Looking for a new optical drive. Any recomendations?

CLock3

Gawd
Hello. I'm looking to get a new optical drive, but I'm not quite sure what to go with. I'm not looking to spend more than $30 really. There seems to be plenty around newegg for that price with good reviews. One thing I'm wondering though, is there any advantage to going SATA over IDE besides how nice the cable looks? I would like to go sata, but the problem is I wouldn't be able to run a sata power connector to the drive. Do they include a molex->sata adapter usually? Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

Well a SATA DVD burner does allow for better airflow than IDE. But that's pretty much it. No real speed difference between IDE or SATA burners. Unfortunately, OEM DVD drives do not include a molex to SATA adaptors.

If you can find a molex to SATA adaptor (They usually come with hard drives), I recommend this DVD burner:
Samsung SH-203N 20X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $27

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. Even if I could get something like a sata extension, that would work. Not sure where I could get one though, or if they're even made, haha. I'll have to do some looking around.

Dunno if this is long enough, but its only $3. Hopefully it doesnt add a whole lot to shipping charges, lol.
$3 - Coolmax SATA Power Adapter Cable - OEM

perfect, thanks enginurd. a lot of the optical drives have free shipping, so even though i'm paying 6 bucks to have a cable shipped, I won't feel so bad, haha.

perfect, thanks enginurd. a lot of the optical drives have free shipping, so even though i'm paying 6 bucks to have a cable shipped, I won't feel so bad, haha.

lol... i'd still chat with a newegg rep and bitch about it, lol.

Lite-ON drives work great for me. Check the spec.s carefully. Some OEM drives come with software, but some don't.

I ended up going with the SH-203N suggested above. Had a ton of good reviews, plus 2x customer choice award on newegg, and it just seems overall to be a pretty popular drive.

I just ended up paying for it. I didn't really feel like going through the hassle of complaining to newegg about it. Altogether it was like 40 bucks shipped, so it's not that bad.

Lite-ON drives work great for me. Check the spec.s carefully. Some OEM drives come with software, but some don't.

LiteON is the awesome of optical drives.

Ive had at least 3 or 4 liteon drives, all worked until i decided to unplug them and upgrade. you wont be sorry.

Well a SATA DVD burner does allow for better airflow than IDE. But that's pretty much it. No real speed difference between IDE or SATA burners. Unfortunately, OEM DVD drives do not include a molex to SATA adaptors.

If you can find a molex to SATA adaptor (They usually come with hard drives), I recommend this DVD burner:
Samsung SH-203N 20X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $27

i have that one, love it, really fast and quiet, i think i paid an extra few bucks for a molex to SATA power adapter cable at the egg when i ordered mine, that was back when i had an old POS power supply with only two SATA power cables

Back