"Low memory"message comes up while web brwsing on PS3?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Okay, here's the deal. I just bought a PS3 and I'm sitting here browsing the internet from the console itself which is actually pretty cool. however, I get this "low memory" message when I go to a page that has quite a few pictures and I don't know the reason why.

my PS3 has a 40gb HDD which obviously has tons of storage memory so I don't know what's up wth this low memory message.

so, is there something I can change in my PS3's settings that will allow me to get rid of this low memory issue?

thanks for any advice. :)

A hard disk is not memory. As far as I know the PS3 doesn't have a swap file so it's memory is limited to whats installed.

the ps3 only has 256 mb of main system memory.

This means the ps3 has to load everything (operating system, web browser, page content) into that (puny) 256 mb space, and as said, it cant swap out anything to the disk.

Quite likely there is no way at all to get rid of this error, considering that this is a hardware limitation. I guess soney could patch some sort of swapping in there though

The PS2 has 256MB of system memory, and like the poster above said, no swap file (virtual memory). This means that once a page + whatever else the PS3 needs to view the page hits 256MB, you're given the errror.

It doesn't matter the size of your hard drive. It's talking about system memory.

Also, according to some articles on the web, the PS3's "OS" uses, or at least used (new updates may have decreased the required amount) around 96mb of ram... with another 9mb needed for friends list functionality. You subtract that from the 256mb of system memory and you're left with even less. Somebody had told me that the 96mb of memory being used is now down to 63, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Also, according to some articles on the web, the PS3's "OS" uses, or at least used (new updates may have decreased the required amount) around 96mb of ram... with another 9mb needed for friends list functionality. You subtract that from the 256mb of system memory and you're left with even less. Somebody had told me that the 96mb of memory being used is now down to 63, but I don't know if that's true or not.
Yeah, that's pretty much true. It sometimes bother me when people complain there's no in-game XMB yet (or access to certain XMB features), when the entire reason we don't have it yet is because of lack of RAM. Sony not being a software company is part of the reason the XMB eats up so much RAM (and they can't reserve more since devs already have issues with the PS3 RAM). Until enough memory is open, we won't have it (I constantly say this in forums, but the majority don't seem to listen).

I haven't come across it on the web browser, but I definitely believe it.

Yeah, that's pretty much true. It sometimes bother me when people complain there's no in-game XMB yet (or access to certain XMB features), when the entire reason we don't have it yet is because of lack of RAM. Sony not being a software company is part of the reason the XMB eats up so much RAM (and they can't reserve more since devs already have issues with the PS3 RAM). Until enough memory is open, we won't have it (I constantly say this in forums, but the majority don't seem to listen).

I haven't come across it on the web browser, but I definitely believe it.

Here's a great blog post on the 360 vs PS3 OS memory: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx

A friend just bought a PS3 and we tried the web browser and got the out of memory message when trying to load a video at youtube. Tried an Alizee video instead and that one played with no issues. I don't see the web browser as being a very useful feature myself and now you have to be concerned about getting a virus through the web browser too.

now you have to be concerned about getting a virus through the web browser too.

not really

Im not sure what back end rendering engine the PS3 uses, but i think even if it were some version of Opera, it would be highly unlikely that typical exploits would work on the browser to begin with. Then there is the fact that the PS3 uses a completely different architecture then home PCs, and most malicious code written for PCs wont work on the PS3s hardware, not to mention the OS.

And lastly, if sony were stupid enough in this day and age to not sandbox the shit out of their browser, they deserve everything thats coming to them.

So in conclusion, it might be possible to write a PS3 specific exploit/virus/worm and infect a PS3, but in general 99.99999999999999% of the malware out there is no threat to you

Back