Leopold Browns first impressions

Dethman

[H]ard|Gawd
I did A LOT of research before buying this. Read all about the different switches, brands, pricing. And outweighed everything. Including the fact that it was 100+ for a keyboard that at a glance, should cost 5 dollars. This is my first mechanical. Not taking pictures because you can find pictures all over the net.

I am in IT in the bay area, I'm 24, been on a computer gaming since I was 8 or so. Wolfenstien, duke, quake etc... and played all big FPS games over the years. I am on a computer for about 10 hours a day or so. 8 at work, and 2 at night. I am coming from a Dell standard membrane keyboard, and a G15 Logitech which is also standard

I figured that I am on a computer for a lot of my time, so I might as well be efficient and comfortable. 100 dollars for something you use 40-50 hours a week is defiantly worth it.

I got the white leopold ten key-less browns Otaku version. Which means the keys are blank. I have had a small issue hitting the wrong numbers or shift keys. I needed a % and had to hit 2-3 keys before I got it. But I also needed a * and I get that one correct every time, and its because I used * as a wildcard in my ticket software at work. The keys with no letters makes the keyboard look cleaner, and I like the minimal look. For gaming, there would be no reason not to get the Otaku imo, but if you are going to be typing a lot or using it to program or something, the letters on the keys might be a good idea. The idea is for the keyboard to speed you up, not slow you down.

I have never really tried different switches except for black I think, but I do like the browns for typing. I am still bottoming out keys of-course, but i plan on trying to practice not doing that and see if that makes a difference. The nice thing about the browns is that after the tactile bump, but key is harder to push down and is increasingly so, so you can sort of feel when you can pull up, not to mention you can just watch what you are typing.

I also like the fact that I can get my hand from the mouse over to the keyboard and back much faster since I don't have the 10 key. I do miss the enter key on the keypad though, as I used it all the time after pasting something with Ctrl V. I will just have to get used traveling a little further.

When you read reviews, you expect to take it out of the box, and something magical is suppose to happen. That's not really the case. I am the same however with most everyone that gets a mechanical keyboard. I won't ever be going back. At-least for my primary desktop. I will probably pick up another one with reds for my gaming computer. and use the browns for work.

The keyboard is solid, and really feels sturdy as fuck. I will have this for a long time. I will reply in this thread later after I get some SC2 and BF3 gaming in. That is about all I can think of now, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

(PS: I listen to reggae and smoke all the time (to give you an idea of who I am), and really do not appreciate negativity, or speaking badly about someone, so I ask that you please don't bring it into this thread. Thanks)

Nice. I think i might get some white blank key caps for my das keyboard. The only part is, i'm just gonna get blank whites for the letters and words. I don't wanna go straight hard core blank key caps.

but if you are going to be typing a lot or using it to program or something, the letters on the keys might be a good idea. The idea is for the keyboard to speed you up, not slow you down.

I been reading that the blank key caps actually help improve typing speed because it forces you to learn the keys and not rely on looking at them.

Welcome to the world of mechanical keyboards. :D I too am contemplating getting another mechanical with different switches just to try it out. Seems like an expensive road to travel.

When I made the decision to buy the Filco Majestouch-2 it was down to that or the Leopold Tenkeyless. While, I'm glad I made the decision to get the Filco, everything I've read seems to put them neck and neck as far as quality goes.

I'm definitely a supporter of the no-numpad keyboards now. I figured that I would miss the numpad but I hardly ever used the thing and the decreased space between the keyboard and mouse is a definite plus.
I been reading that the blank key caps actually help improve typing speed because it forces you to learn the keys and not rely on looking at them.
Dunno how true that is if you touch type to begin with.

One thing I am afraid of is that training yourself to not bottom out keys will make you suck on any membrane keyboard. For that reason and sound I just o-ring modded my daskeyboard

I bought a RK-9000 with Cherry blues for home about two weeks ago. I liked it so much I bought an RK-9000br with Cherry browns for the office. I figured my cube mates would be driven crazy by the clicking from the Cherry blues.

I HATE the Cherry browns after using Cherry blues. It didn't take more than 30 seconds on the Cherry browns to realize how bad it is. To me, the Cherry browns feel almost as mushy as the Dell keyboard I normally use all day. It isn't a $90 improvement.

I'm going to bring the RK-9000 with the Cherry blues to work tomorrow to see if it will work or not.

thats weird, I thought the feel was suppose to be the same. your just suppose to hear more with the blue..

I am using the leopold at work, and have been going home and gaming on my G15, and the G15 just sucks.

I am a recent new convert to mechanicals too.

When I was shopping, I also thought that browns would be nice, a tactile bump without the loud click. But as belfert mentioned, the feel isn't the same. The blues feel a whole lot nicer to type with. Of course, this is all subjective in the end, but because of the feel, I ended up with a CM Storm with blues. Am loving it for typing at work. :)

Back