Laptops Affected by NVIDIA Chip Settlement Listed

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you head on over to the NVIDIA GPU Litigation page, you will find a list of over fifty models of laptops affected by the company's faulty GPU settlement. For those of you that aren't sure if you are entitled to compensation, there is an interactive page that lets you check to see if your HP, Dell or Apple laptop is part of the settlement. Thanks to Tikiman2012 for the tip.

To determine whether your model is affected by this lawsuit, please select your Platform or Model from the drop down menu below. If you do not see your Platform on this drop down list, your product is not affected by this lawsuit.

Oh wow I hope my Laptop is part of this settlement. I had my graphics card fail two times in under 2 years. Will check when I get home!

Mine was affected, Apple took great care of me.
For anyone without genmay access, here's my story:

Here's why:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

My MBP had it's screen go out Thursday. I went to a buddies house, VNCd in and backed up all my files since the computer worked fine, the display was just gone.

I brought it to the Apple store Saturday, they confirmed it was the nvidia issue and took it to repair it, 3 years after the warranty expired. From reports I read, they would replace the logic board with Rev 2, and send it back.

They fixed EVERYTHING! The case had dents, the left corner was smashed in (not just dented), the lid didn't shut, the keyboard had beer+more spilled on it, the trackpad had soy sauce leaking through the bottom, they keyboard backlight didn't work, and the battery was basically just a Li-Ion weight on the bottom (no charge). I basically beat the hell out of this laptop over the last 3 years.

It came back with a new case (both sides), the logic board replaced, the memory replaced, the keyboard replaced, the battery replaced (plastic is still on it). Everything except the display is brand new!!

Cliffs:
1) Display went out on MBP, a recognized issue.
2) Apple took it for repair after confirming the issue.
3) MBP came back with 98% new parts, 3 years after the warranty expired.
4) ????
5) Profit.

now bring on the Apple hate :p

well my dv9200 is but my dv9700 not hmmmm i wonder how it going to work as i took the 9200 apart lol

Yeah you got lucky buddy. I had a 3 yr warranty and the first time my card died was at about the 8 month mark. They fixed it that time but it failed again 3 months later. They refused to fix it again because it was apparently "water damage" which I know is BS. This is when I decided to NEVER buy an HP product ever again. Two GPU chips dying within a year and 2 months is NOT acceptable. Yes I keep it well ventilated so it's not a heat issue.

This was like 3 years ago. I still have the laptop so I'm hoping it's a model that is part of the settlement.

Reading this post brings Apple up a notch in my book.... That is good customer service.

I greatly despite most of Apple's products. However, I do admire their customer service.

If that is how they handle all their service issues for their products I might be tempted to get a MBP...

HP BLOWS.

I have a VAIO now, it's great but their CS is dogshit. I bought it a fucking week before the i7 version of my laptop came out, they told me they wouldn't be out for months.. They refused to do anything about it. I was livid, and still am about that.

This if for the faulty laptop GPUs, but some of their video card GPUs had the same problem. Was there ever a lawsuit for that?

Huh. I am a huge non-fan of apple, but they took good care of you. Try not to troll, k?

And I thought that email I got about this was a scam. Gonna have to check my old laptops to see if they fall under this and dig up a receipt

A number of models are missing under that list. Namely, the Thinkpad R61, T61 and T61p, which was pretty hard hit by the GPU issue.

A number of models are missing under that list. Namely, the Thinkpad R61, T61 and T61p, which was pretty hard hit by the GPU issue.

Looks like Lenovo owners are going to have to get their own lawsuit going...

I have a Dell M1210, which is included in the class, but I've never had any trouble with the GPU.

Make sure you dig up any records of repair charges to fix such laptops, you will be reimbursed for those as well.
10. What can I get from the settlement?

Depending on which model you have and whether you paid for repairs, the settlement provides for: (1) a replacement of the NVIDIA chip inside your notebook computer; (2) for a replacement HP notebook computer with one similar in kind and value if you bought a subject HP notebook computer; and (3) for reimbursement of either the entire amount that you spent to have the notebook computer repaired due to a previous failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip or a portion of that amount, depending on the number of people who submit valid claims for reimbursement. All settlement benefits are provided by NVIDIA.

Yeah anyone who is not included in this suit still has the right to sue Nvidia if they were affected by this problem. Also if anyone that is already included in the suit is not satisfied with the terms of the settlement they can write the court to be excluded from the Class to preserve their right to sue Nvidia in the future. No judgment has been handed down on the matter whatsoever so people can get together to bring them to court again.

I bought two HP DV9000 laptops via Costco within the settlement time period. One for my mom but she uses it so infrequently and does nothing that would heat the thing up that it still works great...except a hinge problem. Sent that in for a free fix.

The other one bought at the same time was for a friend out of state. She had the hinge problem but also a video problem. HP when fixing the hinge issue said the video problem was not part of their warranty extension and charge me $300+ which I paid because of the out of state circumstances.

Unfortunately only certain serial numbers are covered in this settlement but not this one. It uses the same nvidia GPU as the others but no coverage for some reason. The issue clearly was a GPU problem.

Since then I've had two desktop nvidia cards go out - a BFG 8800GT and an EVGA 9800GT. Both artifact. EVGA send me a replacement that I finally got around to useing 18 months later and it has a DVI problem and they are sending me a replacement for that one as well - hooray. The BFG card got an RMA from BFG and I sent it in only to get an email saying sorry we are bankrupt no RMA for you.

WTF Nvidia? I own a lot of shares of your fricking stock! Don't treat me like this.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this.

No wonder a year ago my dv6000 had the problem where the screen just stayed black when I turned it on. Glad they replaced it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.

I think My XPS M1330 is covered but Dell has fixed it for free everytime its broke and my grandfather now has the machine. So I don't know if its worth my time

My Dell E1705 fits under the lawsuit, and has had some problems, but I never took it to get repaired, i just made sure to keep it cool and it was happy.

I wonder what kind of card we will/would get under this settlement. Anyone know?

Interesting, I have a HP tx1000 that went bad. It started to get video errors and lost wifi. I never connected the dots to the nVidia situation. It's listed, too. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

I dont see how the ASUS Z71V wasnt included in this, it had an amazing amount of GPU failures.

Good to hear. My M1710 died 2 months out of warranty.

Read the fine print and LOL'd though: $2 Million settlement fund being set aside, and the lawyers are requesting $13 million in legal fees. :eek:

dell gave me a new laptop for my xps m1530 that had issues with the nvidia gpu.

Wow... I'd like to give some scope for how much this problem has affected me.

I bought a Dell Latitude D820 during the time period (March 2007) with an NVIDIA Quadro GPU, and it completely went out on me this summer, only 3-4 months out of my warranty period. The display wouldn't turn on, exactly as the settlement describes it. I paid ~$320 for the replacement part + labor.

Now the bad part: 6 bad motherboards later I still do not have a functioning computer!!! I hope I get every penny back.

*The store I went to is THE go-to store for used Dell sales/service in Austin/Round Rock (Dell's HQ).

Wow... I'd like to give some scope for how much this problem has affected me.

I bought a Dell Latitude D820 during the time period (March 2007) with an NVIDIA Quadro GPU, and it completely went out on me this summer, only 3-4 months out of my warranty period. The display wouldn't turn on, exactly as the settlement describes it. I paid ~$320 for the replacement part + labor.

Now the bad part: 6 bad motherboards later I still do not have a functioning computer!!! I hope I get every penny back.

*The store I went to is THE go-to store for used Dell sales/service in Austin/Round Rock (Dell's HQ).

Forgot to add: Thanks so much [H]ardOCP for letting me know about this!

Of course they took care of you.. NVIDIA paid for it. Hundreds of millions of dollars have already been spent on this, so I don't get why the class action was pursued.

It was already clear that you could get your shit replaced through all OEMs, and NVIDIA was going to foot the bill for the parts *AND* labor for the OEM.

My Dell 1420 with an 8400m GS died two months before my warranty expired. It took about a month to get serviced, but so far it's holding out.

Bah, my purchase is a year and a half outside the most recent allowable date range... (It's a refurb).

Yeah it sucks for Thinkpad owners that got those Quadro cards, I was thinking about getting one when I bought my T61 but I'm glad I cheaped out.

Damn. My Dell Inspiron 1520 is not affected. I figured as much since I have been able to run a 100MHz overclock on its 8600GT for a little more than 3 years.

Dell XPS M1210 here. Been a fancy door stop for close to a year now. I was going to start parting it out and selling it on eBay. I guess I can wait a few more months and get it fixed. One can never have enough computers. :D

is this an american specific lawsuit...
i live in australia and have an e1705 and m1730 :confused:

Back