Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) blu-rays $39.99

I'd get this in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that every movie is split between two discs because the movies are so fucking long they actually exceed the capacity of a bluray disc!

I'd get this in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that every movie is split between two discs because the movies are so fucking long they actually exceed the capacity of a bluray disc!

Yeah, but at least they didn't compromise on quality, splitting it allows for much higher bit-rates. If you want the single disk the theatrical non-extended editions are single disk. :)

You could rip and merge them. (Of course, if you don't re-encode them, you'll need lots of hard drive space)

As much as I would love to have the extended version on BluRay, that would be my third purchase of the trilogy....theatrical release, extended release and now BluRay. Gotta draw the line somewhere, but that is really a good price. :cool:

Had to grab this one. I've got digital copies from iTunes, but always wanted the BluRay extended versions. Thanks, OP! :)

I got the Blu-Ray a while ago, with only minimal shame over already owning the EE trilogy on DVD. I've got to say, the DVD packaging is prettier, in it's aged-book looking boxes. And it looks even better between my Argonath bookends. I guess they will just be a nerdish work of art.

I got the Blu-Ray a while ago, with only minimal shame over already owning the EE trilogy on DVD. I've got to say, the DVD packaging is prettier, in it's aged-book looking boxes. And it looks even better between my Argonath bookends. I guess they will just be a nerdish work of art.

Yeah I agree, ended up just putting the Blu Rays into the slots where the actual movie DVDs used to go inside the pretty DVD sets, since I got the stand-alone blu releases of each movie from Target a while back. I still have the pretty packaging and kept the extras of the DVD set that way.

Still love these movies, had a marathon day a few weeks back and busted through them.

Each film is split into 2 discs? On Blu?

Idiocy..

I'm sure it was out of necessity and like others have said they would rather get the better quality than the convenience. Isn't each EE movie like 4+ hours along anyways? You need a piss break in there somewhere.

another thing is that even though the movies themselves are on Blu-ray all the extras are on DVD...I think they didn't make an effort to go all out because they knew that after Hobbit is finished that another super Collector's Edition will be released which will be the definitive edition

As much as I would love to have the extended version on BluRay, that would be my third purchase of the trilogy....theatrical release, extended release and now BluRay. Gotta draw the line somewhere, but that is really a good price. :cool:

that pretty much sums it up for me. :)

Each film is split into 2 discs? On Blu?

Idiocy..

Not if you want to watch the entire movie in high quality on your high end entertainment system. I would much rather the makers of the Blu Ray disks not sacrifice on audio or video quality by trying to compress everything to fit on a single disk.

Luckily this is only my 2nd purchase of the series. First was on DVD extended edition, then I waited for the EE bluray, fuck the theatrical release money grab.

Just rip them to your hard drive and stitch them together with mkvtoolnix.

Kinda want. I never saw all of them and the first one I did see was in High School and it was a knock off cam on VHS.

2 disc BD per movie, even with dual-layer? Wow.

Never owned a BD system.
Owned the original cut DVDs which DLs.

Not if you want to watch the entire movie in high quality on your high end entertainment system. I would much rather the makers of the Blu Ray disks not sacrifice on audio or video quality by trying to compress everything to fit on a single disk.

Well the difference is that the masses that might buy this, probably don't have "high end entertainment systems" they'll have their 1080p LCDs and what not, but apparently not as much as audio/videophiles might have. Having to swap discs mid movie is worse of an experience than minute quality issues with a tiny bit of compression IMO.

Well the difference is that the masses that might buy this, probably don't have "high end entertainment systems" they'll have their 1080p LCDs and what not, but apparently not as much as audio/videophiles might have. Having to swap discs mid movie is worse of an experience than minute quality issues with a tiny bit of compression IMO.

They have the 1 disc per movie theatrical release versions as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Pi...60&sr=1-12&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+trilogy

They have some version/format for every taste.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Try watching these 4 1/2 hour movies on a great home theater setup. It's completely justified..

I must admit i bought these extended's for the copious amount of audio commentary tracks they offer. I already own the theatrical cuts on blu, but i enjoy watching/listening to the commentary's on my 2nd monitor as i game or whatnot on my main. I appreciate the insights from the director and cast of my favorite films.

And yes we want the best quality possible, but swapping disc's mid-film is still a major pain in the ass. I'm a fan of the Blu format, but this is just another example of how ridiculous the people in charge of creating these formats are.

Give me 4k flash drive-unlimited space format now!. But of course i'll then be dipping again, Jesus it never ends..

And yes we want the best quality possible, but swapping disc's mid-film is still a major pain in the ass.

That pain is probably your colon backing up after sitting on you ass for 3 straight hours!

The cutoff points are all at very good points. They're not jarring at all. That said, I ripped the collection and joined each disc for streaming from my Plex server. These also come with digital copies.

The cutoff points are all at very good points. They're not jarring at all. That said, I ripped the collection and joined each disc for streaming from my Plex server. These also come with digital copies.

How good are the digital copies?

Many theaters showed these movies with an intermission anway.

and its not like you aren't going to pause for bathroom and snack breaks at home, anyway.

I'll take 35mbps video and lossless audio on a couple of discs over the alternatives, anyday.

Back