LG UF7600 UHD Series (43"/49"/55")

jts888

n00b
I just caught the news about LG's new 2015 series releases:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lg-electronics-announces-us-availabilty-of-award-winning-2015-oled-and-led-4k-ultra-hd-tvs-300041822.html

The smaller UHD series seems pretty interesting to me for a possible new monitor, but I haven't been able to find much yet.

Is it safe to assume that it'll have UHD@60+Hz with 4:4:4 chroma?

I'd like a 40"-45" UHD monitor, but the Phillips and Seiki have things that don't appeal to me much, particularly non-square pixels and VA panels. The 43" model would have ~102.5 ppi instead of the ~110 ppi of 40" displays, which I'd probably prefer anyway.

The ~$1400 list price is well within my budget, but I'd pay even more for a monitor using that panel that had DP 1.3, Adaptive-sync, and/or UHD@120 Hz capabilities.

The two LG498500s I picked up both had terrible uniformity, maybe it was the passive 3D but I could see a bunch of vertical band dark spots on a white/light blue screen. Very distracting and made it impossible to use as a text reader. Not sure if Edge Lit LED TVs can really be used as monitors as the backlighting only covers a fraction of what a CCFL backlight does.

why VA panel is a bad thing on the philips 40"?

after reading the tft review, i saw ZERO reason to ever consider going IPS again on a panel that size.

I remember reading back when CES was going on that all 2015 LG's would have 4:4:4. So, time will tell. of course I could have missed a detail or misunderstood something.

I'm like you, I'm going 40" - 47" maybe as much as 49" UHD with 4:4:4 and hopefully curved.

All these kids running around here taking about 4k on 27" and paying $1000 or whatever is making my brain numb.

yeah I just spent 20+ mins watch LG OLED CES videos ... wow

Def ready to drop some cash up to 2K on 43" or 49" Oled and 980 Geforce if I have to.

Incredible picture

Pretty amazing stuff! Not interested in jumping up to a 43+" monitor for my computer, though. I'd be all over something around 32" - 35" with that incredible UHD picture.

I have a 32" 1440p on my desk next to a 42" LG ... They are very close in size, 8" difference or so. I can't do anything smaller than 32" and can barely do 32"

Yeah, after thinking about this and it didn't take long ......

There is absolutely no way in hell I will buy an LED 4k. A lot of people are stuck on that Phillips 40" which is LED for $1000 or so. Makes zero sense to me.

Hoping I can buy a 43" LG UHD Oled in the next handful of days. I'm searching for specs now.

Does anyone have the PDF spec sheet / specs on the UF7600 series?

Some of the higher end sets that are being released only have HDCP 2.2 ....... UF9700 series ... maybe those specs are old and need to be updated.

after reading the tft review, i saw ZERO reason to ever consider going IPS again on a panel that size.

I probably prefer VA for home theater when you can sit far back directly in front in a really dark room, but for workstation use I strongly prefer IPS, glow and all, over the poorer uniformity, smaller viewing angles, and slight color banding/posterization VA panels have.

Tiny things like CRT geometry/flicker/damping wire shadows and LCD motion blur have always annoyed me, and I'm pretty sure the 1.02:1 rectangular pixels on the Phillips would drive me nuts along with the PWM flicker and probably VA tradeoffs.

My 2560x1600 CCFL IPS has been pretty nice except for the heat that it throws off and the 60 Hz limit plus motion blur.
I really want a 40"-45" PWM-free UHD IPS with DP1.3 + Adaptive-sync and true 120 Hz and maybe optional strobing/ULMB, which should in theory be possible this summer but we may never actually see in the market.

There is absolutely no way in hell I will buy an LED 4k. A lot of people are stuck on that Phillips 40" which is LED for $1000 or so. Makes zero sense to me.

Hoping I can buy a 43" LG UHD Oled in the next handful of days. I'm searching for specs now.

LG only announced one UHD OLED, the 65" for $9k. The 1080p OLED they announced was 55" for $3.5k. Still too rich for my blood, plus I won't buy an OLED monitor until they can prove to run multi-thousands of hours without the blue OLEDs dying and the display turning yellowish.

I'm afraid that OLED won't get everything right for another 5 years but that when they do their reputation will be garbage, just like what happened to plasma with burn-in.

Yea the current OLED screens still have massive burn in and reliability problems. Spending any money much less $9K on one doesn't make sense even if that sort of money is chump change to you.

The whole point of OLED was that it was supposed to make large high resolution screens cheap. That it could offer better picture quality too was just a bonus.

I'd be up for the 43" 4k if it were cheaper. I have the 39" seiki and it would be nicer if text were a little bigger without resorting to increasing text size as that messes up certain applications. But $1400 is way too much, my seiki was $350, I can't justify 60hz for $1000+ more, hopefully it will retail for significantly lower.

Yea the current OLED screens still have massive burn in and reliability problems. Spending any money much less $9K on one doesn't make sense even if that sort of money is chump change to you.

The whole point of OLED was that it was supposed to make large high resolution screens cheap. That it could offer better picture quality too was just a bonus.

No they don't. There are people on other forums who've had the 1080p OLED for a little over a year with no noticeable degradation.. Someone on Overclock.net was even using it as a monitor with no ill effects.

If you run in torch mode (max brightness) and leave it on a static screen for hours on end, perhaps you'll have issues... I haven't seen anyone willing to do that, but I can't imagine why you would.

People have gotten temporary IR for leaving OLED on a static screen too long, but this is not burn in, it goes away. Judging by what people put up with in regards to LCD defects, the OLED quirks don't seem that bad to me... other than the price. If $9K was chump change to me I'd definitely be getting the 4K one that's out lol.

Last edited:
So the only model they are selling is 9k? What's odd about that is I have 9k in my disposable income bank account lol .. BUT would never spend it all one item like that.

March, April and May is when a lot of the new sets are coming out for 2015. I've been watching AVS forums like a hawk.

No they don't....Someone on Overclock.net was even using it as a monitor with no ill effects.
Yes they do. A year is nothing. I have a RPTV that uses bulbs that lasts longer than that yet people in general didn't buy them because the bulbs would burn out within 2-3 yr and need replacement.

And the burn in time isn't hours on end of showing the same static image or at peak brightness.

Your anecdotes are no better than mine. I have a AMOLED PMP that got burn in over the period of about a year from showing the same menus over and over again over just a few minutes at a time. Brightness was turned down to extend the battery life too.

When OLED's live up to the old promises of providing large screens for cheap without dimming 30% or more after a couple of years or losing the color blue they'll be worth it. Until then, nope. Especially not for thousands of dollars.

So the only model they are selling is 9k? What's odd about that is I have 9k in my disposable income bank account lol .. BUT would never spend it all one item like that.

Yeah, the 65" 4K model is $9K, but you can find the 55" 1080p model for around $2K now.

The 55" 4K starts at $5K and will be out in a few months, I imagine the price on it will be down to $3500-4000 by year's end.

I probably prefer VA for home theater when you can sit far back directly in front in a really dark room, but for workstation use I strongly prefer IPS, glow and all, over the poorer uniformity, smaller viewing angles, and slight color banding/posterization VA panels have.

That is the reason why i am having the bother of providing you the link of the review of a new kind of VA panel.

VA has really evolved:

-Pixel transition times are much faster now. This 4K panel has faster G2T transition times than an IPS panel, WITHOUT USING OVERDRIVE!!!

-Horizontal gamma shift is almost gone, there is still some vertical gamma shift, but this one is much less relevant. Horizontal viewing angles of a VA panel are now on par with IPS :
viewing_small.jpg

-Calibrated contrast ratio is 400% above a competing IPS:
comparison_1.png

I know VA panels have come a long way, and I did actually read that TFT Central review a while back, but I'm still fairly nervous about the technology.

If anything, IPS panels tend to have fewer nasty corners cut due probably to not being in as quite a cutthroat price segment as VA panels. The Phillips for example has slightly non-square pixels and a low frequency PWM backlight, either of which alone would drive me nuts very quickly.

That's bullshit. I have seen no proof of burn in and few reliability issues and I've read every single OLED owners thread on AVSforum. Image retention is possible but dissipates quickly, that's not the same thing as plasmas had with "burn in".

Where do people get this information?

That's bullshit. I have seen no proof of burn in and few reliability issues and I've read every single OLED owners thread on AVSforum. Image retention is possible but dissipates quickly, that's not the same thing as plasmas had with "burn in".

I use one as a computer monitor & console gaming screen in my office. I have not personally had any issues with mine. Full disclosure though, I do typically treat it with care in a very similar nature that I did with my Kuro plasma.

(Bumping out of interest, since the Samsung JU6x00 thread got pretty active)

Does anybody know how soon the LGs are coming out, and has anyone seen one in a store yet?
Nearest BB told me they should be coming in to them in the next few weeks.

I'd be willing to give up the curves of the Samsung JU6700 48"/40" if the LGs aren't as fussy about UHD@60Hz w/ 4:4:4 chroma and can do 1080p120, which the Samsungs absolutely can't do at all.

There's a 1080p OLED LG panel at my local best buy and it has some of the worst burn-in I've ever seen. It goes way beyond just a little image retention on this particular one. Granted they have it stuck in the same demo loop, but he said they've tried doing fixes to try and burn-in the other pixels some to remove it and they haven't been able to do anything to fix it. I'll try and grab a pic next time I'm at that store.

I did get to see the technology in action at CES this year though and it looked amazing. I'm sure it will be like any other display tech with its benefits but hurdles to overcome to get it "right".

IPS glow on a panel this large may become annoying. Hopefully it's VA.

I saw an OLED TV in TigerDirect for about $2500. TD is in liquidation currently by my house.
The picture and colors were incredible. But it's something I wait until the tech matures.

FWIW, I found the manual online, and there was no support for 120 Hz input at any resolution.
Does anybody know where to find a current list of displays that do 1080p120, including UHD panels?

There's a 1080p OLED LG panel at my local best buy and it has some of the worst burn-in I've ever seen. It goes way beyond just a little image retention on this particular one. Granted they have it stuck in the same demo loop, but he said they've tried doing fixes to try and burn-in the other pixels some to remove it and they haven't been able to do anything to fix it. I'll try and grab a pic next time I'm at that store.

I did get to see the technology in action at CES this year though and it looked amazing. I'm sure it will be like any other display tech with its benefits but hurdles to overcome to get it "right".

BB should ship that unit back to LG. Permanent burn-in should *not* be an issue. There's a lot of preventive measures built into the panel to avoid this, so maybe it's defective. I've actually have had zero cases of IR on mine, though I limit my gaming sessions to around 2-3 hours usually.

Also, I've heard LG has an automatic screen wash algorithm that should get rid of any IR if you accidentally left your screen on a static image overnight. Someone on AVS left his screen on the Google home page overnight which left IR from the logo, but it was gone the next day: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...crap-i-feel-asleep-google-my-screen-burn.html

I just saw the 49" in a BB showroom, and while it looked pretty good, it was fairly hard to tell how it would fare as a monitor.

Has anybody picked one of these up yet and tested for things like PWM and latency?
At this point the Samsungs look pretty good, but the ongoing lack of 4:4:4 game mode, the low-ish frequency PWM, and using VA instead of IPS/PLS are all slightly annoying.

I just saw the 49" in a BB showroom, and while it looked pretty good, it was fairly hard to tell how it would fare as a monitor.

Has anybody picked one of these up yet and tested for things like PWM and latency?
At this point the Samsungs look pretty good, but the ongoing lack of 4:4:4 game mode, the low-ish frequency PWM, and using VA instead of IPS/PLS are all slightly annoying.

If they have them in stock at fry's I might try it out when I return my 48" samsung 7500 (a little too bit for my liking)

Just picked up a 49UF7600 to replace my 20"/30"/20" 4960x1600 PLP setup.
I chose this TV over the Samsungs since the off-angle color consistency was perceptibly better when I was looking at them in-store, though I know some people will value the curved screens/latencies/black levels of the Samsungs.

Initial thoughts:
  • This thing definitely has low-Hz PWM, but the LED levels and the duty cycle of the strobing seem to be independently adjustable, which was my biggest fear.
  • The AG coating is probably considered semi-gloss. It feels much less matte than my HP LP3065.
  • My office is naturally bright enough at day that I can't comment on IPS glow/black levels yet.
  • The display feels comfortable (though quite large) sitting on a 26" high desk surface from about 30" away, and the lack of stand tilt doesn't bother me.

I'm still using a GTX 670 (4:4:4@30Hz or 4:2:0@60Hz) and don't have a way to test absolute latencies, but I'd be happy to answer any subjective experience questions.

Just picked up a 49UF7600 to replace my 20"/30"/20" 4960x1600 PLP setup.
I chose this TV over the Samsungs since the off-angle color consistency was perceptibly better when I was looking at them in-store, though I know some people will value the curved screens/latencies/black levels of the Samsungs.

Initial thoughts:
  • This thing definitely has low-Hz PWM, but the LED levels and the duty cycle of the strobing seem to be independently adjustable, which was my biggest fear.
  • The AG coating is probably considered semi-gloss. It feels much less matte than my HP LP3065.
  • My office is naturally bright enough at day that I can't comment on IPS glow/black levels yet.
  • The display feels comfortable (though quite large) sitting on a 26" high desk surface from about 30" away, and the lack of stand tilt doesn't bother me.

I'm still using a GTX 670 (4:4:4@30Hz or 4:2:0@60Hz) and don't have a way to test absolute latencies, but I'd be happy to answer any subjective experience questions.

Did you play some game on it, do you feel like there is much lag?

Excellent price, but if isn't working the chroma 4:4:4 / 60Hz @4K .....

Back