LOOK OUT - possible scammer/fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
User Owos contacted me via PM about buying an SSD I was selling. After some discussion and negotiation, he agreed to buy it. Payment was prompt, and all seemed okay.

However, this morning, he sent another PM, saying that "something came up" and he might have to go back on the deal, and not to ship yet. I'm glad I checked [H] this morning, because I had the drive packed up and ready to go. Screenshot of PM here.

The rest of the day goes by with nothing, until a little while ago he sends another PM and says that he's "going to go a different route" and that he's going back on the deal. Here's where it gets EXTREMELY suspicious: he says to send back "the full amount minus $5", saying the $5 is for the trouble. This is a BIG red flag to me. Screenshot of PM here. Instead, I opted to do a full refund through Paypal's refund process, which reversed the transaction completely and sent the money back. Screenshot of refund here.

I'd already left positive Heat for him, and when going back to request a change, I notice he had none. (I didn't notice it last night for reasons below.) Getting curious, I decided to check this profile here, and it turns out he has no posts at all. How was he able to see I had an SSD for trade if he couldn't access FS/T?

After this it's likely he won't try it again under the same name, but I want to warn you all NOT to do business with this user. I would have done more due diligence myself, but I've been on a lot of lorazepam and almost no sleep while dealing with my father nearly dying of heart failure last week and being in the hospital until this afternoon. Still, I'm going to tell you what I can to let you guys know to watch out for the following:

Name: [redacted]
Email: [removed]
Address: [redacted]

Now the backing out on a done deal isn't what really bothers me. what bothers me is the "keep $5 for the trouble". I don't know if that's against any rules per se, but it SCREAMS attempted fraud to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have access to it. They can't post in it. Standard scammer you came across.

Also, mods don't approve of posting other people's personal info.

Email address would be useful so someone would be able to avoid payments from the guy, but the other personal stuff probably isn't needed.

Am I missing the scam here? Sounds like something came up, and he offered up $5 for your time.

Better safe than sorry may be superb for your personal philosophy on interacting with others. Calling someone out with a hunch is libel.

Last edited:
Yeah, doesnt seem to scream fraud when someone offers a bit of cash for the trouble. Think of it as a re-stocking fee. :)

Yeah I don't see the possible scam here at all. Looks like he found another SSD that he considered a better deal and since he wasted some of your time he offered you 5$

I would have taken the 5$.

Yeah, I can see it being a scam if he contacted you after you had shipped and wanted a refund, but the item never left your hands. Unless he asked you to refund to a different email address I'm not sure that it really was a scam...

I'm not seeing the scam here , but with zero feedback and zero posts on the forum, he is not a person I would have been dealing with anyway.

Also, from the way your post reads,it seems as if you did your research on your buyer after the deal was made......you may want to change that in the future.....

How is this a scam? Dude just didnt want your SSD and even offered you $5. People are so paranoid these days I swear.

Am I missing the scam here? Sounds like something came up, and he offered up $5 for your time.

I agree. I hate when people back out last minute, so when I have to for one reason or another, I always try to make it worth their while.

I'm not sure how it works with paypal but with checks the concept is you transfer the money back minus 5 dollars and their check never clears so your just out that money.

How do you guys see this not being a scam. The guys sent payment and backed out. Instead of getting a refund he wanted the OP to send him a new payment as refund. Once he got that payment he would then file a claim for the first payment saying he never received the product.

Makes sense to me.

How do you guys see this not being a scam. The guys sent payment and backed out. Instead of getting a refund he wanted the OP to send him a new payment as refund. Once he got that payment he would then file a claim for the first payment saying he never received the product.

Makes sense to me.

you are making an assumption of what would have happened though, OP did the right thing and just refunded, which is how it should be when the deal doesn't happen.

Makes sense to me.
I don't see where it says he asked for a new payment, he asked for his money back minus $5.00....
PayPal offers a partial refund option....he could have easily refunded him the payment minus the $5.00

Makes sense to me.

Paypal lets you do "partial refunds" as well. There would be no loss in this case if a claim was made, since you could just go ahead and refund the balance of the refund. There's no need to ever send anyone a payment as a refund when you can just use the refund (full/partial) option directly.

Makes sense to me.

How's that " jump to conclusions" mat working out for you?

Why on earth do people sell something and then go leave heatware right after that? That isn't how heatware is suppose to work. I see people do this time and time again. Someone buys a item the jump to heatwares page and leave a positive for the person buying the item.Heatware feedback is suppose to be left after the buyer gets the package and is 100% happy with the item. Meaning it works like it should and was just as described in the for sale/trade thread. And both the buyer and seller is happy.

And 99% of the time it is people with low heatware trying to build it up faster. Then you run into some problems like the op has. Since he jumped the gun leaving feedback on heatware, he know has to remove it. If he now cannot edit it he has to email them and explain what the issue/reason is.

People stop doing this honestly. On the next issue, i honestly think it was very nice of him to offer you some cash for your troubles after he backed out. Doesn't look like a scam to me. As it was his money and he was even going to allow you to keep 5 dollars of it for your time. Sounds like a stand up person in my book.

Wow! Wished I could get scammed into a free $5 for my troubles...lol

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Last edited:
Hmmf...no "edit" function via the mobile app makes me sad....haha

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Going back to paypal. Does a claim work when item isnt bought on ebay? But a invoice sent for requesting for payment for an item bought? Then send money, but item came in, not as described in invoice? I would really like advice as I am pissed about my situation I couldnt get help with.

Going back to paypal. Does a claim work when item isnt bought on ebay? But a invoice sent for requesting for payment for an item bought? Then send money, but item came in, not as described in invoice? I would really like advice as I am pissed about my situation I couldnt get help with.

My friend is a top-rated eBay seller/Premire PayPal user. Anything you need to know, post/PM me and I'll ask when I see him around 9ET.

PayPal has always made things right for me and fucked the other person when they were at fault. So you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back