LGA1156 / DMI / QPI / the future

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
First lets look at the sockets intel has for nehalem's generation?
LGA1156 = 16 PCI-E, DMI, 2xDDR3
LGA1366 = 2xQPI, 3xDDR3
LGA1567 = 4QPI, 4xDDR3 (FB DIMMS)

And the chipset setups
X58 (via QPI) = Northbridge = Bridge from QPI --> PCI-E / DMI
ICH10 (via DMI) = Southbridge = extra PCI-E, SATA, USB, etc.

Now, how much do we know about sockets post lynnfield/clarkdale's generation?

The primary reason that LGA1156 exists is to bridge the gap between the current ICH10 southbridge (via DMI, aka a couple PCI-E lanes) and the onboard northbridge connections of lynnfield/havendale.

Are we expecting the 32nm shrink to convert the southbridge link to a QPI connection, or stick with DMI? It seems to me that if ICH11 had a QPI link as its connection (low latency and plenty of bandwidth) instead of DMI, the 32nm shrink derivs (codenames unknown) would suffice with 2 QPI links, PCI-E, and ram.

Bloomfield's successor could then do the same, bringing all the intel platforms to only 2 sockets (<=2 socket and >4 socket, aka 3 QPI links and 5 QPI links).

If the socket had space for 32 PCI-E, 5 QPI, and 4xDDR3, intel would need only 1 desktop socket. (Admittedly, thats a TON of pins)

Thoughts on this?

Which generation is this for?
the 4 or more socket server market
1-2 gets LGA1366, the 4+ gets 2 extra QPI links, extra memory channel, and FB-DIMM conversion for the mem controller. Supposedly.

Not really sure, but I am curious to know how much slower the LGA 1156 platform with dual channel/DMI than the current x58/QPI/triple channel setup. The x58 boards out right now seem a bit overboard for what I need and overpriced.

X58/lga1366 is the Enthusiast Platform

P55/P65/lga1156 Will be mainstream with reduced overclockability (don't quite understand why)
now heres the deal:
RUMOR has it, that the mainstream components will not overclock as well. (1156 +500mhz, 1366 +1ghz)
That's all i've heard :p

Just read that Anandtech article. I can't believe it will be 7+ months between the X58 and P55 launches. I really hope someone makes a cheaper X58 board with like only two PCIe X16 slots and 1 ethernet port or something. I have no doubt it would sell.

I wonder if Westmere will run on 1366. If I'm getting an i7 now I want to know if I'll at least be able to upgrade next year.

Westmere is a die-shrunk version of Bloomfiled, so I don't see why not.

C2D FSB - 533 MT/s a 1600 MT/s
Ci7 QuickPath Interconnect -4.8 GT/s a 6.4 GT/s

only P55 and P57 both will be with DMI or QPI?

i belive P55 is DMI
P57 is QPI

Back