Lithium-Ion Batteries Threat To Airline Safety?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everyone panic, lithium-ion batteries will blow up on airplanes!!!

Worried about a possible terrorist strike, American Airlines flight attendants confiscated 58 cell phones, lithium-ion batteries and charging devices from a passenger on a June 23 New York flight to Buenos Aires.

I really hope they don't ban cell phones and/or computer equipment now... it would make for a dull plane ride.

Selling them back home.

Which is why it would've made more sense to take 58 knockoff cell phones from South America and bring them to the US to sell for profit. Buying expensive cellphones in NY to sell in BA doesn't sound like he would make much profit.

Works fine for me...

but yeah, how the HELL did they let him on the plane in the first place? Jeez. :eek:

You ninja fixed it! It wasn't working the moment it was posted, it also looped me back. Working now though.

I really hope they don't ban cell phones and/or computer equipment now... it would make for a dull plane ride.

Forget about the dullness of it...would you check anything electronic? I would be amazed if a checked laptop would function after being thrown around by the baggage "handlers."

Works now.

Selling them back home...since when is stuff cheaper in the states....

Since I lived in mainland China and realized how piss expensive iPhones and Sony Laptops were, compared to USA NewEgg prices. But that's all I cared for, then.

Wait a minute here....what the hell is "a passenger' (meaning 1 person) doing with 58 cell phones Li Batteries and charging adaptors? WTF does he/she need all those freaking phones and batteries for? :confused:

Do lithium ion batteries burn at a hot enough temperature to compromise the structure of an airplane?

Wait a minute here....what the hell is "a passenger' (meaning 1 person) doing with 58 cell phones Li Batteries and charging adaptors? WTF does he/she need all those freaking phones and batteries for? :confused:

to sell in the destination country. I have a guy here that I work with who does similar things. gets random used electronics here (laptops and cell phones) to sell for a profit in mexico.

Do lithium ion batteries burn at a hot enough temperature to compromise the structure of an airplane?

I would imagine that the toxic fumes would be more of a danger than the heat. It would only take one bad battery to set the rest of them off.

Which is why it would've made more sense to take 58 knockoff cell phones from South America and bring them to the US to sell for profit. Buying expensive cellphones in NY to sell in BA doesn't sound like he would make much profit.
As far as I know, Brazil has stupidly high tariffs on electronics, so taking legitimate phones back to Brazil would make sense.

BRB....Rigging up a giant voltage regulated NiMH battery pack. This just in. You can light farts with a lighter. Better check people for excessive gas before they board. Better yer, who even needs a lighter. You can just pump nicotine into the smoke rooms.

Can you imagine a terrorist jumping up with a balloon full of fart and a lighter?

to sell in the destination country. I have a guy here that I work with who does similar things. gets random used electronics here (laptops and cell phones) to sell for a profit in mexico.

Isn't that illegal? Moving large quantities of anything and selling them for profit w/o paying duties?

How about "Cellphone vendor taking samples to Expo"? Or "Cellphone ODM rep taking samples of models to OEM for demonstration purposes". There are legitimate reasons, after all.

It would if here were staying down there with them. The currency rate right now is something like 3 peso for ever dollar

Holy shit what a non-story. The guy is obviously selling them. It may h
Code:
ave been smarter to check in or ship separate but I'd be wary of airport workers thieving them so I really can't blame him.

I guess I can't travel with the two 5000mah LiPo batteries I just bought for my rock crawler...

Most likely to sell them.

I know that in Venezuela and Colombia, for example, a BlackBerry is worth and sold for 3-4 times its US price.

OH YEA if it burned long enough it would burn a hole in it
wouldnt do much more really plane would be fine just have a hole in the floor

OH YEA if it burned long enough it would burn a hole in it
wouldnt do much more really plane would be fine just have a hole in the floor

I'd be a lot more worried about the toxic fumes produced by burning lithium, as well as the fire in the cabin. And if someone were dumb enough to throw water on it, the exploding lithium shrapnel.

Back