Lappy for college

NoobToast

Limp Gawd
So, im looking to buy a laptop for college, i would like it to play games, and right now, i have found this Acer Aspire AS6930-6942 , for 750 i dont really think that you could beat the specs for the price. Now, i know Acer has a rep for having crappy customer service and faulty hardware, but for the price idk...what do you guys think. Suggestions are more than welcome. My limit is 800-850.

Thanks

Decent specs for the price. Video card will be good (not the latest games @ max settings, but sufficient). Processor isn't top-of-the-line (i.e. P9500, T9500, etc), but for that price, it's not too bad.

what else do you plan on doing with the laptop? Are you going to take it with you everywhere? Take it to some classes to take notes? Leave it at your desk? What size screen were you thinking of? Even if your budget is 850, you can find a good laptop to suit your needs, you can also use your school to get an education discount at places like HP or Dell. I have found HP to usually have the better deals with their Academic Purchase Program. I'd actually recommend you heading on over to HP, and look at the different laptops you can build for under 850, and doing the same with Dells Discount program. Ususally though, for dell, you have to sign up for a big warranty to reap the best savings, which I dislike.

Take a look here to register for HPs academic pricing

https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/register_app.do

There is also a really good deal on an asus gaming laptop right now in the hotdeals section.

See here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1413804

Last edited:
I'd take your desktop to college for games if possible and get a refurb Thinkpad for everything else.

I'm also looking for a cheap, high performing, sleek notebook for college.

Found this on TechBargains.

Small business deals are always nice. :)

Right now it doesn't get better than this: $699.

Can't best $699 for a pretty darn hardcore gaming laptop that goes for $1149 over @ Best Buy, and is far and away better (gaming-wise) than any >$1k deal I've seen in the last month or so ...

Last edited:
There are often times pretty generous savings on Lenovo T400s if you look around. It's light, it has long battery life, it's very durable, it has a non-glossy screen, and it has decent gfx. It won't come close to maxing out Crysis, but most games are still pretty playable. I got mine for ~930 last October; I've seen them even cheaper as of late, however.

If you dont care about portability then the gateway or Asus look like good choices.

Ill be taking it with me whenever i have my backpack with me, so pretty muck everywhere. Its gotta be durable. I plan on taking notes with it, essays, ill use it for music and movies also, and in my down time, alittle bit of gaming.

I was looking at a HP dv6z

Look for something with a good fast warranty. Lenovo and Dell would be your best choice.

Avoid boutique manufacturers including ASUS as their replacement/repair time can be more than a month. Something you cant afford with college papers to do.

K-TRON

Back