Looking for a good temperature monitoring app

GuruX

Gawd
I've built my first desktop rig in a few years, and was wondering what people use for temperature monitoring. I've remember a program called Motherboard Monitor (MBM) back when I had a desktop before, but was curious what's out there now.

Here's what I have:

AMD Athlon64 x2 4200+ CPU
ABit AT8-32 motherboard (Radeon Xpress 3200 chipset)
ATI X1900 Crossfire Edition video card (I plan to add the second one later)

Pretty much I'm looking for a way to monitor CPU temperatures and GPU temps if possible.

I use SpeedFan and really like it. It shows one temp (CPU by default) on the taskbar. Can open it up to see every temp, including hard drive temps. You can also see the voltages (although software readings are never precise) and fan speeds. And there is a tab for SMART readings (hard drive fitness/performance). The latest version also has advanced SMART analysis, using a website with a big database.

On my ABit board, it measures VCore wrong (it says my 4200+ is running at 2.0V -- yet my BIOS reported something like 1.4V which I believe is more accurate). I also can't monitor any fans (not even CPU fan).

Could it be due to the fact my motherboard is so new?

(Oh, and thanks to the mod who moved my post for me -- didn't realize there was a Software section)

I don't know how accurately software can measure the voltages so I'm of no help there. As for the fans, do you have your fans plugged into the motherboard? That is the only way it can mointor them.

speedfan is the best there is that's free, since mobo monitor stopped being developed... My only problem with it is that it will get stuck, and consume 100% of my cpu resources eventually, if I allow it to try and read all nvidia components on my system. There is a flag you can run to turn it off, and then I have no problems.. No biggie though, I don't mind not seeing my vid card temps, and chipset temps... it'll still report on everything else..

Back