Laptop vs. Macbook

.Wiggles.

Limp Gawd
I have been looking at these for awhile and im getting around 1100 dollars back from financial aid, i have a desktop for my main programs and games and would like a laptop or macbook just for college perpous.. i get student discounts on macs and i can get the 13" macbook 1.83ghz core duo for around 1049.. i dont know much about macs but i have friends that have them that absolultly loves them. Ive always been a windows guy but i dont know what to get.. could you guys give me some advice

those macbook's are damn sweet... the 13" seems to be quite an ideal size and the price doesn't hurt either. plus you can't go wrong being able to run OS X and windows

I just got my black macbook for exactly the same reasons. I have a killer desktop so I got the macbook as a good portable laptop for school, and I already have bootcamp set up without a hitch as well. I highly reccomend getting a large HDD to accomodate bootcamp, having 60gigs for OS X and 14.7 for WinXP just doesn't seem like enough to me, so I'm going to upgrade to a 120gig drive and give it 80 OS X and like 34.7 WinXP, that at least sounds human to me, probably because I'm used to 1TB of space on my desktop...

I've built a lot of gaming rigs from athlon XP machines to dual core monsters - and my black macbook is the one computer I've been most happy with. The size is perfect for mobility, the screen is nice, its fast, and mac OS X is awesome. I cringe when I use windows now - I find I'm 10x as productive in OS X. Also, and I've never had a single problem networking my mac to my main PC or a windows shared printer or anything.....its easier to network a mac into a windows network than another windows PC. Go Figure.

*prepares to be flamed by PC!!!!!!11!! people because I said to many good things about a mac*

hungryduck said:
I've built a lot of gaming rigs from athlon XP machines to dual core monsters - and my black macbook is the one computer I've been most happy with. The size is perfect for mobility, the screen is nice, its fast, and mac OS X is awesome. I cringe when I use windows now - I find I'm 10x as productive in OS X. Also, and I've never had a single problem networking my mac to my main PC or a windows shared printer or anything.....its easier to network a mac into a windows network than another windows PC. Go Figure.

*prepares to be flamed by PC!!!!!!11!! people because I said to many good things about a mac*

Dude, that's exactly how I feel right now, everything just worked perfectly on my black macbook, it's been awesome, all the updates went about 1000x faster than gay msupdate and everything made by apple works better on a mac anyway, so my 1000$ of iTunes and both my ipods have new life thanks to the software that is provided on OS X.

I found this awesome IM client called "Fire" at http://fire.sourceforge.net and it supports all the latest IM clients and works great, give that a try man, better than iChat I think.

Go ahead and get it, you'll be very happy.

For the guy who mentioned Fire, try Adium. It's a hell of a lot better.

thought the mac laptops available now only had Core Duo's not Core 2 Duo's

evs said:
thought the mac laptops available now only had Core Duo's not Core 2 Duo's

That is correct. Core Duo, NOT Core 2 Duo. OS X Leopard is unified 32-bit and 64-bit install anyway, and seriously, I have no idea why I'd want to run 64-bit vista or even 64-bit code anytime soon, because most of it is a second thought to these developers.

I will always and will only ever use a Macintosh for my school work.

I went through 4 years of private high-schooling with a nice IBM laptop (celeron m 1.8, 512mb ram, some crap integrated graphics, etc.) and it caused nothing but problems.

Our yearly IT bill (for all 600 students) was close to 96 000$ A local private school 3x our size, using Macintosh (ibook G4) computers, recieved a yearly IT bill closer to 80 000$. Do the math, these Macs just work. Burning boards, fiery batteries and power adapters, faulty screens, cheap plastic bezels, overheating the Intel NB chip, Travelstar HD's (says enough on it's own) etc.

With the Applecare Protection Plan, any Mac notebook is going to be very, very resiliant to expensive repair fees, because they just dont usually have them. I've lost probably 6-7 big assignments due to windows, and vowed never to ever use it again for anything "mission critical."

On the other hand I love PC's too. They're fun to play with. An expensive toy, a hotrodded car. But not a work machine.

That's my 1.02$

I have a blackbook, and its awesome, put bootcamp on it and it runs perfect

if you are anywhere near thingking about saving money, Id go the pc way, I have a mbp because its mandatory in my school

Back