Linux guru's help w/ Intel 4965 AGN WiFi -- very odd problem across several distros

si0dine

Limp Gawd
PCLinuxOS
Ubuntu 7.04
Ubuntu 7.10 RC/Final
Kubuntu 7.10 RC/Final
Arch Linux (Don't Panic)
Fedora 8

In every distro I've tried to connect to my wireless network via the gui and console. I've tried changing the router's wireless channel. I've tried turning off WEP encryption. I've tried ndiswrapper and madwifi. I've tried using the latest intel drivers. I've tried asking all the distros forums for help and I haven't gotten anywhere.

The problem is that whenever I try to connect to my router wirelessly all the other computers connected to it are instantly disconnected and the router stops broadcasting its ESSID. Just using iwlist scan will cause the same thing as well, but it also appears to affect all the hotspots in my neighborhood in the same way.

I have none of these problems in Windows XP or Vista.

Output from attempted console connection:
wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:a7:f1:2b
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:a7:f1:2b
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

The computer is a HP dv2500t laptop with bluetooth.

Wmaster0 would lead me to believe you have your wifi card into a master mode, check to make sure that it is running in a managed mode. My 3945 would sometimes try to run in Master until i changed it.

Yeah I've tried putting it in Managed and Ad-hoc before but I get nearly the same results. Today I finally got it working though by using arch linux. I had to disable all the intel wifi drivers in the setup and then I setup ndiswrapper with some old XP 4965 AGN drivers I found (new ones didn't work). Now, does anyone know how to disable the intel wifi drivers in Fedora 8 lol?

Now, does anyone know how to disable the intel wifi drivers in Fedora 8 lol?

That's quite easily done:
lsmod (figure out which one if for your card)
locate <drivername>.ko
rm /path/to/ko/<drivername>.ko

should look something like this:
rm /lib/modules/<kernel_name>/kernel/drivers/net/<drivername>.ko

Deleting the module, as Dew described, will work. However, the problem will reappear after a kernel update. There should be a module blacklist file somewhere in /etc, usually in /etc/modprobe.d. Put the module name in that file to prevent udev from autoloading it.

EDIT: Found a link that seems to indicate that Fedora's blacklist is located at /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. LINK

Back