klipsch 5.1 speakers?

bschultz

Weaksauce
I was finally looking into buying some nice Klipsch 5.1 speakers for my computer only to find out they are all discontinued..

Anyone know why? :(

Wow, that is curious. I couldn't say for sure. Perhaps Klipsch no longer finds the surround PC speaker market lucrative.

That's very unfortunate. Now we're down to, essentially, only Creative and Logitech at the high end of the 5.1/7.1 spectrum.

After a bit of poking around I found out that the amps on these systems went out a lot. It seems that their quality control wasn't very good. A lot of people complained of their systems breaking after just 1 or 2 years. which for a speaker system that costs 400-500 bucks... well I don't need to say any more ;)

At one point I was deciding between the klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 and the logitech z-5500s. The klipsches probably sounded better but after reading the discouraging blowout horror stories I went with the logi's.

I've had my Klipsch 2.1's for many years and had to get the amp and one satellite replaced once. Klipsch RMA is a pleasure to deal with as well. I think they charged me like $40 to fix the amp and replace one satellite. Their service after the sale is very good in my opinion. I would do business with them again if they had anything better in the 2.1 area, but they don't. The Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia is about the best 2.1 computer speaker setup you can get in my opinion...but I've moved on to studio monitors for recording purposes. I use the Klipsch for everything else though.

I had a Rev 1.0 Klipsch 5.1 and the amp fizzled out on me year three.

Klipsch replaced the amp with an Ultra (essentially Rev 2.0) amp and its still going strong.
I dont think there is a better set up.
I have since bought the Ultra ProMedia and it has had zero problems in 2+ years (knock on wood)

I also have 2 sets of 2.1 ProMedias, theyre great too.

Id go to EBay. You'll be able to find a ton of the ProMedia sets there. I looked for an amp and subwoofer before I sent it away to Klipsch, there were a ton available. The surrounds and center speakers are essentially the same between Rev1 and Rev2, the Rev2 or Ultra subwoofer amps were built a bit better.

Ditto.. I'm on year 3 here for my Ultra's and they still irritate the neighbors when needed.

From what I have read in reviews, the Z5500s and Klipsch 5.1s are comparable. I personally have Logitechs (partially because I ran into the "whoops, Klipsch discontinued the 5.1 ProMedias" problem). They are very good speakers, especially when paired with an X-Fi soundcard.

Too bad. Most reviewers agreed that the Klipsch sound better than the Z5500's. I own the Z5500's because ClubIT had them on sale for around $260 one time.

Had a set since 2003. Been very pleased...

Might still be available somewhere online. But since my original version of this post, I've realized the retailer links I saw earlier are bad...

There are several Promedia Ultra systems for sale on ebay today at very good prices.

Only problem is the weight will cost you.

I did get my new ones from Best Buy a time ago, you might want to search there as some store may have one left in stock????

I bought a set of Klipsch ProMedia 4.1s back in 2000 in college. I used them blasting full volume for hours on end at more keg parties than I can count...

I just built my first new system in 4 years... and do you know what the only component that lived on was....?

Yeah, the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1s. The only trouble I ever had with them was a bad control pod which Klipsch fixed for free (sent me a new, upgraded one).

These speakers are amazing.

And I'm sure you can still find them on eBay.

I've had the 5.1's for almost 4-5 years now, bought them when they first came out. The amp blew out once, and on a ton of peoples setups but that issue was fixed after a certain revision number in 2003ish i believe. Mine were out of warrenty and they still replaced the amp and paid half the shipping which i didn't think was that bad of a deal. Been going strong ever since, love these things. Granted if you're a bass freak you'll want to hook up another stand alone sub or something else. The bass is some of the cleanest and loudest i've heard on computer speakers but it just can't compare to 2 dedicated 15"s subs running off a separate receiver.

I went through 2 sets of the 5.1's in under a month. Amp died on both of them. This was in 2005.

Went to a Pioneer receiver (with SPDIF) / JBL speaker setup, happy ever since.

At work I have a 2.1 setup that I got on ebay for 15 bucks - the connector was broken that plugs the satellites in to the sub. A quick soldering iron hack and they've been solid for a couple years now.

I'm in the process of trying to hook some Klipsch Quintets up to my Logitech z5500's

I had some old promedia 4.1 speakers and hooked some of them up to my system... it sounded so good, I'm going to order a set of Quintet 5.1's (which i know from experience sound AMAZING compared to the z5500's)

I have the Ultra Pro Media 5.1 since 6months and they are great.... I bought them 50% off since it was discontinued and the store was liquidating the few last they had.. And i assure you, for 300$(canadian) you CANNOT get a better system;) :p

i had the klipsch 4.1, but i decided it wasnt enough so i sold them and upgrded to the original 5.1 setup, it blew on me after 3 years so i got a free replacement/upgrade to the 5.1 ultras and they are still going strong (knock on wood) and sound great :cool:

i think i'd go emo and cut myself if these died :(

I have had the original Promedia 5.1s since 2001, and they are still going strong. After the Z-560 Logitech fiasco, I will never ever recommend Logitech speakers again. Those probablly had a failure rate 10 times that of the Promedia 5.1s, and the RMA process was a complete nightmare. Took 2 months to get a set back, and I sold those immediately.

Sad to see Klipsch leave the PC market, but honestly the money isn't there anymore. At least I can count on them to service my Promedia 5.1s down the road, if needed.

I've bought a used set of Promedia 4.1's on this forum a couple of months ago for a great price. It was a tremendous upgrade over the Logitech X-530's I had before.

I loved me 5.1 but 6 months ago my amp went out

im worried that if I replace it then I will just fail again...

is it worth it to get it replaced? its like 80 bucks right?

I'd say it'd be worth it, depending on shipping and stuff. If you had one of the older amps and it blew then it defiantly would be worth it but if it was a newer one probably wouldn't. I've had mine since they came out blew once and worked fine ever since. They might not be repairing them anymore since they are not selling them anymore so you might want to check that out also.

Back