saw the dreaded screen door in the right hand corner. Returned it. Saw they had 1 LG 24" L246WP left (new in box), even though the clearance price was $467.99 and they wouldn't match the much lower clearance prices of other stores (370-400 range mostly but none in stock around me) I got it (10% off USPS movers coupon didn't work either). Lugged it home (much heaver and slightly bigger box). Hooked it up. No dead pixels or stuck pixels, no screen door, much nicer stand & bezel. No more messing around with the Westy's for me. Anyone that was lucky enough to get a good Westinghouse buy a lottery ticket, it might just be your lucky day!

Is there a picture of this screen door effect somewhere?

Just got this monitor last night, and it is totally gorgeous!! I was coming from a 17inch LCD and the increase in resolution and monitor viewable area is flat out incredible.

just last night, i started to hear the infamous buzzing noise coming from the LCD. its driving me nuts actually. Its not loud and you can hear it.

freakin annoying

just last night, i started to hear the infamous buzzing noise coming from the LCD. its driving me nuts actually. Its not loud and you can hear it.

freakin annoying

Meaning you just never heard it til now or you never had the buzzing problem? How long have you had your monitor for cuz you're one the earlier posters on this thread.

You can see a very very bad screen door effect here:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:*&sa=N

But the one I used to have was just horizontal lines that went out about 6" to the left of the right corner and about 5" down in a square shape. From where I am sitting, about 2~3ft away I noticed it, so I had to do something about it and swapped it out and got lucky. Alhough this one might have ultra small SDE but I thing it's just one of those things in my head. Either way for some reason the external connections come in way better anyways on the new one.

I posted this a while back but here it is again. I took this picture of the first one I got from newegg. It's not like a normal screen door effect where there is a thin grid around the pixels, it's as if the the grid is thicker than normal, primarily the horizontal part of the grid. Happens in the upper right corner of every single westinghouse 24" LCD that I have ever seen. The easiest way to check for it is drag a image or movie from one corner to the other and see if the image quality looks grainy and crappier in the upper right.

37655c3c48.jpg

so it seems there are 2 kinds of buzzing. One is the <98 brightness which is very loud. The other appears to be a quieter buzzing which, I think, is constant?

Mine has the first one, and I just leave my monitor on 100 all the time, as buzzing annoys me to no end.

I just brought my Westy from Best Buy yesterday for $391 out the door. Coming from a Dell 2007wfp, this thing is HUGE! I haven't had any of the problems that seem to plague a lot of the posters in this thread, but I do notice a pretty severe case of banding. Anyone else getting it? I'm using a XP theme with a taskbar that transitions from light gray to black, and the banding is pretty noticeable. I'm not sure if I want to return it yet - if it's a problem that is consistent in all iterations of this monitor, i'll probably just keep it.

Picked this thing up today @ Best Buy (Bellevue, WA) for $365. I have it at home now, running Vista + Aero on my GeForce 6800GT 256MB @ 19x12 and hot damn! I was running dual 19" Viewsonic CRTs.

If I *really* stare and get right up to my monitor I can kinda see this 'screen door' you all are talking about -- but who sits that close to their 24"??? Plus if you're looking for it, you'll notice. I'll quit noticing soon.

Controls, I didn't even think about it when I bought it...but yah I'm not fond of where they're at either. Oh well, won't use 'em that often. Now to tweak this thing :D

I posted this a while back but here it is again. I took this picture of the first one I got from newegg. It's not like a normal screen door effect where there is a thin grid around the pixels, it's as if the the grid is thicker than normal, primarily the horizontal part of the grid. Happens in the upper right corner of every single westinghouse 24" LCD that I have ever seen. The easiest way to check for it is drag a image or movie from one corner to the other and see if the image quality looks grainy and crappier in the upper right.

37655c3c48.jpg

Ooooh, okay. I wasn't looking at your picture right the first few times I saw it. I thought what you were saying was that the right side of the picture was clear but the left side of the picture was grainy with 2 exact same pictures side by side. It makes sense now :rolleyes:. I really can't tell with mine. I tried with both picture and video and sometimes I think I see it, other times I don't. I think you just have me tripping out haha.

The screen door effect is common in LCD monitors, but yours seems to be pretty bad nojoka.

Meaning you just never heard it til now or you never had the buzzing problem? How long have you had your monitor for cuz you're one the earlier posters on this thread.

bought it on Black friday. So Nov 27/28th 2007.

Makes me just want to put some more money and get a HannsG or a Dell 24"

the buzzing noise is annoying no matter how anyone spins it.

Hmm... That's the first time I've heard about the buzzing sound developing later down the line. Makes me think that this buzzing is just normal then and is actually part of the monitor's sound from the parts inside.

So just to confirm, you're saying that you never heard the buzzing before when going below 98-100 in brightness right? And as a solution, you can always set the brightness to 98-100 (whichever number it stops buzzing at) and change your settings through your video card settings or through the program somebody mentioned above.

I never head any sound coming from the monitor when i put my brightness at 30.

Since last nite, the buzzing noise was constant. i actually hear two diffrent buzzing sounds. One occurs when brightness is below 98 and is more audible over the other one which occurs when the LCD is powered on.

Put the backlight at 100% and take it like a man :p ...if not well than lucky me that I find 100% just right.

Put the backlight at 100% and take it like a man :p ...if not well than lucky me that I find 100% just right.

Haha, i called westinghouse for RMA. Apparently they are just going to call BB and have me just take my LCD to local BB and replace it with another one :) hopefully they will stick to what they said.

Funny thing is, i dont hear anything for the first 2 hours of use. Then the buzzing noise slowly builds up. my room is relatively quiet and noise is very annoying when i try to do homework or write papers for literature class.

I had this monitor for a short while, even posted in this thread and I noticed that the buzzing decreased in loudness over time. I even listened hard and it was not there. A quick adjustment of upping the brightness and backing it down again brought the buzzing back. Was it only me or have you guys noticed it as wellÉ

I had this monitor for a short while, even posted in this thread and I noticed that the buzzing decreased in loudness over time. I even listened hard and it was not there. A quick adjustment of upping the brightness and backing it down again brought the buzzing back. Was it only me or have you guys noticed it as wellÉ

I forgot if I posted here about it or on another forum, but here's how my buzzing is: When I initially drop the brightness below 98, it'll make a high pitched buzzing noise. If I turn the monitor on and off, the high pitch buzzing noise will turn into a low pitched buzzing noise, more like a hum. From there on, the buzzing noise will always be the low pitched sound until I change my brightness level again. As for the buzzing going away with time, I wouldn't be able to say much about that since I haven't had my monitor for too long.

I forgot if I posted here about it or on another forum, but here's how my buzzing is: When I initially drop the brightness below 98, it'll make a high pitched buzzing noise. If I turn the monitor on and off, the high pitch buzzing noise will turn into a low pitched buzzing noise, more like a hum. From there on, the buzzing noise will always be the low pitched sound until I change my brightness level again. As for the buzzing going away with time, I wouldn't be able to say much about that since I haven't had my monitor for too long.

This is exactly how my monitor is, and I noticed it the very first second I went to turn down the brightness. I love how the manufacturer always puts the brightness all the way up, so out of the box you go blind.

Anyway, I have mine at 100% and I just went into my graphic controllers and turned my brightness down via the graphics card. Works for me, especially since I hopped on the BB deal for $360. This monitor is well worth the money for the buzzing IMO.

Odd question but where exactly is the UPC on the box? It has a bunch of stickers and I'm not sure which one is the proper one in order to get the rebate.

This is exactly how my monitor is, and I noticed it the very first second I went to turn down the brightness. I love how the manufacturer always puts the brightness all the way up, so out of the box you go blind.

Anyway, I have mine at 100% and I just went into my graphic controllers and turned my brightness down via the graphics card. Works for me, especially since I hopped on the BB deal for $360. This monitor is well worth the money for the buzzing IMO.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying too for those with the buzzing problem... Just set it to 100% and adjust it through your vid card settings or another program.

Odd question but where exactly is the UPC on the box? It has a bunch of stickers and I'm not sure which one is the proper one in order to get the rebate.

Cut out that whole section with all the bar codes (or peel if you want since it's a sticker).

I got this LCD over the weekend at BB for 380$ after tax and I love it....

Is there any specific settings you guys recommend for best picture?

When I turn off my pc my screen stays blue and says HDMI...how come it doesn't turn off ? I have to manualy turn it off...

Other then that I love it

When I turn off my pc my screen stays blue and says HDMI...how come it doesn't turn off ? I have to manualy turn it off...

Other then that I love it

Yeah mine does that too. I just press the power button like you said. But it's better than on, where it puts off some great amount of heat. :eek:

I just got mine today, its SOOOOO big compared to my 19" its bigger than the TV in my dorm room lol

360 + PC own on this, i'll have to take a pic one of these days...

I bought one of these yesterday. It has 0 dead pixels, and the backlight bleed is very minimal.

Here's the problem though.

The black crush is very bad, power supply buzzing with the brightness under 98 is quite loud with a near silent PC, lack of standby mode that works, and the input lag also turns me off.

I could probably live with all of these faults, except for the buzzing. It's just too much for me to listen to all the time.

I'm returning it tomorrow.

It's too bad really.

yeah my pc is quieter then this lcd when i turn down the brightness on it :( It does look great though :cool:

I am having a lot of trouble setting mine up. I've had mine for about 2 weeks and I've reset the settings numerous times. I tried all of the settings suggestins in this thread, but they all seem worse than the settings out of the box. The only things I've done right now is turned down the brightness and backlight.

I am using a PS3 on it, most of the time. So if anyone has a ps3 hooked up to it that can share their settings, I would gladly appreciate it.

i just run it at 1920x1080

Thinking of investing $50 into BestBuys Warranty plan in case this buzzing gets worser or anything goes wrong with it because it only has 1 year warranty from WestingHouse.......I am not sure I like the way BB's warranty works u bring it in they ship it out you wait etc and god knows when and what you will get back.............

It might be buzzing because it's not at native res...does running at 1920x1080 just shut off 60px on top and bottom, or what? Sorry if I sound completely ignorant here -- I guess I am! :p

I've had mine for about a month or so and absolutely love it. The brightness is amazing. The no-power-off-over-HDMI is actually not a bug. The thing to remember with this monitor is that it's basically a 24" HDTV without a TV tuner. And TVs don't shut themselves off, either. I think it's pretty weak that Westinghouse didn't take this into account, but I'm not complaining for the price. Horrible button placement is my biggest complaint, but how often do you use any of them except the power button?

Another drawback (if you can even call it that) is having to upgrade my video card. Watching 1080p at native res is just plain awesome and my li'l ol' 7950GT 512MB just can't handle it very well. And I doubt it can handle even Compiz 3D effects on two at native res (I can't stand running LCDs at anything other than native res).

Final estimation -- I just bought another one, so obviously I'm happy with it. The stands will be coming off and they'll be going into a dual-monitor wall mount. :D

Hey all,

After reading I've found that Best Buy up here in Canada has this screen for $369.99 Canadian, which is an awesome deal, even cheaper than the cheapest TN 24" monitors available.

I will put the extended warranty on it, and try it out with my PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and let you know what I find. Maybe I'll be supremely lucky and get a good one. I'm sure there are lots of good ones, as you always hear more about the complaints than the "thumbs up" experiences.

So far I've tried a number of equivalents over the past six months: BenQ FP241w/vw, LG L246WP, BenQ G2400W, so I'll let you all know what I think. I prefer MVA over TN mostly so I think for the size, quality of panel and connections options this is an excellent price.

If everything goes well I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Regards,

10e

Hey all,

After reading I've found that Best Buy up here in Canada has this screen for $369.99 Canadian, which is an awesome deal, even cheaper than the cheapest TN 24" monitors available.

I will put the extended warranty on it, and try it out with my PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and let you know what I find. Maybe I'll be supremely lucky and get a good one. I'm sure there are lots of good ones, as you always hear more about the complaints than the "thumbs up" experiences.

So far I've tried a number of equivalents over the past six months: BenQ FP241w/vw, LG L246WP, BenQ G2400W, so I'll let you all know what I think. I prefer MVA over TN mostly so I think for the size, quality of panel and connections options this is an excellent price.

If everything goes well I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Regards,

10e

Please do, as I'm a Canadian user looking for a good affordable 24 :)

So I picked it up last night (for $369.99 which is a STEAL) and played around with it briefly.

Here is what I found with the connections:

1) Xbox 360 (non-elite/falcon with no HDMI) over VGA and component was very good at 1920x1080. No overscan at all, and it definitely looked like 1:1 pixel mapping with the display set at "normal" mode. Colour and contrast was adjustable to my liking, and over component I lowered the sharpness to 15 as I found default overly sharpened and noisy looking.

2) PS3 over HDMI - Definitely 1:1 in 1080p with the display set at normal mode, and properly scaled in games (as PS3 plays all retail games at 720p and this display has no 1:1 setting). The display was a little too bright but with some brightness and contrast adjustments it looked pretty good. Again no overscan.

3) PC at 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 1680x1050, 1776x1000 with a Radeon HD 3870 (Catalyst 8.2) looked great at 1920x1200 and very clear and sharp.

Weirdly enough, in XP the other resolutions didn't look that great (1920x1080 was 1:1 but text was slightly blurry, and the others scaled up) but in Vista all the resolutions (except for 1680x1050) were perfectly sharp, not scaled, and centred (I always use centered timings). The only resolution I tried in XP and Vista that wasn't very nice was 1280x720. 1360x768 was scaled but looked good. 1600x1200 was left 1:1 with black bars left and right.

Humming:

I have the humming, but it varies based on brightness levels. Anything under 39 brightness is a bit louder, and between 40 and 70 it's pretty hard to hear it, and even between 75 to 98 it's not bad at all. My PC is quite silent, but I have to pretty much put my head 6 inches from the display, near the right of it, to hear the humming noise. It's definitely not an issue in my mind. There is no high pitched, biting sound to it.

Display quality:

This thing is bright. Sitting next to my Dell 2005WFP it's even brighter, and the different modes (Picture, Text) vary it, but I definitely turned down the brightness a fair bit (to like 45 - 50).

No dead or stuck pixels, no dead sub pixels. So far all the non S-IPS 24" monitors I've tried (now 6 I think) only this one and the BenQ FP241W had no dead or marginal pixels. Very happy with that.

I noticed zero colour banding and I sat staring at it with different gradients to ensure this is the case.

I do have a very slight screen door effect at the top right corner, stretching to the left about 4 inches and down about 4 inches, but to see it I have to put my face less than a foot from the monitor, so it's not a bother. There is no resolution loss or detail loss, just a slight "scanline" look to it from up close kind of like the old CRT monitors. It's almost more of a texturing of the display in this area than a strong graininess. YMMV but to me it's definitely not a deal breaker, and less of an issue than heavy input lag or dead (sub) pixels.

Speaking of input lag, it does have some, but it varies. It is between 9 and 28 ms slower than my Dell 2005WFP, which is a fast monitor, and about 12 to 35 ms slower than the BenQ G2400W (which is rated at about 3 to 6 ms lag). I didn't notice it in game playing or fast mouse movement or window dragging. Additionally, most of my camera shots were 9 ms slower than the Dell, with only about 10% of them being at the 30 ms lag range.

So ultimately, for $369.99 it's a display that is far and away better than all of the TN panels I've seen at this price range (and most were more $). The colour is vibrant, contrast is good, off angle contrast shifts do exist, but no colour shifts. I haven't calibrated, but the blacks are decent, and I noticed no loss of detail on PC, PS3, or Xbox 360 in dark scenes. I even watched HD tv on it through a cable box over component, and messing with the brightness and contrast/back light controls brought back all the low light detail loss.

There is a small amount of back light bleed, but definitely not much more than my Dell 2005WFP, and a lot less than the BenQ G2400W, which isn't bad either.

The HDMI does turn the screen blue in power save mode, but I'm coming from TV land (LG 37LB5D as a monitor), so it's not a big deal for me to shut it off manually, as I'm used to it. Some have commented on the side buttons. Initially, they are a pain, but after about an hour I became used to them, and switching inputs is a press of the second lowest button.

So far, I'm pretty happy. Compared to the LG L246WP I tried last year, this panel is pretty close in quality, and has equal connectivity, with the only caveat being no height adjustment. The only MVA panel I liked better was the BenQ FP241W, but even then, it's a close one (and I am going from memory).

Sorry for the painfully long review, just my $.02 on a VERY cost conscious monitor.

I'll compare it to the BenQ FP241VW soon, as I bought this Westy from Bestbuy and I have 14 days to decide which one I like better, or if I will keep both. Two 24" monitors for less than a thousand would have been unheard of last year.

Regards,

10e

Excellent, I really should check it out. Now, how did the PS3 look in 720p? Any concerns for image quality on fast games? I'm moving into a dorm next year so I need a monitor and 1080p TV for my Sony.

Also how do HD movies look? Again, any notable flaws or observations that are worth making?

I know you just got it and need to calibrate it and everything, but I'm really interested in this monitor. Thanks for the write up so far, really helped :)

Hey Alex,

I haven't tried any movies on it yet (as I've been out a lot over the past few nights) but it is very nice with games on the PS3.

The Westy has a pretty good scaler chip in it. This is important because most PS3 games are in 720p format and need to be "upscaled" to fill the screen (when the screen is higher res) and the PS3 doesn't do this on its own, unlike the 360.

I can say that with the Westy (as compared to every other monitor, and even my 37" LG TV) you get a fairly nice anti-aliased 720P screen and the jagged edges/aliasing are better controlled than other screens.

I'm getting the impression this is a "scaled down" Westy TV (like the 37LVM3 I think) with fewer inputs, but a lot of the same core logic.

So far, so good. Still no dead pixels, and my input lag tests showed that it was in the 20ms range 80% of the time, which is pretty good, with worst case scenario being 40ms (which is rare). I took about 50 pictures and only about 5 to 8 showed more than 20ms input lag.

I'll let you know about movies after a bit of calibration and more testing.

Regards,

10e

The L2410NM will supposedly be on sale next week at Best Buy for $349. Add a 10% coupon
and you have one heck of a deal. As usual, YMMV.

Hey Alex,

I haven't tried any movies on it yet (as I've been out a lot over the past few nights) but it is very nice with games on the PS3.

The Westy has a pretty good scaler chip in it. This is important because most PS3 games are in 720p format and need to be "upscaled" to fill the screen (when the screen is higher res) and the PS3 doesn't do this on its own, unlike the 360.

I can say that with the Westy (as compared to every other monitor, and even my 37" LG TV) you get a fairly nice anti-aliased 720P screen and the jagged edges/aliasing are better controlled than other screens.

I'm getting the impression this is a "scaled down" Westy TV (like the 37LVM3 I think) with fewer inputs, but a lot of the same core logic.

So far, so good. Still no dead pixels, and my input lag tests showed that it was in the 20ms range 80% of the time, which is pretty good, with worst case scenario being 40ms (which is rare). I took about 50 pictures and only about 5 to 8 showed more than 20ms input lag.

I'll let you know about movies after a bit of calibration and more testing.

Regards,

10e

Excellent, thanks for the update

Hey Alex,

Just watched a bit of "Corpse Bride" on the monitor. Still haven't calibrated, but the screen was nice and sharp, motion looked good, and colour wasn't overly saturated or washed out. it doesn't do 1080p/24 but the ps3 takes care of the pull down (24p to 60p) conversion and I noticed no juddering or "frame skipping" type effects.

FYI

So far, still liking the screen. Makes me wish I had purchased an LVM37-W3 instead of my LG 37lb5d. It still strikes me that the L2410NM is just a scaled down (in terms of size and inputs) Westinghouse monitor like the LVM-W3s.

It still impresses me how this screen handles PS3, Xbox 360, PC, HD Set top box with no overscan or picture issues, and recognizes every mode that it can sync to without issue or difficulty. This took BenQ 3 firmware revisions on the FP241W to get right.

Regards,

10e

It's a shame I don't have a local BB to check this out at. Should lug my PS3 out of town to one and see what a 1080p games looks like on it ^_^

Back