Love your Socket A?

alright.. me and my 2600 Barton will join this fantastic club. She still runs strong, see no reason to upgrade in the future.

welcome new members!

Now i need to convince my dad to order me the Athlon XP overclocking kit for highspeedpc... then I can start having fun.

skudmunky said:
welcome new members!

Now i need to convince my dad to order me the Athlon XP overclocking kit for highspeedpc... then I can start having fun.

Our fearless leader needs a KIT? To overclock his athlon? I call foul!

All in favor of impeachment unless he doesn't buy it say "Aye"!

jk.

apHytHiaTe said:
Our fearless leader needs a KIT? To overclock his athlon? I call foul!

All in favor of impeachment unless he doesn't buy it say "Aye"!

jk.

rofl!

yeah, appearently the pencil trick doesnt work with palomino cores. The kit I refer to comes with a needle (GASP!!!) a magnifying glass (also GASP!!!) non conductive paste, conductive grease, and some cleaning stuff in case (though of course I won't :D) mess up.

XP1800+ and XP2500+ Barton@3200+ here. I'll be replacing the 2500+ for an A64 but it will still be running in my gf's computer! Aaaaand the 1800+ will go to her daughter. Gotta keep them alive, good cpu's for the average user :cool:

perplex said:
what the hell is a "DC" ?

I know this has been answered, but Domain Controller. Domains are normally reserved for medium to large buisinesses, although some small buisimesses use them.

Hell I'd set one up but I only have 3 computers. And none of them are particularly in need of group policy control or whatever.

ok.. so i just decided to ressurect my old duron 750.. i just traded my dad that + an only gigabyte board that uses pc 133 ram.. for a celeron 800 and mobo... that celeron was oc'ed to 1.013 ghz or something like that... 8 x 133 on stock volts.. i hope my duron doesn't dissapoint and hits at least the 997mhz mark.. (133 x 7.5) i am sure that mobo doesn't have vcore.. i do remember combo being about the most stable computer i had when i had it.. the thing never crashed.. then i got an ecs k7s5a and 1600+ and it ran like total crap.. shitty ecs board.. maybe the psu too...

so yeah.. i am buildng up my socket A collection now.. haha..

scottatwittenberg said:
hen i got an ecs k7s5a and 1600+ and it ran like total crap.. shitty ecs board.. maybe the psu too...

so yeah.. i am buildng up my socket A collection now.. haha..

hey,thats the CPU and board I have. and they have served me well for 5 years. don't be knockin the K7S5A

i love my socket a! it's my main system and it's really snappy, really stable, and really reliable. it's the fastest system i've ever used, short of applications like encoding that are strictly cpu based. windows itself is very quick though, much quicker that supposedly faster machines. i guess having a scsi drive as your main drive helps that ;)

my machines:

- a64 3000: HTPC
- xp2500 (before they were locked) at 2.1ghz and undervolted: main machine
- tbird1000@1333 for my parents' pc
- xp1800 in my sister's shuttle
- pIII 1000 for my garagepc
- pIII 500 for my dc/file server/router/exchange server/....
- pM 1.7 in my laptop

so i have more socket a's in the house than anything else, and i still sell systems with nforce2 igp motherboards for great bang for the buck budget systems. consider this my request to join the club

EDIT: now we need some socket a propaganda to express our love and admiration.

1t.jpg

coolnquiet.jpg

5 Socket A systems here (the one in my sig plus 4 T-bred B 1700+s OCd to somewhere around 2.2GHz). All Folding along happily.

So yeah, throw me on the roster.

If there's an opening, I'd like to be the Director of the Department of the Redundancy Department Director. :D

My first build was a 1800+ palomino, now I have a 2700+ thoroughbred and duron 650 lying around. I love the price of socket A setups, but I have to say, I hate the lack of multitasking performance when compared to intel cpus (even non hyperthreading ones, but of course to a lesser extent).

I had an ecs k7vza laying around that I just put in my brother-in-law's computer. His hp motherboard shot craps, so I hooked all his components up to the ecs mobo and an old 800mhz athlon processor. I also hooked my old 64mb Hercules kyro II up to it. It works great now, except that I can't get the floppy drive to work.
I also built my mom and dad a computer using my old computer parts. It's a 2400xp hooked up to an Asus a7v133. Now if I could just get them to learn how to use it.

Leright said:
omgomg!! I have a dual athlon MP 1600 rig. I wanna be treasurer. :cool:

We should have some fun or interesting things going on...

Anyways, a question. If given a choice, would you choose an Athlon XP, MP, Duron, Barton, or Sempron of equal speeds?

I love Socket A!

The very first rig I built all by myself was a Thunderbird @ 1GHz on a KT7A mobo.

I went through the ranks: XP 1900+, XP 2000+, and then back to a 1700+, but with the infamous JIUHB stepping and NF7-S 2.0 mobo.

That 1700+ has been running at 2.3GHz for what, over 2 years now. I've since upgraded to a 3700+ San Diego, and the 'ol 1700+ will serve my sister well in college.

skudmunky said:
If given a choice, would you choose an Athlon XP, MP, Duron, Barton, or Sempron of equal speeds?

Barton!

AthlonXP, MP, and Sempron, and Duron are all just about the same T-Bred cores. And the only visible difference between AthlonXP and AthlonMP (besides costs) is the difference of a single L5 bridge on the PCB. But Barton core has more L2 cache and still clocks really high and was a nice finishing processor to leave Socket A with. So I'm all over that option :)

if you're not gaming and/or require fast rendering and/or fast encoding , there is absolutely no reason to upgrade from socket A, right? :rolleyes: :eek:

i got XP 2400+ here :eek: - but i'm going to have to get a socket 754 because i need to build a new computer for college :)

perplex said:
if you're not gaming and/or require fast rendering and/or fast encoding , there is absolutely no reason to upgrade from socket A, right? :rolleyes: :eek:

I game on my socket A. Runs CS at 60 fps, 1280 x 960 no problem.

Saving my money for an m2 systems :D

SoundStorm. Until I get a DDL ready add-in sound card, all of my Socket A system will remain in service.

skudmunky said:
We should have some fun or interesting things going on...

Anyways, a question. If given a choice, would you choose an Athlon XP, MP, Duron, Barton, or Sempron of equal speeds?

I don't know. My first processor I bought was an 800mhz duron. My brother-in-law bought an 800mhz Athlon. I used both processors and at that speed I really couldn't tell a difference between the two. My next proc. was a 2400 xp and I now use a 2400 xp-m. I had a hard time deciding between the barton and the mobile. At the time I bought my mobile, the bartons were starting to be sold with locked multipliers. I did get a barton 2500 for a friend's computer. I guess xp would have to be my favorite, with the barton a close second.

skudmunky said:
I game on my socket A. Runs CS at 60 fps, 1280 x 960 no problem.

Saving my money for an m2 systems :D

save for a M2 is a good idea! mmmm M2...

but seriousl CS is not gamming... my ti86 caculator can run CS... lol

I(illa Bee said:
but seriousl CS is not gamming... my ti86 caculator can run CS... lol

CS is a game. when you play a game as much as I play CS, it's called 'gaming'. it doesnt matter how hard it is for your PC to run the game. If i played PONG it would still be gaming!

woot offtopic!

I play BF2 with lots of goodies turned on on my Barton 2500+ mobile. Its overclocked to hell though.

What's to get mad about? I'ts pretty old technology, makes sense that they'd discontinue, especially since you can make a s754 system for the same price as a sA.

Oh, I LOVE the inquirer's grammer! "Socket A processors are become rare birds..." :D

I'm still using socket A and I will continue to untill mine dies. Never liked 754 anyways...

Socket A is still awesome. I'm thinking of shelling the $$$ for a nice 9800pro, flashing the bios to XT speeds... Then I'd be able to game nicely, and it'd hold me off another year ish, till M2 has dropped the "its new, awesome, so we are going to overprice it" prices.

actually, on second though, maybe ill get a 6600GT, since its about the same price.

No offense, but I don't understand why people keep going for the 6600's over 9800 pros. 128 bit memory vs. 256 bit memory.... no brainer? I know the 6600 supports newer features and all that, but there's no replacement for bandwidth :)

6600gt is still faster than a 9800 pro despite being 128 bit and doesn't cost too much more.

Back