looking for a quite but effective HSF

MzL

Limp Gawd
im building a new comp and was looking for a nice heat sink

i came apon 2 and wondering if anyone has advice on them and other recomended heat sinks

ultima 90
Bigtyp 120 vx

thanks for any advice

When asking for help, please be specific when listing products. Stating the manufacture and proper model name is good practice.

The ultima 90 is Thermalrights smaller version of the 120. The Thermalright Ultra 120 is the best air cooler bar none.

The Bigtyp 120 vx is Thermaltake's(not the same as thermalright) top air cooler. Properly known as the Big Typhoon.

Thermaltake is an average company. Their water coolers are the worst on the market and IMHO, their cases are crap. The Bigtyp 120 vx is probably the only exception to their line of poor quality and unreliable products.

As you can see, the big typhoonVX kicks ass on idle, but falls behind on load, whereas the ultima 90 handles the stress better.
If you cant get the Thermalright Ultra 120 or the Tuniq Tower 120, then either of the coolers you listed will do fine.
15305.png
15304.png

MzL what Droc says above is right also you say you're building new rig so you need to tell us what processor you intend cooling to give us any chance of providing you with advice and/or opinions on suitable heatsinks.

thanks Droc i didn't know one was thermalright . i thought both was thermaltake

i had another tread talking about what i wanted
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031407423&posted=1#post1031407423

im will be running on

abit IP35pro
Q6600
in a Lian li A05-B case

thanks for the advice guys:)

In that case I'd recommend Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme or Tuniq Tower, though admittedly I don't know 100% if either of these will fit in your case, I think they will.

edit: The Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme comes without a fan, so it's really the fan you buy to go with it that determines how noisy it will be

I'm biased towards the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme as I'm running that on: Q6600, Abit IP35-E, Antec P182 case (with a Noctua fam attached to the TRU 120-E).

With all case fans on low (I'm after a quiet rig) at ~22DegC ambient my processor temps are: 34-35DegC Idle and 57DegC under load (Prime95).

I have 3 scythe s-flex fans arriving tomorrow to replace my stock antec tri-cool fans, so I'll hopefully be able to reduce temps further by running faster fans without impacting on the noise level.

Depending on how that goes I' may even be tempted into a little O/Cing :D

All of the HSF's that have been recommended will fit that case.If you check the case forum and the thread dedicated to that mini case,you'll soon see they will.

If you dont mind pretty high temps,but still want a nice oc on the quad (g0),I'd go fanless,and grab a HR-01+ or a ULTIMA 90i from Thermalright.I have both,and both of them are lapped well.(300/400/600/1000).Both of these will cool a quad passively with a small oc.
Mind you,you will need to have decent airflow in your case.I have 2 Coolermaster 12cm blue LED intake/exhaust fans that at 1220rpm make almost no noise,and a side 9cm fan blowing off to the side of the Ultima at 1400~ rpm.

As well as a Antec Spotcool on medium blowing on it off to the side by about 4 to 5 inches,its attached to the top most standoff to the right.

thanks gusy for the advice

i will praobly get the
Ultra-120 eXtreme or tuniq 120

but depending if i find them where i live

thanks all ~

Back