Linksys Router & Smoothwall

Keith130

Limp Gawd
Since Im getting DSL soon I have decided that Im going to put in a smoothwall firewall. I plan on using my Linksys BEFW11S4 Router as the router for the network, so could I set up smoothwall to simply forward ports into a DMZ, firewall the connection and then allow to linksys to route the connection? To connect to the smoothwall boxen from the router would I run a cable from the WAN port on the router to the box and set it to have a static IP?

EDIT: With the use of a smoothwall boxen will I have to continually make use of the windows patches?

Keith130 said:
Since Im getting DSL soon I have decided that Im going to put in a smoothwall firewall. I plan on using my Linksys BEFW11S4 Router as the router for the network, so could I set up smoothwall to simply forward ports into a DMZ, firewall the connection and then allow to linksys to route the connection? To connect to the smoothwall boxen from the router would I run a cable from the WAN port on the router to the box and set it to have a static IP?

EDIT: With the use of a smoothwall boxen will I have to continually make use of the windows patches?

So you want this?

Internet--------Smoothwall box--------Linksys Router-------pcs on network

Yeh that was my idea, with a DMZ coming off the smoothwall, and the smoothwall doing no routing.

Keith130 said:
Yeh that was my idea, with a DMZ coming off the smoothwall, and the smoothwall doing no routing.

It's possible I'm misunderstanding something but here goes anyway.

What exactly will the smoothwall box be doing if it's not routing and everything coming at it you direct to a DMZ? DMZ normally meaning unfiltered and unrestricted.

don't mean to hijack this but is this possible?

Internet ----------- cable modem----------------Smoothwall------------LinksysWRT54G--------Linksys24port switch-----PC's

I dont want smoothwal to route anthing. I like the fact that my linksys router has port fowarding built into the firmware. I just want smoothwall to filter all packets in and out. Does that make sense?

smoothwall has port forwarding. Just use the linksys as a switch and disable the dhcp server on it. Smoothwall will distribute the ips and handle all your port fwding.

binary digit said:
smoothwall has port forwarding. Just use the linksys as a switch and disable the dhcp server on it. Smoothwall will distribute the ips and handle all your port fwding.

Disco! But realize this will use smoothwall for routing. Even though you said you didn't want this, this is what makes the most sense.

well its pretty pointless to use the linksys as a router. Just have everything centralized on one box. make your life easy.

So I might as well leave the smoothewall box to do everthing and set up my windows boxen to use the smoothwall's LAN NIC for the gateway? Plus I was only going to forward ports for HTTP, FTP and any others needed for a streaming audio server into the DMZ. I cant remember if I asked this already but would it be OK to backchannel from the streaming audio server into my fileserver/mythTV backend box ?

binary digit said:
well its pretty pointless to use the linksys as a router. Just have everything centralized on one box. make your life easy.

please explain?

I use Linksys WRT54G because it has built-in dynamic dns. I have one dynamic IP and it allows me to set up an account with this company called www.dyndns.org. If you create an account and put the acct user name and password in your router, it will always point your account name like carlwill.dyndns.org to my dynamic ip - no matter how many times it changes.

Why would my linksys no longer be my router to simplify things? :confused:

smoothwall also supports dyndns :D Basically smoothwall has everything the linksys router has. Just disable all of its routing features and just use it as a switch. The smoothwall will have everything you need. Plus on the community forums you can find some cool mods. Like traffic shapping, connection viewing, bandwidth monitoring.

Back