Long delay before POST

ARgnasher

n00b
Hello, I'm currently having a problem with my computer.

Dell Inspiron 531s
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-Bit
Sempron 3600+
2 GB A-DATA 6400 ram
Radeon HD 5570 Low-profile

The problems started when I installed the 5570 GPU and switched out the old 2x512mb ram sticks that came with the dell and replaced with the 2gb a-data. After installing the card/ram, on first initial boot-up I noticed an unusually long delay before the POST even showed up; at about 30-40 seconds long. I ignored it at first and went on to install the latest ATI drivers and rebooted with the same thing. I kept ignoring it as my application/gaming performance were noticeably a lot better, so I thought it was nothing major. Then the next day I got a BSOD when trying to awake my pc from sleep. It was then that I went seeking for help from dell's forums, only to get pretty much nothing.

I tried using the old 1 gb of ram to see if it was a RAM issue, but it gave me the same results so I didn't think it could be the RAM, unless I damaged them when I removed them. My dell bios was up to date, and I updated to vista service pack 2; still same results. I then did a format (for dell I can't do a real format, only a 'factory image' which does essentially the same thing) and 7-8 hours later after removing dell's bloatware and updating windows I still had the same problem.

I then ran the error checker on windows, and it came up clean with no errors on the hard drive. BIOS is set on hard disk first for boot options, and there isn't anything else I can think of to try.

Now, the computer itself appears to be fine. As I mentioned, gaming performance is noticeably better than before, and programs are running better as well from the increase in RAM. Windows itself even loads up a lot faster. The only problem is the BSODs if I put my computer in sleep mode, and the 30-40 second delay before POST/Windows can even show up and boot when I turn on the PC or attempt to reboot my computer. What literally happens when I completely power it down and turn it on is the lights turn on, I hear the fans at full speed, and it stays that way for 30-40 seconds before the fans return to normal, the POST screen appears, and windows boots normally.

Sorry if I made a wall of text, but I'm trying to be as detailed as I can as the last few days have been a headache trying to figure out a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Remove the GPU and see if issue persists

Also, you did set the dedicated video card as the default video boot choice right?

Also, remove the card just to make it's not the cause.

Well, thanks a lot for that advice. I was going to RMA my RAM because I thought it was that. When I took the 5570 out, and attempted to turn it on it booted up instantly, no problems. I put it back in, and there was the 40 second before POST again. So, it has to be the card.

My BIOS is really limited as it's a Dell. I was on the factory 1.0.3 version, and updated to the latest which was 1.0.13 and still had the same results. I then downgraded in hopes of a different result to 1.0.11 with still no change.

Here are really the only BIOS settings that looked useful:

ADVANCED
-PnP/PCI Configurations
Init Display First (2 options here, PCI/PCI-E; It was on PCI and I changed it to PCI-E, same results)
-Integrated Peripherals
HD Audio = Enable
Onboard Nvidia LAN = Enable
Onboard LAN Boot Rom = Disabled
-Advaned chipset features
Video Memory size = 64m

When I initially got the card, I rebooted my computer and ran in safe mode. From there I used the device manager to disable the onboard nvidia geforce 6150se graphics, and then installed the card. The radeon 5500 series is the only thing listed under Display on the device manager, and when I right-click properties it says 'this device is working properly'.

Any ideas?

I have, it was a radeon 4350. The fan started to burn out on me so I bought the 5570 because it was a decent upgrade as well. The 4350 didn't have the boot up problems.

Would removing the battery on the motherboard to reset the bios have an effect?

I have, it was a radeon 4350. The fan started to burn out on me so I bought the 5570 because it was a decent upgrade as well. The 4350 didn't have the boot up problems.
If the 4530 didn't have the boot up issue but the 5570 does, it could mean that either A) The HD 5xxx series have some sort of weird compatibility issue with Dell motherboards, B) your HD 5570 card is actually defective, or C) some unknown explanation.
Would removing the battery on the motherboard to reset the bios have an effect?

Probably not but worth a try anyway.

I guess it may be defective.

My friend ordered the exact card from the same retailer, and his is working fine. We both have Dell computers, his is a model dimension c521 and mine a inspiron 531s. He isn't getting the abnormally long delays before POST.

My only question is would this card that outside of that boot process seems fine in games really be defective? I've read people with the radeon 4650 use the 250w stock dell psu with no problems, and the 5570 consumes less power.

Could it be a power supply issue as well?

I doubt it's a power issue. The HD 5570 only uses 25W at full load.

Yeah I wasn't thinking that either. That was the main reason I went with it because of all the sites that reported its low power usage.

So just to confirm, even though the card performs well in games, because of that boot problem it may be defective and cause problems for me down the line? I'd like to know for sure because I purchased it a week or so ago and it is still under outletpc's 30-day policy.

So just to confirm, even though the card performs well in games, because of that boot problem it may be defective and cause problems for me down the line? I'd like to know for sure because I purchased it a week or so ago and it is still under outletpc's 30-day policy.

Yes

Ok, thanks for your help. I'm going to go ahead and submit an RMA to outletpc's site and see if I can get a replacement.

Well, in case someone should find this thread on google or something it appears the Radeon 5xxx series have compatibility issues with Dells with BIOS 1.0 versions. So, if youre one of the few users still using a dell computer and have a BIOS version of 1.0.xx and have this happening, this is why.

Must be something to do with the 5570 being PCI Express 2.1, and not PCI Express 2.0 and something on the Dell BIOS just doesn't like that.

The card seemed to perform well, it was just those 40 second start up times and being unable to resume from sleep mode. I sent it back and am going to look at another low-profile series or just go with the radeon 4650 and be on the safe side.

Back