LG L227WTG-PF now available

None at all really.

As long as you can select centred timings on your PC and get some "close to full" resolutions at 1:1 such as 1600x900 I don't think that is all so important. I know on my BenQ, with the specific setting of 1:1 aspect ratio, I never select it.

My Westinghouse doesn't even have a 1:1 setting and I'm happy as long as it correctly scales aspect ratios like 1280x720/720p up to 1920x1080 with black bars top and bottom.

Regards,

10e

So now I'm debating between this monitor in the thread or the W2252TQ? What benefit would 1:1 help if I'm not really going to hook up my monitor to anything other than my PC? If I want to see HD videos or movies, I'll have my PC connected to my 46" LCD for that. So would u guys recommend the L227WTG over the W2252TQ for my uses? I'm not concerned about the price since I could always find a 10% coupon for BB at my post office.

You can hook a pc up to it and run "dead pixel buddy" and cycle through all the colors, but admittedly, it's not the best test, because I've had dead pixels show up three hours after I brought them home, which bites hard, even though when I cracked them open, they showed no issues on DPB.

Good luck,

10e

Im going to return my samsung with the stuck pixel and go get this tomorrow. Is there anyway to check if it has dead pixels at the store?

Probably not,

The best strategy would be to bring a laptop or something and connect it via VGA or DVI and try out Dead Pixel Buddy, or bring a memory stick and see if you can use it on the computer they have connected to it.

Regards,

10e

They actually had dead pixel buddy on one of their laptops and were able to test it out for me

Anyone else have this monitor? What settings do you like using? I have been messing around with them for a while.

calibration is good out of the box, but dont go below 70 contrast or else you will get noticeable color banding, you can verify this by using this website, use the grey shaded area to test for color banding

http://www.lagom.nl/

calibration is good out of the box, but dont go below 70 contrast or else you will get noticeable color banding, you can verify this by using this website, use the grey shaded area to test for color banding

http://www.lagom.nl/

I was able to notice color banding on this website because I did have it below 70. Thanks it doesnt happen at all now.

This monitor is really nice. I love it.

I got this monitor and I'm trying to get the best settings for video gaming. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

I am messing with them too (for gaming) Let me know if you find something good and ill do the same. So far I found that contrast looks best on 70.

And is anyone else having trouble finding the drivers for this monitor?

I currently own the Samsung 2253BW monitor that a few of you have mentioned. I just bought it and it's my first LCD monitor. What I don't like about it mostly is the backlight bleeding, which is most noticeable on the top as well as a little on the sides.

I've been doing some research on monitors and for my price range I'm planning on picking up the LG 227WTG on Friday and will be comparing the two. I am aware that it has a glossy finish versus the matte finish on my Samsung, but I will mostly be comparing image quality and any backlight bleeding as well as features and etc.

I'm a web designer and sit in front of my monitor for hours and hours on end. I'll report back as soon as I decide which I honestly think is better.

I will say, though, that the Samsung is really nice other than the backlight bleeding. It's only noticeable when looking at my desktop or watching movies but is not terrible. Probably tolerable by most but for around 300 bucks, I want the best in that price range. My brother has a 19" LCD HP monitor that came with his desktop and it has absolutely no backlight bleeding, so I believe that a monitor that's more expensive and is a well known brand should not have backlight bleeding that's noticeable at all. Thanks.

Can't wait to see the reviews on this one either. I was waiting for the Samsung "T-series" to come out at the end of this month, but now I think I might get this monitor. Can't wait to see all the posts!

I currently own the Samsung 2253BW monitor that a few of you have mentioned. I just bought it and it's my first LCD monitor. What I don't like about it mostly is the backlight bleeding, which is most noticeable on the top as well as a little on the sides.

I've been doing some research on monitors and for my price range I'm planning on picking up the LG 227WTG on Friday and will be comparing the two. I am aware that it has a glossy finish versus the matte finish on my Samsung, but I will mostly be comparing image quality and any backlight bleeding as well as features and etc.

I'm a web designer and sit in front of my monitor for hours and hours on end. I'll report back as soon as I decide which I honestly think is better.

I will say, though, that the Samsung is really nice other than the backlight bleeding. It's only noticeable when looking at my desktop or watching movies but is not terrible. Probably tolerable by most but for around 300 bucks, I want the best in that price range. My brother has a 19" LCD HP monitor that came with his desktop and it has absolutely no backlight bleeding, so I believe that a monitor that's more expensive and is a well known brand should not have backlight bleeding that's noticeable at all. Thanks.

There is hardly any backlight bleed on mine. I think you will be very happy with this monitor.

I had two samsung 223BWs that had dead pixels so I returned them and got this one.

Picture is wayyy better and backlight beed is much better on this one.

I didn't know anything about the T series. I do now. They look pretty nice. Wonder what the specs will be for the smaller versions of the 24"/26".

EDIT: I'm looking at a picture of a 22" T series Samsung and the specs appear to be the same except for the HDMI port I believe.
2ms response time with a dynamic contrast ratio of 20000:1. I wonder what the typical contrast ratio is.

There is hardly any backlight bleed on mine. I think you will be very happy with this monitor.

I had two samsung 223BWs that had dead pixels so I returned them and got this one.

Picture is wayyy better and backlight beed is much better on this one.

Thanks! That makes me even more anxious to check it out.

I didn't know anything about the T series. I do now. They look pretty nice. Wonder what the specs will be for the smaller versions of the 24"/26".

EDIT: I'm looking at a picture of a 22" T series Samsung and the specs appear to be the same except for the HDMI port I believe.
2ms response time with a dynamic contrast ratio of 20000:1. I wonder what the typical contrast ratio is.

I remember reading that the T series would have 5ms response

Annnnnnd we're back...

Alright, so I just fired up the LG L227WTG. I am comparing this monitor with the Samsung 2253BW that I just unhooked from my computer.

The LG has backlight bleeding but less compared to the Samsung. There is a little on the sides but in my opinion not as bad as the Samsung. If you aren't familiar with either monitor, both have about the same specs and features with the LG having a greater DC ratio. Ignore this though, as that's not the typical DC that you'll get.

Screen height: The LG sits higher than the Samsung. 15.8" versus 16.7". Neither have height adjustment but both have swivel on the bottom. It was pretty hard for me to tilt the LG. I had to remove the monitor from the stand just to tilt it.

Colors: Both display colors excellently. Neither of them had stuck or dead pixels, which is good because I've seen a few people saying their LG had a dead pixel. I meant to have bestbuy check mine out before I left but I forgot so I'm really happy it doesn't have any.

Color banding: It is true if you drop the contrast of the LG below 70 that you can see color banding but you shouldn't need to drop the contrast ratio at all. I witnessed no color banding on the Samsung while changing contrast ratio. I changed no settings on the LG straight out of the box. The Samsung was REALLY bright so I dropped it's brightness down but this is totally user preference.

Response time: Both had excellent response time. Either would be great for gaming. I witnessed no ghosting effects or lag.

That's about all I can say pretty much.
Currently, the LG is on sale at Best Buy for 289.99 and the Samsung is on sale at Circuitcity for 309.99. The Samsung comes with a 1yr warranty where as the LG comes with a 3yr warranty.

If you are looking for a straight up really good replacement for a CRT, the LG is definitely the way to go. Remember that the LG has a glossy screen and the Samsung has a matte screen. The LG looked like crap in Best Buy but that's because they had it under horrible conditions such as an ass load of lights all over the place and it had crappy images being displayed on it. The glare on the LG is a little better compared to a CRT. I'm a night dweller, though and have a very small window in my room with a piece of cardboard over it. I typically don't turn on the light but right now it's on and the glare isn't bothering me.

So, what it all boils down to is can you tolerate a little glare or backlight bleeding more?
Bad viewing angles but rich vibrant color on the LG versus a much better viewing angle and some what bland colors on the Samsung?
289.99 versus 309.99

In conclusion, I can tell you I'm taking the Samsung back.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Complete specs can be found here:
Samsung 2253BW http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...05808/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

LG L227WTG http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...I?skuId=8739118&type=product&id=1201913867539

EDIT: the vertical viewing angle of the Samsung is better than the LG but the LG definitely displays more vibrant a richer colors. I'd describe it as candy for your eyes, haha. So that makes up for a worse viewing angle.

Annnnnnd we're back...

Alright, so I just fired up the LG L227WTG. I am comparing this monitor with the Samsung 2253BW that I just unhooked from my computer.

The LG has backlight bleeding but less compared to the Samsung. There is a little on the sides but in my opinion not as bad as the Samsung. If you aren't familiar with either monitor, both have about the same specs and features with the LG having a greater DC ratio. Ignore this though, as that's not the typical DC that you'll get.

Screen height: The LG sits higher than the Samsung. 15.8" versus 16.7". Neither have height adjustment but both have swivel on the bottom. It was pretty hard for me to tilt the LG. I had to remove the monitor from the stand just to tilt it.

Colors: Both display colors excellently. Neither of them had stuck or dead pixels, which is good because I've seen a few people saying their LG had a dead pixel. I meant to have bestbuy check mine out before I left but I forgot so I'm really happy it doesn't have any.

Color banding: It is true if you drop the contrast of the LG below 70 that you can see color banding but you shouldn't need to drop the contrast ratio at all. I witnessed no color banding on the Samsung while changing contrast ratio. I changed no settings on the LG straight out of the box. The Samsung was REALLY bright so I dropped it's brightness down but this is totally user preference.

Response time: Both had excellent response time. Either would be great for gaming. I witnessed no ghosting effects or lag.

That's about all I can say pretty much.
Currently, the LG is on sale at Best Buy for 289.99 and the Samsung is on sale at Circuitcity for 309.99. The Samsung comes with a 1yr warranty where as the LG comes with a 3yr warranty.

If you are looking for a straight up really good replacement for a CRT, the LG is definitely the way to go. Remember that the LG has a glossy screen and the Samsung has a matte screen. The LG looked like crap in Best Buy but that's because they had it under horrible conditions such as an ass load of lights all over the place and it had crappy images being displayed on it. The glare on the LG is a little better compared to a CRT. I'm a night dweller, though and have a very small window in my room with a piece of cardboard over it. I typically don't turn on the light but right now it's on and the glare isn't bothering me.

So, what it all boils down to is can you tolerate a little glare or backlight bleeding more?
Do you want a 3yr warranty or a 1yr warranty for free?
289.99 versus 309.99

In conclusion, I can tell you I'm taking the Samsung back.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Complete specs can be found here:
Samsung 2253BW http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...05808/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

LG L227WTG http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...I?skuId=8739118&type=product&id=1201913867539

EDIT: the vertical viewing angle of the Samsung is better than the LG but the LG definitely displays more vibrant a richer colors. I'd describe it as candy for your eyes, haha. So that makes up for a worse viewing angle.

Thanks for the nice reviews. My only question would be are you sure the Samsung only has a one year warranty? All of the Samsung's I've seen before have a 3 year warranty as long as you register the product after purchase.

Yeah, thanks for the good head-to-head review. I am also looking at both of these, so it's much appreciated.

Since you asked if we had any questions......

Could you maybe clarify / explain whether or not BOTH monitors do 1:1 pixel mapping ?

If so, how good are they at doing it ? Also, what about running non-native resolutions and letting the monitor "stretch" it out ? ( I know it will look cr@ppy, but it's new for 22-inchers to do this.) I believe it was the Prad.de review of the LG that gave it high praise for it's interpolation abilities at doing this.

Thanks again !

Thanks for the nice reviews. My only question would be are you sure the Samsung only has a one year warranty? All of the Samsung's I've seen before have a 3 year warranty as long as you register the product after purchase.

woops! You're correct, it does come with a 3yr parts and labor warranty. Not sure why I thought it was only a year. Sorry about that. It's worth noting, though, that I've read several places that Samsung as a company are douches about honoring warranties. For instance, if you go look up an HDTV by them, some people say they couldn't get Samsung to fix it while it was still under warranty, but this may just be their bad practice for tv's, not sure honestly.

Yeah, thanks for the good head-to-head review. I am also looking at both of these, so it's much appreciated.

Since you asked if we had any questions......

Could you maybe clarify / explain whether or not BOTH monitors do 1:1 pixel mapping ?

If so, how good are they at doing it ? Also, what about running non-native resolutions and letting the monitor "stretch" it out ? ( I know it will look cr@ppy, but it's new for 22-inchers to do this.) I believe it was the Prad.de review of the LG that gave it high praise for it's interpolation abilities at doing this.

Thanks again !

Both monitors have 1:1 pixel mapping according to the program I just ran to test it. It's probably not as good as it should be though. I can see horizontal lines moving vertically. They both look like total crap when running non-native resolutions, haha.

So in this aspect they're both equal.
As a web developer, I should honestly be going with the Samsung for more "accurate" colors. I'm just reiterating the bad viewing angle of the LG. If you move your head like at all it changes the colors of things by making them darker/lighter. I haven't taken the Samsung back yet so I may change my mind, haha.

If you will be using your monitor to view movies or play games, the LG is certainly better for this. If you are just surfing the internet and using applications or editing images, the Samsung is highly recommended because you won't notice backlight bleed at all. You also won't really notice it if you keep lights on while working on your computer.

just grabbed this monitor and hooked up my 360 to it. only resolution that works is 1280x720 everything else is all over the screen. anyway to fix this? my westy L2210NW filled the screen on every resolution for my 360.

any have alot of bleeding on the bottom? all black screen seems to look bad

so how does this monitor do with high def content? anyone compared this to the hp 2207? any pics? ;)

I just picked up a LG L227WTG-PF at best buy last night. It was on sale for $289.99. I have always dreaded purchasing a new monitor even going way back, as you never really know if you'll be happy with it until you get it home and all hooked up and adjusted, and I hate having to box it all up and return it and try another one, etc. At least it's not as bad as in the CRT days.

I was using an NEC 70GX2 17" for the past 2 or 3 years. It's just a 17" I know but it was a great LCD. Glossy screen, 4ms response, almost no backlight bleed at all, great colors. I was happy with it except for the size which was just too small these days and graphics cards have become powerful enough to push 1680x1050 at respectable FPS so I figured it was time to upgrade.

I unboxed the LG and hooked it up. Cable management on the LCD is basic but does the trick. It does not come with a DVI cable but I just used the one I had. The LCD itself is glossy all over.. the bezel, the screen itself, and the stand. I like the glossy look, but I know others prefer matte.. I turned on the PC and right away I was impressed even at the stock settings. The colors were very good, and skin tones were even better than on the 70GX2. The LG is a TN panel but I thought the colors were just fine. I turned the brightness down to 90 from the 100 it was set at. One thing I was very happy about is that this LCD does not make any buzzing noise at all. I am picky about that and have had screens in the past that do this. Even my 32" Panasonic LCD I use just as a TV buzzes like crazy. I saw no dead pixels on mine after running dead pixel buddy. Backlight bleed was minimal. I would say it scores very well in this area. I love the glossy screen.. glossy screens always seem to have a little extra color and clarity, at least to my eye.

I played some UT2004, Titan Quest, Crysis, STALKER, HL 2, and Bioshock and was very happy. Colors are vibrant and response time is great at 2ms. Games are very nice on this screen. Working on the windows desktop is fine. The text is very readable and did not fatigue my eyes. I can confirm this LCD does have 1:1 pixel mapping too. I prefer widescreen for all my games but if I need to run one that does not support WS, I'm happy it has this feature.

I'm trying to think of some negatives but it's hard because it's exceeded my expectations and there is nothing bothering me about it. 22" seems a good size.. it's big enough but not dominating. There is some screen tearing when vsync is disabled in games since the monitor runs at 60hz refresh rate. I think this occurs on all LCDs to some extent when vsync is turned off though. Viewing angles are typical for TN, but seem better than the 17" NEC I replaced, and that was much smaller screen.

Overall, I think this is a great LCD for the price, and I tend to be pretty picky about things, esp. my PC setup. I held off on the Samsung 2253BW b/c of all the talk about the backlight bleed, and I almost went with the HP w2207h, but was really looking for a 2ms screen. I can't wait for someday when OLED screens are mass produced.. OLED seems to be the holy grail of display technology.

can you turn off 1:1 pixel mapping on this screen?

Yes, there is an option in the menu to turn off 1:1. It defaults to off from the factory. When I first booted up with the LG, my windows desktop (set to 1280x1024 from my old LCD) was stretched to fit the entire screen.

well that sucks i would have bought this if it could do true 1:1.

This would be the perfect monitor, IF, it didnt have color banding below contrast 70, 70 contrast is wayy to washed out for me.

its a pretty sweet monitor, but I kind of like the L2210NW better. wish you could turn of 1:1 pixel mapping.

I looked on LG's website and this monitor isn't listed. Best Buy only seems to be carrying it. :(

Someone mentioned that they didn't like high contrast because it was hard on the eyes. Can you elaborate on that? I've noticed with some monitors my eyes get very red and bother me after just 4 or 5 hours whereas others no problem.

2nd question - If you bring the contrast down to, say 70, from 100. Is that decreasing the contrast ratio from 1000 to 700?

Has anyone tried this monitor with a ps3 via hdmi>dvi or a xbox360 via vga? Does it work with 720p and 1080p? And does it put the black bars on the top and bottom so that the orginal aspect ratio is maintained? I would like to play console games on it occasionally and watch some blu-rays.

Since the max resolution of both monitors is 1680x1050 there is no chance that they can display 1080i/1080p. To display 1080i /1080p the screen must be capable of doing 1920x1080 (or higher).
720p is not an issue. 720p is 1280x720.

I own the Samsung 2253BW since several days. It has some minor black bleeding issues but I really don't care.
When I work with my computer I usually work with a GUI. As soon you work with a graphical interface "black bleeding" is totally uninteresting for you (even if you watch movies/ playing games) except you use a black screen saver and you are picky that the screen isn't completely black. When I'm working with a Solaris or Linux console session I don't even recognize it.

Black bleeding is a problem with almost all LCD Displays. And with higher contrast ratios this won't get better either. The glossy from the LG might reduce the black bleeding because it makes the color black more "intense".

As I know a lot of designer / graphic artists don't like the glossy because it makes the pictures / colors too "shiny". The matte screen displays colors more "realistic".
On other hand the glossy makes movies watching experience "better" because the picture seems a bit more vivid. But the Samsung has a very bright and colorful picture for a matte screen. And this definitely minimizes the advantage to the LG Glossy screen.

Both Monitors have their advantages and disadvantages.
If you do a lot of office work, internet surfing, etc... you might like the Samsung better.
For multimedia stuff (like watching movies) the glossy screen of the LG has some advantages.
And for the gamers.... Either screen will be great....

Matte screens also have their advantage if you work several hours daily on your computer. It makes your eyes easier to stay focus on the screen (because you don't have this "mirror effect") and you may experience less headache.

Most people are average consumer and they doesn't care about the contrast difference between two different LCDs cause they honestly don't care. Because of this, all LCD screens will make the "average consumer" happy.

720p works fine on my xbox360 and looks awesome.

this gen of consoles can only do 720 anyways. anything above that is upscaled.

only resolution that works 1280x720

Back