Kingston Hyper X 8500 2GB (1gb x2) Kit and Kinstons Tech Support

darkangel74

Limp Gawd
I got this kit awhile back with an Asus p5-B Deluxe mobo. Things have been a little weird every now and again but for the most part everything has worked. Well until last night. The mobo starting hanging on boot and then finally wouldn't boot at all. I disconnected everything (CDROM, hard drives, floppy) one at a time and tried to boot the machine. Wouldn't work. So I reseated the RAM, all cables, and anything else that was connect to the mobo and reinserting everything I tried to boot once again. No luck.

So I called Asus. Got in contact with someone pretty quick and they suggested that I try each ram chip in the 3rd slot from the cpu. I do so. Nothing boots. The tech tells me that its either the memory controller on the mobo or the memory. They suggested that I try the memory on another mobo. I tell them that I don't have access to another one or the means (money) to get another one. Which btw the mobo cost me 190 bucks. And then I would have to reseat the cpu and the after market fan I have. Alot of trouble if you ask me.

So I wait to this morning and then try to call Kinston. I get a guy and start to explain my problem. My set up wasn't cheap. And I just can't drop alot of money into a test setup. He tells me that I should try the memory into another mobo. I tell him that isn't an option. He rebutts like its not that big of a deal. I tell him that I dropped alot of money into my machine. I'm not rich and just can't buy new parts at a whim. I tell him that I want to RMA the RAM. He quickly tells me that I have gotten in contact with the EU tech support and call back later with the US.

My point and question is does tech support these days think that its customers have access on a whim to expensive equipment? I just want to replace the components meaning both the mobo and memory as it seems something isn't right. My setup isn't cheap and it kinda angers me that the tech support won't go any further in the process till you have tested the memory in another setup. Again I'm not Mr. money bags and most of my friends are still stuck with much lower powered computer equipment.

You don't have friends? You can go to a computer store and pay them a small amount to have them test it, they can test the mobo with new ram and the ram with another mobo for a small fee if you don't have any friends.

Why pay for someone to test something? It's a needless hastle to jump through for them to diagnose a problem. Yea I have friends and none of them have a mobo that supports that grade of RAM.

I'm used to folks like BFG that are like "sure I'll give ya an RMA." But I did get one when I got a American tech. Took less than 5 min.

I had problems with my memory (hyperX 9600). Emailed kingston, got an answer after some hours. After 2 mails i get a rma formula that sad: Memorys will be replaced with another revision:D
So the memorys are on their way to United kingdom now (live in Sweden myself).
Best and fastest support ever.

My problem was that i could not run the memory in 1200mhz with specified voltage.
But the support asked me if i had tried them on another board which i did.
In your case i understand the support if you dont know if its your mobo or the rams. You got to find out insted of rma both. One of them is faulty but which.

Sorry for any mispelling.

Back