LCD Monitor for CONSOLE GAMING PURPOSES discussion thread

BA005

Weaksauce
Hi all,

I wont bore you with a long story, so I will get straight to the point. I have decided to purchase a 16:10 LCD for my PS3 and X360 gaming.

Now of course, I would love a 24 inch 1080p job, but I cant really afford it. In Japan (where I live), the absolute cheapest I can buy a BenQ FP241W for is 90,000 Yen ($775 or 400 quid). I dont know about the price of a BenQ FP241VW here, because it has not been released yet. But I'm sure it'll be around the same, seeing as it's basically the same monitor dressed up with some snazzy marketing.

So I have decided to go for either 22 inch, 20 inch or even 19 inch. This is where I have some questions, and I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me out. I'm certainly not an expert on monitors, and 2 days ago I knew nothing about them. Just in the last couple of days, I've been doing a lot of research, reading and window shopping in Akihabara.

Here are a couple of questions to start with..

1) Are there ANY (non Dell) 22 inch models on the market that have the option to do 1:1 pixel mapping?
2) Are there any 22 inch models that have 2ms response time?

I would like a screen that can easily handle Ridge Racer 7, driving at full pelt in 720p, stretched to fit screen mode. Any thoughts?

Finally, my main question is this... I know that 22 inch monitors cannot do 1080p, but they can do 720p. And am I right in thinking that if the monitor doesnt have a 1:1 mapping option, then it will automatically stretch to full screen?

If this is true, then would the stretched 720p image look better on a 20 inch, simply because there is less stretch. Or even on a 19 inch, where the native resolution is 1440x900. 900 - 720 is only 180 lines, so less stretching. Would 720p look EVEN better on a 19 inch. I was looking at the BenQ FP94VW today (19 inch). It has a 2ms response time. Would my 720p games look better on this than on a 22 inch? Please share any personal experiences :)

I think if I decide to go for a 22 inch model, I'll get either the BenQ FP222WH or the LG L226W (because of it's 2ms response time).

But what I would really like is to hear your experiences of playing games in a stretched to full screen 720p picture on either 22, 20 or 19 inch LCD monitors. And some photos would be REALLY appreciated!!!!

Many, many thanks in advance, and I hope we can keep this post going, to gather some good points of experience to help everyone.

Cheers
:cool: :cool: :cool:

I am in school now, so I have to be short, do some research on the samsung 226BW, I'll post again w/ more info when I get home. :D

Thanks. Do you know the name of the administrator? I accidentally posted this thread twice, but I cannot delete the other one!!!

I have a Samsung 215TW, its pretty great for inputs, and is a pretty high quality LCD.

DVI, and VGA, along with Component, Composite, and S-video. It has built in speakers (but theyre pretty worthless for anything but Windows 'dings')

The other inputs host my Xbox 360 (via VGA adapter, or Component), Xbox (via Component), GameCube (S-video), and Wii (Component or Composite).

Apart from the connectivity options, its a great monitor, although you might pay extra for the extra connections.

Also has a headphone pass-through on the front, which is a nice feature.

I have a Samsung 215TW, its pretty great for inputs, and is a pretty high quality LCD.

DVI, and VGA, along with Component, Composite, and S-video. It has built in speakers (but theyre pretty worthless for anything but Windows 'dings')

The other inputs host my Xbox 360 (via VGA adapter, or Component), Xbox (via Component), GameCube (S-video), and Wii (Component or Composite).

Apart from the connectivity options, its a great monitor, although you might pay extra for the extra connections.

Also has a headphone pass-through on the front, which is a nice feature.
Great, thanks for letting me know.
Are you able to help me out with my 720p questions...?

How does Gamecube and Wii look like on component and S-Video inputs? Do they look good? I've read that the inputs on this monitor (except vga and dvi) are not great quality.

Great, thanks for letting me know.
Are you able to help me out with my 720p questions...?

Yea, I got a few more minutes at school, a monitor will only display 720, not 1080, but let me tell you, tou won't notice, it still looks sweet.

BTW almost every most (I dont know of one that won't) moddern monitors will display 720p

Hope that helps, I will have more when I get home...prob in about 4-5hrs.

Ok, so heres the deal;

If you are looking to buy a 22" monitor go with the Samsung, it has 2ms rsponse time, and is fairly cheap considering. I have to say, DON'T go with the LG, it has ghosting issues out the butt, I know from personal experience.

If you want to go for a 20" I really like the Dell 2007FPW, yes it is really expensive conserdering, but in my opinion it is well worth it. I am currently in the market for a monitor myself for my xbox 360 and I think I am gong for the Dell.

I am not certian on the stretching thing, seeing as how I do not own a WS monitor, but I hear it is not a factor. Just please, if you are going for a 22", dont go with the LG, PLEASE!! You wont regret it. (I am not sure about the BenQ, but the Samsung is awsome!!)

Hope that helps! :D

Yes, that does help BIGJ, thanks!!

Does anyone else not rate the LG? I was looking at it, simply because of it's 2ms response time.

What's the model number of the 22 inch Samsung you mentioned?

Its the 226BW.

Glad to help. :)

If you need anymore, I am fairly well researched, just hit me up w/ a PM

Yes, I've heard the Dell 2007FPW has a lush S-IPS screen, but with a 16ms response time, is that too slow for fast gaming?

Please advise.

The 226BW looks good, but I cant seem to find it in Japan. Does anyone know if the model number changed for Japan?

I curently have my 360 hooked up to a 15" lcd, with a 24ms response time, I cant lie, I can tell no difference at all from that to a "gaming" TV. For me at least, and many others as I have read, Until you hit that 20ish ms time you really cant tell a difference, just think of it this way, the best TVs are at like 6ms response time in their "game mode" Trust me 16ms, and you wont notice, unless you are looking directly at a 16ms screen, and a 2ms screen, and even then...I play on Live all the time and still own noobs, so trust me, you wont notice.My point is that you shouldnt base you choice on response times, they dont even do it for real now, they cheat, they go from grey to grey, not white to black.

The 226BW looks good, but I cant seem to find it in Japan. Does anyone know if the model number changed for Japan?

Yea I think I can help with this too, do you speak chinese? I hope so, there is a video review, and a 9 page review, I dont know how to post links but I will post the site, you just copy and paste it;

You can click on the links that are right after my response, it like the 5th one down

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1144130&page=8

Fancy huh, I told you I was researched!! :cool:

Are S-IPS panels more bright and vibrant than TN ones? Or is the benefit of S-IPS that you can see the screen from tight angles?
Because I only ever sit directly in front of the screen anyway!
The guy in the shop had me, looking at the screens at an acute angle from the side. I told him that I don't sit to the side of my monitor!!

I was never very clear on that myself, I know it does have something to due with viewing angles, but I am not sure if that is the whole thing or not.

Looks like I fell short. :eek:

If this is strictly for console gaming, then a 720p (though 1080p will also work) LCD TV would be best for XBox 360, and a 1080p LCD TV would be best for PS3.

LCD monitors are 16:10, which means scaling and loss of image quality.

If this is strictly for console gaming, then a 720p (though 1080p will also work) LCD TV would be best for XBox 360, and a 1080p LCD TV would be best for PS3.

Not exactly true, yes it may stretch, but that does not cause loss of image quality, it will still display 720, and do it very well, I personally prefer it over a TV

1080p wont work on a 22 inch though will it? Because a 22 inch has only 1050 vertical lines!!

720p stretched only (and must be stretched, because there are no 22 inchers with 1:1 pixel mapping)

I've checked, Samsung don't do the 226BW in Japan. They do a 225, but I dont think it has HDCP.
So if I cant get the Samsung, and you're saying the LG is shite, then which non Dell 22 inch should I get?

How about the BenQ FP222WH?

I've checked, Samsung don't do the 226BW in Japan. They do a 225, but I dont think it has HDCP.
So if I cant get the Samsung, and you're saying the LG is shite, then which non Dell 22 inch should I get?

How about the BenQ FP222WH?

bumps this question!

Not exactly true, yes it may stretch, but that does not cause loss of image quality, it will still display 720, and do it very well, I personally prefer it over a TV

Stretching always causes loss of image quality. Even 1:1 pixel mapping causes a very slight loss of quality (I notice it in text).

Back