Lian Li V1000 Watercooling question..

oneil

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for comments/suggestions on my following idea(s):

Within the next month or two, I'll be building a completely new system from my current [sigged] box. I'm having trouble finding a case I really like that will accomodate my 240mm rad inside the case but I think the V1000 is finally one to consider.

1022.jpg

Based on the above image, I would remove the hard drive enclosures and place both rad fans on the bottom of the case blowing out. The rad would be sitting on top with cool air rushing through and out. The air intake for the rad would come from the front 120mm case fan blowing in, and the remaining holes in the bottom of the case. Now I see a problem with this setup being that there are two 120mm exhaust fans and only one 120mm intake fan: negative pressure. Granted the holes on the bottom of the case to allow extra air to come in, but it would mostly be recycled radiator air.

The reason I want the rad blowing out is because it [, in it's current setup,] has created a dust sandwich with the fans, that impededs air flow. With the front case fan serving as intake with a dust filter, it would take care of this problem.

Finally, I'll need to place the HDDs elsewhere - which is where a 3-in-1drive enclosure comes into play. I've seen people recommend them but havent actually looked into them yet. It would take up the bottom three 5" bays and host another 120mm fan blowing over my three hard drives and into the case. This leaves me with two more bays where I'll leave one empty, and the other will hold my DVD-ROM/R/RW/CD-ROM/R/RW combo...

So I ask you, will my rad setup work or should I have the rad fans pull air into the case, and can someone recommend me a good hdd holder enclusure thingy?

It's a nice quiet case.

Also, you can fit a triple radiator up top, provided you don't mind losing 1 PCI slot and 1 5.25" bay.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're asking though... Maybe a MS paint mockup? From what I assume, you're mounting a 240mm radiator in the VERY bottom of the case (the perforated part, which you'll have to cut away) and it'll be blowing air out the bottom of the case?

It's a nice quiet case.

Also, you can fit a triple radiator up top, provided you don't mind losing 1 PCI slot and 1 5.25" bay.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're asking though... Maybe a MS paint mockup? From what I assume, you're mounting a 240mm radiator in the VERY bottom of the case (the perforated part, which you'll have to cut away) and it'll be blowing air out the bottom of the case?

I dont want to mod the case if I dont have to, but essentially: yes. I was curious to know if the holes in the case are big enough to allow proper airflow. In regards to fitting the rad up top, I'd need to do some cutting which I dont feel doing (I usually get pissed off and end up doing a piss-poor job :()

mockupkm7.png

Color significance:
  • Red: Radiator
  • Teal: 120mm fan blowing downwards
  • Green: 120mm fan blowing into the case
  • Purple block: Pump, behind rad
  • Orange/brown: PSU
  • Yellow: Hard drive enclosure

thats a tight fit i think loose the fan and i think youl be able to fit the 2 120 mm rad

thats a tight fit i think loose the fan and i think youl be able to fit the 2 120 mm rad

I guess the fan can go, save me some noise - have the rad fans intake from the bottom of the case instead of exhaust.

Yes, that front fan is A) not required... B) might disrupt airflow more than it helps.

Do you already have the case? I DON'T think the pump will fit where you've added it...

I'd do the cuts up top if you lived near Toronto Canada :p

Yes, that front fan is A) not required... B) might disrupt airflow more than it helps.

Do you already have the case? I DON'T think the pump will fit where you've added it...

I'd do the cuts up top if you lived near Toronto Canada :p

I dont have the case yet. The if you look at pics of the underside of the case, there are two rows of three sets of holes. I dont see why the pump wouldnt fit on the side

I'm actually going to guelph for two weeks starting sunday, I'm in Ottawa :)
If you wanna buy the case and do the work on it, I'll meet you after the long weekend and buy it off you :p

edit; now that i look at it, those holes on the bottom dont even look like 120mms:
schembx1.jpg

Here's a pic of a spare rad i've got lying around, on the Top of my V1000... There's about 1.5" on the other side of it, and no, you cannot mount it any closer to the right side (there's a reinforcing bar in the way that the side door clips into.

IMGP1144.jpg

ok so the pump side by side the rad is out of the question, will the rad still fit in the bottom compartment overtop the case holes?

Like I said I dont have the tools/skill to mod the case for that. Still waiting for an answer from Arcy about that ;) ;)

Hahaha... The rad can be mounted on the bottom, but you do need increased ventilation. You'll starve the rad of air without widening those holes.

As for the top, I'm actually in so much debt right now that I can't even afford to purchase the case :p. I had to buy all my summer semester books, which practically maxed out my Visa... :eek: Either way, a radgril is a must.

Otherwise, I'd be happy to do it :p

Hahaha... The rad can be mounted on the bottom, but you do need increased ventilation. You'll starve the rad of air without widening those holes.

As for the top, I'm actually in so much debt right now that I can't even afford to purchase the case :p. I had to buy all my summer semester books, which practically maxed out my Visa... :eek: Either way, a radgril is a must.

Otherwise, I'd be happy to do it :p

I'd buy the case and ship it, but that shipping is gonna be costly :( :p

Just a quick FYI - i currently use a black v1000 for my watercooling setup... i have TWO loops in it and have fit it with very little effort

I will be building a new setup very soon and plan to sell this case... you could probably save yourself some work and cost in tools if you were interested.

I'll try and snap you some pics in the next few days.

Back