LOL @ non-gamers trying to buy video games

tzhu07

Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ugh 1 starring a product and complaining about the service. assholes.

everyone should be aware of steam, at this point. And if not, they should not have a hard time figuring it out.

Doesn't amazon simply give you the serial key in a mail, though? If so, they should just not give you any downloads themselves when you buy something for steam in the shop

also, the good ol "find your favorite game on Amazon, find 1-star reviews, post em" is good fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Gam...?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Last edited:
Thief: The Dark Project
I'm Blind, I'm Blind!! No, wait, its just the game...., January 3, 2001 This review is from: Thief: The Dark Project (CD-ROM)

This game is more fun than having a bag of hammers dropped on your head, but not by much. A game where you rely on stealth and not your trigger finger is a good idea but I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. I knew that I was in trouble on the very first mission. It went like this: Me: "Where am I? Is this a wall or a door? I'll just open it-" Guard: "Hey!" Me: "Oops!" Guard kills me. The End.Wow. That was fun. Hoo-boy!

This is both hilarity but also at the same time raises a good question:
Are the barriers to obtaining and running the game getting in the way, and should we lower these barriers?

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-40836Gen...?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Almost all the 1-star reviews of Sonic Generations for the PC involves people not knowing how the process works. :p

It shows that there is a larger issue with PC Gaming. In that it's not ready for the mainstream. I wouldn't make fun of them though, well unless you want to be ridiculed at for not knowing how to sew or something.

It shows that there is a larger issue with PC Gaming. In that it's not ready for the mainstream. I wouldn't make fun of them though, well unless you want to be ridiculed at for not knowing how to sew or something.

Clicking a mouse through a wizard that says "CLICK NEXT TO INSTALL" is not very tough. Your comparison is a red herring, so I won't respond to it. However, adults should be capable of reading and understanding basic mechanical instructions, especially ones so simple as installing a Steam or other digital download service game. It's really no more complex than updating a console game with a required patch to play online, if that's what you were trying to claim.

I agree with you that pc gaming has some major issues.

With console games if you own a ps3 you just have to look for a game that says ps3 on the box and you know it will work. With PC's you find a game that says PC and you have to check your PC meets the minimum requirements, you may have to update your graphic card drivers, install a direct x update and be limited in the amount of times you can install the game. PC gaming has also become even more of a mess than it used to be as to be able to play any game on PC you now need steam, games for windows live, origin and loads of other clients (to only have 1 of those clients would limit the amount of games you would be able to play).

Most PC's users don't want the extra hassles that PC gaming brings and so play on consoles.

another reason why most PC games require an internet connection these days so that future patches can be auto-installed versus making the user search for the right patch...too many variables with PC's while consoles are 'set it and forget it'

I agree with you that pc gaming has some major issues.

With console games if you own a ps3 you just have to look for a game that says ps3 on the box and you know it will work. With PC's you find a game that says PC and you have to check your PC meets the minimum requirements, you may have to update your graphic card drivers, install a direct x update and be limited in the amount of times you can install the game. PC gaming has also become even more of a mess than it used to be as to be able to play any game on PC you now need steam, games for windows live, origin and loads of other clients (to only have 1 of those clients would limit the amount of games you would be able to play).

Most PC's users don't want the extra hassles that PC gaming brings and so play on consoles.

Thats why games should use the WEI rating or something. If the game was listed as a "WEI 4.5" people could simply match those numbers against their computers rating. If they had 4.5+ theyd know it would work. It's already in place in every modern windows OS. Of course it wouldn't be perfect, and WEI is buggy lots of the time, but it would give a general idea and be much easier to understand for consumers.

Clicking a mouse through a wizard that says "CLICK NEXT TO INSTALL" is not very tough. Your comparison is a red herring, so I won't respond to it. However, adults should be capable of reading and understanding basic mechanical instructions, especially ones so simple as installing a Steam or other digital download service game. It's really no more complex than updating a console game with a required patch to play online, if that's what you were trying to claim.

Yup. Instead of further breeding incompetence with trying to idiot-proof things, when humanity keeps making better and better idiots, how about we worry about having more tech savvy users.

Problem being, most people don't want to learn more or understand more about their gear. They want an appliance.

Problem being, most people don't want to learn more or understand more about their gear. They want an appliance.

Can you blame them though? The attitude "it should just work" isn't unreasonable. Not everyone has the interest or the time to figure out how to make things work. I realize I'm talking to the wrong crowd here, since the [H] is full of enthusiasts and wizards, but we are not the majority. Just because we know how to solve any technical problem that may arise on seemingly simple applications doesn't mean everyone else should.

Can you blame them though? The attitude "it should just work" isn't unreasonable. Not everyone has the interest or the time to figure out how to make things work. I realize I'm talking to the wrong crowd here, since the [H] is full of enthusiasts and wizards, but we are not the majority. Just because we know how to solve any technical problem that may arise on seemingly simple applications doesn't mean everyone else should.

Problem being, there's only such an extent to which you can dumb things down. Like the person who was pissed their game wouldn't run...because they didn't check system requirements, they didn't even know such things existed. There's not much the computing industry as a whole in the face of such stupidity.

If people choose not to read, think, and put in at least a Google search to make things work...they deserve to sound like moreons, griping about wasting their money

if they want to be part of the community, they need to know how it works. its no different then joining any other group or "circle" you're expected to know how things work. if the info is in front of you, why not use it? the whole excuse of "i dont know how" or " i dont want to deal with it' is stupid if your trying to play the games for that platform. these reviews make the game look bad overall, when its not.
amazon should be deleting those worthless piles, as they dont reflect the game at all

if they want to be part of the community, they need to know how it works. its no different then joining any other group or "circle" you're expected to know how things work. if the info is in front of you, why not use it? the whole excuse of "i dont know how" or " i dont want to deal with it' is stupid if your trying to play the games for that platform. these reviews make the game look bad overall, when its not.
amazon should be deleting those worthless piles, as they dont reflect the game at all

Well said.

They really need active comment mods. Pulling reliable people from each product category's community would help that, too.

"it took hours for this to download and it didn't even download the game, i found out that it only downloads something called "steam" and you download the game for an additional $29.99
This is a total rip off and a waste of time and money!!!"

Gaming used to be as easy as popping in the disc, pressing 'next/Intall' then pressing 'play'. Now you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get games working with all the DRM.

I was about to say the same thing..

PC gaming has a long way to go yet to become as mainstream as consoles.

in essense the step that needs to be streamlined, if i take Amazon as an example.

#1 Buy Game
#2 Push Play Game

instead of Amazon having a Click to Buy and Download it almost needs to evolve to the point where you click Buy and Play..

and the service needs to be smart enough to know if the game will even run from where you are at.

its not a big deal and seems like child's play from everyone here but if mainstream is the goal then we have a ways to go still.

also a lot of the head aches you see as far as the game not running can 100% be attributed to Intel's graphics... its unfortunate for the PC gaming progression to mainstream that intel has so much market share.

I always try to give those not-in-the-know the benefit of the doubt, but it really does sound like there is a whole lot of stupid at play here reading those 1 star reviews. Oh well, you can't fix stupid.

I always try to give those not-in-the-know the benefit of the doubt, but it really does sound like there is a whole lot of stupid at play here reading those 1 star reviews. Oh well, you can't fix stupid.

If you interacted with people in a retail environment it is even worse, much worse.

Me too... but this is just plain stupid.

in essense the step that needs to be streamlined, if i take Amazon as an example.
#1 Buy Game
#2 Push Play Game

instead of Amazon having a Click to Buy and Download it almost needs to evolve to the point where you click Buy and Play..

and the service needs to be smart enough to know if the game will even run from where you are at.

its not a big deal and seems like child's play from everyone here but if mainstream is the goal then we have a ways to go still.
also a lot of the head aches you see as far as the game not running can 100% be attributed to Intel's graphics... its unfortunate for the PC gaming progression to mainstream that intel has so much market share.

H-street, it basically IS that simple currently. Buy game, click download/install, click play. Assuming, of course, you bothered to make sure you had the right system... this is like people buying an Xbox 360 game and complaining it won't run on their Xbox 1, it's just plain stupid, no fault of PC gaming at all.

#1 Buy Game
#2 Push Play Game

This is a false assumption

#1 learn how to use a car
#2 learn how to use your city
#3 locate a store
#4 drive to the store
#5 do you have money? credit card? do you know how to use it?
#6 buy a game
#7 drive it home
#8 know to take the packaging off
# 9 turn on the xbox
#10 know that the optical disc needs to go in the XBOX
#11 now you are actually to the same point that a computer is at.

You think that is stupid dont you? Well believe it or not, all those things are not obvious, they are things you learned in your life. Now move a person onto a computer, they must relearn all those steps. Computers are no more complicated than consoles in many cases, it is just the process is different. In another 10 years alot of people might start to have problems doing it the retail way and they only thing they will know is the computer way. You think that is crazy? I spend so much of my money online I now have trouble finding things in stores, I do not even know what are good stores to goto for many things in my home town.

Your assumption is that a person already has a console, it is completely up todate and they have the right console.

Steam pretty much just click installs, buying through amazon does convolute the process, but so does buying an android app, or anything else. The fact is people cheaped out for the best price when they went through amazon. If they had simply purchased the game through steam it would have been pretty much download, click play and be guided through all.

Back