Laptop Performance Issue

forrehmmnd

[H]ard|Gawd
So my boyfriend just recieved his lenovo ideapad y470 laptop, and seems to be having some performance issues. It has an i5 at 2.3ghz, an nvidia 555m, 4gb of ram, so youd think itd be fine, but when he tries to play games such as battlefield bad company two, he lags horrendously even with all the settings turned down all the way. I looked in to it and apparently to turn on the dedicated graphics theres a switch on the side of the laptop, so we tried that but still no dice, it got a little better but its still barely playable on all low.

It should run fine, because i can play it no problem with my i7 at 2ghz, an nvidia 550m, etc..

any suggestions on what to do or how i can fix this?

I assume you mean his video card is an nvidia 550m. This totally looks like it's not switching for you. I believe you can see how this is set in your BIOS.

Nah, its a 555m. and thats what i thought, and hes in a different state for college and doesnt know anything about computers, so telling him to look in the bios would be a huge mistake. is there anything to do through the nvidia control panel?

Should be a setting within Windows to manually force a specific application, BC2 in this case, to only run on the 555m.
Don't have a switchable gfx laptop so I'm not sure where that setting lies, but its software based somewhere in Win7.

Back