Looking for a new Cingular phone

donahue

Gawd
I have grown tired of the blocky, bulkiness of my Sony Ericsson z500a and am looking for a new phone. I subscribed to Cingular back in February of 05 when the z500a came out so I won't be eligable for a new phone until August 06 (18 months inbetween).

Right now I am looking at the Razr (about $200 on eBay) and the Nokia 6102 (about $150 on eBay). I like the 6102 a little better actually because it is more unique and less flashy than the Razr, which a lot of people have now. Anyone have reccomendations on either phone or a place to buy them at a better price? Thanks.

I'd go with the Nokia. Motorola has a tendency to be hit and miss, I've had some Motorolas that were awesome phones, and some that just fell apart in a few months. I've always been the happiest with my Nokias, and they're well known for their superior, consistent RF quality.

I would stay away from the razr too - I hear they have really bad return rates

razr looks soo cool though.......... but yea ive had bad experience with motorolla as well. My phone stopped working one day for no reason, no water damage, no droppage notta....

Well I can’t say that we have had a single problem with any of the razr’s we have got in. I also have a lot of customers who got there razr elsewhere and I have yet to hear of a problem. However I don’t find the phone to be all that special or unique anymore.

As for the Nokia 6101 and 6102 I am also not that impressed. It is smaller then the 6170 I have but the phone doesn’t feel as solid to me.

But in the end no other phone I have used or come across seems to compare to my Samsung D500 that I got from the FS/FT forum here. Also out of all the phones we have in our stores right now I prefer mostly the Samsung phones.

I just checked out Cingulars line up and I would have to say they don’t seem to be pushing any nice Samsungs right now. Try looking for some unlocked phones on ebay.

Tom

I bought the v3 razr this past summer and i must say that I truley love it. I've dropped it several times on concrete and it is extremely durable as the body is made of aluminum. The reason I bought it is because it fits well in my pocket, i don't like bulky phones. Now that you can buy one from cingular for $100 I don't know why you wouldn't get one. Who cares if everyone has one, it's a great and very powerful phone.

If you read my entire post you should see that I have been with Cingular for 10 months and it is unlikely that I will renew the conract for a new phone.

Razr is too cliche and flashy so I'm gonna stay away from that phone no matter how good it is. It's pretty mch down to the 6102 and finding a good deal on eBay.

Samsung D600

Trying to find one myself right now.. for a reasonable price.. :p

I just picked up the Audiovox SMT5600 a month ago and love it. I used to have the Motorola MPX200 and this thing way out performs it. Look into it if you're into the whole Windows Mobile scene.

donahue said:

yeah thats the price ive been seeing em for..

Korea has some awesome phones.. Wish they brought em to the states. :(

I

Nokia 6620 here. Paid $375. I love it. I broke my v551 against my front door after it dropped 5 calls in succession. Stay away from motorola's. They are sturdy phones but very unreliable when it comes to signal strength.

I have always had good luck with motorola. I was with nexel for 4 years before switching to cingular. All my motorola phones (i1000, i60, i90, i95cl) have performed flawlessly and my current v551 is no exception. You can modify the software to fit your needs using various tools found on the internet. I have had occasional problems with dropped calls but I have had them with my v551 as well as the lg c1300 and the samsung 427m but I believe it has more to do with the service provider than the phone itself.

Well, I decided against the 6102 becuase I have always had flip phones and went for a change in the Siemens S66. I have read many reviews and it seems to be hit or miss with the phone. Keys are too small for some but I have skinny fingers, thats what you get in exchange for a huge screen. Its a damn sexy phone, period. Some of them seem to have problems with random lock ups and crashes, and I'm just hoping mine doesn't or I may have to look into updating firmware. Anyone have any complaints/praises on this phone or Siemens in general?

i second myworldphone.com. I've bought several phones from them with no problems.

I have played around with a few of the Siemens slider phones. They weren’t bad but besides being a unique slider phone they didn’t have much going for them. I have also come across many CF62 flip phones and I hate them. I looked up the one you mentioned and it doesn’t look to bad but I wouldn’t personally bother with it at the prices I was seeing.

Also I know it doesn’t exactly help you out now but I found a good seller on eBay with over 40 Samsung D500 for sale at a really nice price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-SGH-D50...840052746QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW I am not endorsing this seller I do not know them and I haven’t purchased anything from them. They have a lot of feedback and some of it is negative. I am however thinking about purchasing a second D500 at that price.

donahue said:
Well, I decided against the 6102 becuase I have always had flip phones and went for a change in the Siemens S66. I have read many reviews and it seems to be hit or miss with the phone. Keys are too small for some but I have skinny fingers, thats what you get in exchange for a huge screen. Its a damn sexy phone, period. Some of them seem to have problems with random lock ups and crashes, and I'm just hoping mine doesn't or I may have to look into updating firmware. Anyone have any complaints/praises on this phone or Siemens in general?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
screwmesa said:
I just picked up the Audiovox SMT5600 a month ago and love it. I used to have the Motorola MPX200 and this thing way out performs it. Look into it if you're into the whole Windows Mobile scene.
I got one too about 5 or 6 months ago. Before Cingular carried it. Got it on ebay and did all the unlocking. Great Windows Mobile phone. Screen is really nice too.

Back