Lenovo L220X

I have one on order. It should arrive in the next few days and I'll try to post some feedback.

There are a few review threads around already.

My L220x arrived Tuesday. I'm an IBM employee and got it at a discount. I'm having a busy time and can't really take time to do a good review, but I'll post a quick impression.

Colors are indeed quite vivid. Sometimes the effect is pleasant, sometimes a bit odd.

The matte finish on the screen is far less objectionable to me than those on two other monitors I've tried, a Dell 2007 and a Benq 24". Brightness level is easily adjusted to a level not as retina-searing as that on the Benq. I seem to prefer monitors with a tight dot pitch, so for me that's a point in this one's favor compared with 24" models with the same resolution.

Images and video seem a little less detailed than on my NEC 20WMGX2, and video seems not quite as smooth. The lenovo seems to produce more heat than the NEC, but less than the Benq did. The NEC has what is apparently what is a common problem for this model, creeping discoloration at the top of the screen. I'm sending it in for repair or probably replacement, but I'm not very confident of a high quality replacement without bad pixels, etc.

All in all I find the monitor relatively tolerable right out of the box, and I'm a picky sort. I may keep it.

Thanks for the mini-review!

I'm a bit confused on the last part though, is your NEC having problems with the discoloration or the Lenovo?

Oh that's unfortunate. I was actually considering the NEC.

Thanks again!

I had the 20wmgx2 and the Lenovo - there's no comparison. The 20wmgx2 is in a league of it's own.

The Lenovo looks washed out, in addition to being grainy/sparkly. There is also a batch that may have had a problem with the text rendering being hard to read. I think I had one of those units.

http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=180

My Lenovo isn't at all washed out looking, but I do prefer the NEC image and video quality. I hope they send back a decent one. From other posts to the forum I gather that the creeping discoloration that showed up on mine is a common problem.

I should also mention that my NEC didn't handle gradients well - it showed noticeable banding. That didn't bother me for most purposes.

By the way, Mamboking, are you sure you had the hiigh-res wide gamut L220x and not the D221, Lenovo's normal resolution 22" monitor?

I had the wide gamut high resolution Lenovo. The oversaturation kind of bothered me. I'm using an NEC 2490 now, and I still miss the glossy coating on the 20wmgx2.

You have to use a hardware calibration device like the Eye-One display 2 (the best one out there) to properly calibrate the individual RGB channels to get the best out of your display.

Back