Looking for an ultra portable laptop that does not have an atom

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for a laptop around 11" or smaller that does not have an crapy atom cpu.

So far the Sony TT looks like an awesome option with its 11" screen, core 2 duo, 4gb ram, blueray player/recorder, and 9hr battery life.

Any other options out there or is sony the only one?

Last edited:
there is the HP DV2 series, it comes with the AMD neo mv-40 cpu, which beats the pants of an atom, but it is single core

it is a 12" screen, weighs in at 1700 gram, but battery life is a tad dissapointing, at 2 to 3 hours

Sorry I skimmed through the OP. :(

It seems like the TT is the smallest thing you're gonna get with Blu-Ray. Out of curiosity, why does it have to be under 12"?

You may want to wait for the rumored (but likely) Dell Inspiron Mini 11. It's supposed to have an 11-inch screen (obviously) and, importantly, Intel's new CULV processors. Roughly in between the Atom and full-speed Core 2 Duo chips; it's be closer to the VAIO TT but with prices much more down to Earth.

Also, don't fret about screen size alone: a TT may be small In screen size, but it's thicker and not much lighter at all than larger systems (see: MacBook Air).

Sony TZ

Looking at last years model and it has a hybrid 64GB SSD drive + a 320GB regular hdd for $1k less.

I might pick that up, very interesting features.

That Sony TZ series is still damned awesome... but if I was to choose something at this point, money not being a factor, I'd take one of the IBM/Lenovo tiny ones, probably the x300 without even thinkin' about it.

there is the HP DV2 series, it comes with the AMD neo mv-40 cpu, which beats the pants of an atom, but it is single core

it is a 12" screen, weighs in at 1700 gram, but battery life is a tad dissapointing, at 2 to 3 hours

Really? Saw the Office Depot deal on that model for $600 on SD yesterday. I saw some benchmarks showing the ATOM still is faster.
Can you link to some reviews/tests?

I want to know performance/watt - efficiency - battery life. This is key in portables.

[H]unter;1034056001 said:
Really? Saw the Office Depot deal on that model for $600 on SD yesterday. I saw some benchmarks showing the ATOM still is faster.
Can you link to some reviews/tests?

I want to know performance/watt - efficiency - battery life. This is key in portables.

a quick google finds this:
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050489,44635507p-2,00.htm

it doesnt completely destory atom in all cases, but it can be up to twice as fast in other cases. The MV40 is basically just a single core AMD 64+ at 1.6 GHz

i briefly considerd the DV2 as a replacement for my 12 inch MSI (turion x2 etc..) but the loss of performance would be too great considering i want to keep the replacement for three years.

battery life is rather poor though, compared to most new netbooks, 2.5 hours in video playback compared to twice that on higher end netbooks..

I am looking for a laptop around 11" or smaller that does not have an crapy atom cpu.

So far the Sony TT looks like an awesome option with its 11" screen, core 2 duo, 4gb ram, blueray player/recorder, and 9hr battery life.

Any other options out there or is sony the only one?

if you want what you state above then you need to wait for either:

> AMD Congo platform
> nVidia Ion2 platform

Back