Just picked up the Samsung 215tw :)

Lord Rahl

Weaksauce
I am abosutely loving it, but I have a question. Can you raise and lower the monitor? Is the Height Adjustable? There was a little pin int he back and it said to remove it before adjusting height. Well, I removed it, but I can seem to move it up and down. Can somebody explain it to me, lol?

And one more question. I am using my xbox 360 on it and i have it plugged in through Component, but the speakers are really quiet. Is there anyway to adjust the sound? I saw the little speaker looking thing on the OSD but it is dimmed out and I can't select it.

I know its a guy thing to not read manuals but in this case I would give it a shot.

I'm the same way. I will only look at the manual if there is something that I can't figure out.

:D

It didn't come with a manual. Just a bunch of little papers talking about the warranty and health issues...

Wow, I'm stupid, I should have thought of that. Sorry :(

Not only am I dumb for not looking at the website for the manual, but I am also dumb because there is a button on the monitor that adjusts the sound....I just didn't see it...

Lord Rahl said:
And one more question. I am using my xbox 360 on it and i have it plugged in through Component, but the speakers are really quiet. Is there anyway to adjust the sound? I saw the little speaker looking thing on the OSD but it is dimmed out and I can't select it.

are you using 480p, 720p or 1080i? Can you post a pic, please?

I cant post a pic because all I have is a very very crappy webcam :(

I have tried all 3 resolutions. 480p for DVDs on the 360(they look absolutely incredible)

720p for 360 gaming(didn't look so hot, kinda blurry)

1080i for 360 gaming(looks utterly amazing)

I have yet to try it on a computer yet, lol. I bought the monitor with money I got for graduation, but I dont actually graduate til Saturday. My parents let me buy the monitor and desk today, and on Sunday I will be buying a comp to test this sweet display with DVI :)

Btw, I have a little backlight bleeding, but it can ONLY be seen when the monitor is pitch black. Even when watching letterboxed dvds, I can't see it. I haven't tested for dead pixels yet, but I haven't noticed any just by using it on my 360, so if they are there, its not really a problem..

Thx for the info! I think it`s going to be my next monitor!

And btw, congratulations for your graduation!

Considering whether to return the viewsonic 2025 for this, because of the shimmering/anti glare coating.

Is the samsung smooth as hell on the surface? i.e. like the Dells?

Do you find the higher dot-pitch interferes? I guess it's much easier to read being that it's 21" versus the normal 20"?

My 215TW arrived yesterday and so far I love it as well.

Right off the bat I noticed black light leakage in the corners starting to form an X but that was because I've been reading other peoples posts and knew to look for it. I don't think I would have noticed it really otherwise. My dad has a 15" samsung LCD and the back light leakage on that thing is horrible.

I played a bit of Oblivion last night and never noticed the leakage. Nor did I notice ghosting. I also ran Oblivion at a lower resolution, 1024x768 (stretched of course) and didn't see what other people say about stretched games on LCD's. Everything is supposed to be soft and very very crappy looking but I didn't notice it. Maybe I needed to go talk to some NPC's and get some text up on screen or something. I might try again later and pay more attention.

Oh, P.S. no dead pixels! knock on wood.

Yeah, the screen is very smooth looking, although this is my first LCD to own, so I'm not the best to judge. The higher dot pitch, IMO, isn't that bad at all, unless you sit really really close to your monitor. I sit about 3-4 feet away, and it looks very sharp. The colors are GODLIKE, lol. And, yes. It being 21 inches really is nice :)

The monitor is also HDCP compliant and comes with a DVI cable. The Viewsonic is not HDCP, which is one of the main reasons I didn't get it :(

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 1080i is 1920x1080, right? So how would you run something in 1080i on a monitor with a max resolution of 1680x1080?

I'm guessing it takes the 1080i signal and downconverts it to fit on a 1680x1050 monitor.

Back