Logic check. What does this sound like to you?

Scythe

Gawd
Problem: computer freezing up on POST at the memory check. (Nutshell: Could get as far as "memor" typing across the screen, and then it locked up.) Either that, or mem clock was reporting: 1

Tested memory: checks good (memtest86)
Tested CPU: checks good (CPU HOT Test 4)
Tested HDD: checks good (Spinrite 6)

If both those test are reliable, then each component should be "good", correct?

On the thought that perhaps the mainboard was bad, I bought an MSI K7N2 Delta2 board, but that board was evidently defective. (no video, no lan, no keyboard, etc.) DFB (dead from the box).

I replaced the powersupply (antec 400w) with a cheap CWT 300w PSU that I had on hand, and booted the computer. I had the same problem, but I was finally able to boot the computer (I pulled one of the memory sticks out earlier, and have not put it back in.)

Once booted, I ran a virus scan and came up with a trojan. Virus scanner removed it, no problem, and I deleted the file that was infected just to be sure. File had been on the computer for a few months, but previous scans did not detect it. (perhaps the latest update had a sig for it?)

Current configuration (with the 300w PSU) has been restarting with no problem. I've had it running (powered up) since I got it to boot. Kinda afraid to shut the computer off until I ran various test.

Anyway, I believe the memory, CPU, mobo and HDD are not faulty. Could a faulty PSU trigger these kind of problems? Should I shut it down and put the original PSU back in and see what happens, or just replace it?

Where would you go from here?

Thanks for reading all that, and thanks for any advice you may have. I have no problem replacing the PSU if that's the general consensus. Don't know what else to try.

Thanks again.

At a loss on what to try next.

It's extremely unlikely that the trojan caused the boot error. It's possible that your old PSU is dying, so test it out, it won't do any harm. If it boots with the old PSU, check the voltages across the board to see if it's okay.

Scythe said:
Could a faulty PSU trigger these kind of problems? Should I shut it down and put the original PSU back in and see what happens, or just replace it?

Yes a faulty/underpowered/unreliable PSU can and will cause those problems.

What Antec was it? Smartpower line or Truepower line? The smartpowers are kinda rinky-dink, but if its the truepower, you should be alright.

What about unplugging every component except for 1 hdd, 1 cd and the mobo?

I have a bad floppy that when it gets plugged up, the machine refuses to start. I unplug that device and all is smooth.

Back