Kojima shows off FOX Engine. Oh my god...

*Jaw drops to the floor*

It looks awfully like the engine from MGS 4 taken up a few notches. It is really incredible looking.

Also, according to the comments, this game takes place BEFORE MGS 1, 2, and 4.

More news about it here: http://www.examiner.com/article/met...zeroes-footage-kojima-shares-new-game-details

It is a prologue. It is running on a PC. However, the graphics are comparable to the console versions so the difference will be pretty nil.

As we detailed earlier in the week, the demo opens with an in-engine, real-time cut scene set in a prison camp during a torrential rainstorm. The camera follows a shadowy figure that is well dressed accompanied by soldiers and guard dogs. He comes upon a young boy in a prison cell and throws the kid a portable music player which plays “Here’s to You” – the ending credits theme from “Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots”.

Reading more about Fox Engine in the demo. It seems to be a lot like Frostbite 2.0 from DiCE-- it's scalable from consoles up to PCs, realistic cloth simulation and lighting seems to have improved significantly, and can be ported and scaled up to next gen consoles and PCs.

Looks great. However, I am no fan of the shaky-cam 1st person view they use in the cut-scene. Other than that bit of silliness, I can't wait to check it out.

Some odd plastic-like objects, but a good step forward regardless. Also, someone needs to tell that guy when to use hats.

Uh yeah, we're going to need a bigger boat.

Wtf are they running it on? Pretty sure my 670 and 2500K rig isn't up for that level.

vegeta_over_9000.png

some of the graphics looked stunning while some things looked odd. there was WAY to much shine going on there at as almost everything looked like plastic covered in oil. it was weird that the tires looked perfectly round yet the side mirrors on the jeep were not at all. the ground looked odd in places too and the characters feet did not really look natural on the ground either. also the characters faces looked really outdated compared to most of the other graphics.

FUCKING GREAT!

Now we're going to be stuck with slightly better looking Metro 2033 engine graphics with more cloth physics for the next 8 years AFTER the next-gen consoles release...which as we all know hasn't even happened yet.

So yes, while I'll admit this demo looks GOOD, no one is denying this, I'm not all in shock and awe like I SHOULD be when we're talking next-gen...this looks like something my current rig can already do! I mean, sure, its a GIANT leap when compared to current consoles, but when I think next-gen I had a better out look than slightly better than current PC graphics (if we're talking nice port or PC developed of course).

So hmmm...I don't know, what's it called when you are blown away and so very disappointed at the same time? Ambivalence?

And lets face it, Kojima makes some awesome games with the MGS series, in my opinion, being some of the top graphics on every Sony system that has had a MGS game (all of them :p). So just basing my argument that MGS 2 and Snake Eater were arguably some of the better graphics on the PS2 etc etc...I think that this Fox Engine demo is going to be pretty much what you could expect of any next gen game. As in, I don't see the graphics improving THAT much compared to other games.

Man, just like a PC nerd to bitch...

How can it take place before 1 and 2? Snake is old again in this one.
The guy from the third one, not his clone that ages fast you play in the first second and fourth one. So this is after vietnam, which is the third one, I think. I also believe this guy is the antagonist in the NES games. btw spoiler :D

FUCKING GREAT!

Now we're going to be stuck with slightly better looking Metro 2033 engine graphics with more cloth physics for the next 8 years AFTER the next-gen consoles release...which as we all know hasn't even happened yet.

So yes, while I'll admit this demo looks GOOD, no one is denying this, I'm not all in shock and awe like I SHOULD be when we're talking next-gen...this looks like something my current rig can already do! I mean, sure, its a GIANT leap when compared to current consoles, but when I think next-gen I had a better out look than slightly better than current PC graphics (if we're talking nice port or PC developed of course).

So hmmm...I don't know, what's it called when you are blown away and so very disappointed at the same time? Ambivalence?

And lets face it, Kojima makes some awesome games with the MGS series, in my opinion, being some of the top graphics on every Sony system that has had a MGS game (all of them :p). So just basing my argument that MGS 2 and Snake Eater were arguably some of the better graphics on the PS2 etc etc...I think that this Fox Engine demo is going to be pretty much what you could expect of any next gen game. As in, I don't see the graphics improving THAT much compared to other games.

Man, just like a PC nerd to bitch...

Not exactly sure what you're on about. This is for PS3 and XBox 360. Not for any 'so-called' next gen system.

How can it take place before 1 and 2? Snake is old again in this one.

He's talking before Metal Gear SOLID 1 and 2 - not Metal Gear 1 and 2. The main character here in Ground Zeroes is Big Boss. He got old far before Solid Snake came into the picture. Remember, Solid Snake is just a clone of Big Boss.

*Jaw drops to the floor*

It looks awfully like the engine from MGS 4 taken up a few notches. It is really incredible looking.

Also, according to the comments, this game takes place BEFORE MGS 1, 2, and 4.

More news about it here: http://www.examiner.com/article/met...zeroes-footage-kojima-shares-new-game-details

It is a prologue. It is running on a PC. However, the graphics are comparable to the console versions so the difference will be pretty nil.

It is only a prologue to metal gear solid 5... Not the entire series. And this game is NOT mgs5. This is more just going to be about infiltration and missions in "open-world" environments. Just repeating what Kojima said.

"So what else is new about Ground Zeroes? It's a "prologue" to Metal Gear Solid 5, says Hideo Kojima. The open world of Ground Zeroes is literally the entire world – a helicopter can be called to help during missions or ferry Snake in and out of mission levels. Moreover, you can customize the music that the helicopter plays when it arrives to help you ("Flight of the Valkyries" played during the demo we were shown today – Kojima says the louder the song is, the more of a chance of you getting caught, so maybe Slayer wouldn't be the best choice).

Kojima reiterates that Ground Zeroes is a current-gen game, though Fox Engine is scalable for next-gen as well. He wouldn't give specifics on the name, but calls the game "a beginning" rather than an end for the series."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/01/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-gorgeous-open-world-and-not/

I read this off IGN's website and thought it was interesting...

"NOTE: Although this game is based on the advanced FOX Engine, current plans are to release the game on current-generation platforms, with next-generation platforms also a possibility. Please check back for official info."

So we could possibly see this game being released on next gen platforms as well. If so I just may wait for that.

Looks alright, the rain and the darkness can hide a lot of things, I'd like to see some different environments too.

I thought the character faces and animations looked great.

Not exactly sure what you're on about. This is for PS3 and XBox 360. Not for any 'so-called' next gen system.

Oh really? I guess I saw the nice lighting, models, cloth physics, etc and just assumed it was next-gen. If this is for current generation consoles then they are certainly being pushed to the absolute maximum!

Oh really? I guess I saw the nice lighting, models, cloth physics, etc and just assumed it was next-gen. If this is for current generation consoles then they are certainly being pushed to the absolute maximum!

Kojima said it is for current gen consoles, but is scalable for next-gen consoles too.

He's talking before Metal Gear SOLID 1 and 2 - not Metal Gear 1 and 2. The main character here in Ground Zeroes is Big Boss. He got old far before Solid Snake came into the picture. Remember, Solid Snake is just a clone of Big Boss.

Ah, okay. Yeah it's been awhile since I've played the series.

I have never played any of the Metal Gear games so I have no idea what you guys are taking about. :D

Well if you want to check them out, they all play pretty similarly, but 4 is probably the worst in my opinion because there are way too many fucking cutscenes (the ending is seriously 1 hour of just 2 people talking).

I have never played any of the Metal Gear games so I have no idea what you guys are taking about. :D

Post count++?

I'm really hoping this gets released for PC. It's sounding more and more like they have PC in mind so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I don't know, I wasn't really that impressed. Detail seemed lacking, there were other aspects that were good, but it just doesn't scream amazing to me. Hopefully that was the console version and the PC one will kick it up a notch.

I don't know, I wasn't really that impressed. Detail seemed lacking, there were other aspects that were good, but it just doesn't scream amazing to me. Hopefully that was the console version and the PC one will kick it up a notch.

That was the pc version.

Why is the game called Ground Zeroes? Shouldn't it just be Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero?

Well IGN put out their education guesses about all that's in the trailer. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/02/pax-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-demo-impressions
Worth a look for the interested.

Yeah, thanks for that, was actually just thinking I should play through all the Metal Gears, time to leave this thread.

Can't blame anyone for that. You came into a thread discussing a future game in a series without playing any previous game.

Why is the game called Ground Zeroes? Shouldn't it just be Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero?

I'm sure all will be revealed. If it's a part of Les Enfants Terrible, then here is the possibility that it has to do with all of the individuals in the program.

Last edited:
Since when could consoles not playback video? Did I miss something? Because this looks a LOT like a rendered video.

Since when could consoles not playback video? Did I miss something? Because this looks a LOT like a rendered video.

Please read the articles that are posted. All of that was rendered with the in-game engine. Also, at the end of it when Snake shoots one guy in the tower, and then a second tower spots him is gameplay.

Alternatively, if you're too lazy to click a link:

IGN said:
The Fox Engine-driven "current gen" gameplay demo of the game first announced last week in Tokyo offers a first look at our new lead character and new vehicle gameplay, but more importantly it shows what the next Metal Gear Solid game will look like running.

And

IGN said:
First and foremost, the demo shows off the muscle of Fox Engine, looking as next-gen as anything could (Kojima again reiterated that this was not a tech demo, but a true gameplay demo for current-gen systems).

*My bolding*

Last edited:
Open world? This should be awesome. I've been wanting one of these stealth games (splinter cell, mgs) to attempt that.

The shaky camera effects made me feel a little motion sick. It's the same feeling I get from playing some FPS games. Overall, I think it's impressive in some areas (cloth physics in the wind), but lacking in others. The glossy plastic effects on all the objects do no resemble a real-life wet environment at all lol. The rest appear to be camera tricks to make things seem very cinematic in an otherwise stale looking world.

PC release? Wikipedia xbox/ps3 yet ign says all three. (neither are great sources.)
If so I hope it is simultaneous.

The problem with that level of visual quality (and it is excellent) is that the bad stuff like mediocre hand-animation stands out like a sore thumb, esp when it's mixed with motion capture. No amount of shaky-cam or cloth dynamics will completely disguise it.

Back