Linux vs Microsoft for hosting? First time building and hosting a web page

poopy

Limp Gawd
I've been tasked with building and hosting a very basic website for a relative of mine. Just html and maybe an ftp site. I don't know what program I'm going to use to build it, probably some free WYSIWYG html editor. Are there any catches with using Linux or Microsoft for hosting? Which one do you think I should use?

from a web site designer's perspective, there is no difference.

the only difference is that with linux, you might get shell access

I believe this has been covered here before, but I'm too lazy to search for you. ;)

If all you want is a basic HTML site, then there's no real difference.

If you want to use ASP or such, I believe that only works on a Windows server.

Some of the lower end hosting sites offer sitebuilding programs within your browser and limit what you can do in order to "idiot proof" things. For example, some don't allow you to even install scripts. It all depends on your needs and what you're willing to pay.

If you're only hosting static pages, then the only real difference I can think of is that files on the Linux server are case-sensitive, so Index.htm is different from index.htm. This is not an issue with Windows.

Well it comes down to IIS or Apache. IIS is installed on a windows box, and Apache on a Linux box. That's how "most" people and hosting providers set things up. You can setup Apache on a windows box, and it works great. I had an apache server up for years on a win2k box..

Advantages? Linux or Windows.... Do I need to get into this?

You said you're just going basic html pages, and a FTP account. If you're going to be the one doing all the configuring, and setting everything else up what do you feel comfortable with?

Take a look at this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Hopefully it answers some questions. If not, reply and we will help ya out!

It also depends on how much free/open source software you will be using. Many of the smaller developers base everything on Linux vs Windows, so you might have to tweak settings here and there to get them to work. Also OSCommerce seems to hate windows + newest php & mysql unless you tweak quite a few things :p

..and if you purchase space from a reputable host as opposed to doing it on your own, they will provide you with tons of tools to get you up and running fairly quickly. You'll get access to control panels that do all the arcane server configuration for you at the click of a button, an FTP site already setup for you, statistical and analysis tools, free software for developing your website, etc...

Back