linksys wrt54gs too easy?

I just set this thing up and all I had to do was hit next a few times. I almost feel left out because I didn't really do or see anything. It says it has WPA2 on the front of the box, but under network settings it says WPA algorithms N/A. I tried hitting the "easy setup" button, but it just sits there and strobes. Is this thing really secure on it's own, or do I have to do something? Where are my options!?!? :p

you will need to set up the wireless security (WEP) and i would advise mac encryption. if you want to hook it up flash the firmware with DD-WRT. (and yes to all the others i am on a DD-WRT kick today)

I'm not sure i want to do the DD-WRT thing. I made a passphrase which gave me a key, and I put that key into the WPA2 key section. The only problem being that now I can't connect to the router using my laptop at all. When I choose the network it says it's trying to connect, but then it tells me windows is unable to connect. How do I get the key onto the laptop so that it will connect?

When I have to manually enter the WEP key it works, but it seems windows doesn't know how to interpret the WPA2 key.

Ok, I downloaded that, but it turned out my wirless card didn't support WPA. I got the latest driver for it and now when I connect it gets to "Acquiring network address" and sits there forever. :(

Ok, I downloaded that, but it turned out my wirless card didn't support WPA. I got the latest driver for it and now when I connect it gets to "Acquiring network address" and sits there forever. :(

Is this after you switched to WEP?

Are you still unable to connect?

If so, temporarily disable the MAC filtering and see if anything changes.

Is this after you switched to WEP?

Are you still unable to connect?

If so, temporarily disable the MAC filtering and see if anything changes.
It defaulted to WEP security. WEP worked fine. I wanted to change to WPA. After DLing the hotfix for XP and the latest network card drivers it appeared that it was going to work. When it would get to acquiring network address it would freeze and seem to do that forever without ever getting me an ip or something. So, because it wasn't working I went back to WEP, but because WEP is somewhat insecure I added mac filtering. It all works, but I'm stuck with WEP instead of WPA due to the never ending acquiring network address problem.

Now it all makes sense. From reading above, I thought you were still having issues after you switched to WEP w/ MAC filtering.

Sorry.

I tried changing the authentication type under advanced wireless settings to shared key since that is what it seemed i was using with WEP. When i changed to shared key I could no longer connect. If someone could explain maybe a reason for this, and if this setting might have any effect on getting WPA to work. Say, if I turn it on and try WPA with shared key being forced.

Back