Low pointage :'(

PigCorpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi.

I've been folding for a while, before I even got my current computer (in sig). It seems like I'm getting a lot fewer points than I used to get.

So I have 4 boxen going...

1. My main computer, not on 24/7
2. My old one, on 24/7, P3 w/ 256MB RAM
3. My mom's, sometimes on overnight, P4 2.6Ghz w/ 512MB RAM
4. This computer I borged over my summer job, on 24/7, P3, very slow

So right now, I have a 6PPD average. I think it was better back when I only had my old computer folding.

So I was wondering what settings I should be using for those computers. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks!

PigCorpse said:
1. My main computer, not on 24/7 - Specs?
2. My old one, on 24/7, P3 w/ 256MB RAM - Default Insallation w/ usrname
3. My mom's, sometimes on overnight, P4 2.6Ghz w/ 512MB RAM - add bigpacket
4. This computer I borged over my summer job, on 24/7, P3, very slow -Default insallation - maybe timeless wus

I made some suggestions above, but I need more specs so that we could better assist you.

Jon855 said:
I made some suggestions above, but I need more specs so that we could better assist you.

The specs for that computer are in my sig.

Thanks for the tips. I'll change them when I get a chance.

Another question, is there any way I can change the config while it's doing a WU? Does it delete the current WU if I change the settings?

6 points per day????

I got more than that from a single PII 266 when I had a dually PII 266 running. I think you have more trouble there than just some settings.

PigCorpse said:
The specs for that computer are in my sig.

Thanks for the tips. I'll change them when I get a chance.

Another question, is there any way I can change the config while it's doing a WU? Does it delete the current WU if I change the settings?
No it will not delete the wu, the changes will take effect for the next wu. Are u running the gui version or the client version?

To make changes, you need to first stop the client (usually through the services.msc), then run the client with the -configonly flag, then restart the client normally. Make sure you enable SSE optimizations in client.cfg, and use the -forceasm flag on the command line. Double-check the username/team on each box--a while ago I had a box or two somehow lose the username.

if the number 4 computer (summer borg - P3 very slow) is running timeless, then it won't be doing anything at all since Stanford has stopped timeless. But if its really slow, then it probably can't complete any non-timeless WUs in the necessary time, so that one might be a lost cause.

meisterbrau

I'm using the client version as a service for all of them.

How can I change the flags they run with?

Just a weird question:

Is it normal to need to use the -forceasm flag on my main computer (in sig)? I tried it and it goes really really fast, something like 2500PPD. But I was wondering why it doesn't do that by default.

Hmm

If I use -forceasm and -advmethods, I get 2500PPD but EMIII gives me a 'Time per frame' error at the end of the frame and it stops folding. :confused:

It stops folding altogether or EMIII doesn't report it correctly? EMIII usually needs to see a frame complete before it can report the PPD correctly. Check your task manager and see if your folding process is still running. If so then I think you might just need to wait till a new frame completes.

I don't think it's still folding. After the error, I waited a while (enough for a new frame to complete) but the new frame isn't reported. The frame progress gets stuck at 100%.

PigCorpse said:
Hmm .....I get 2500PPD but EMIII gives me a 'Time per frame' error at the end of the frame and it stops folding. :confused:

To get 2.5k PpD means you have around 30 Ghz folding .........

Its a known fault of EMIII that it sometime records the first frame time wrong.
For a rough idea how long it should take multiply Points by 0.12 to give you frame times in mins.
Thats for small Gromacs, Ambers, GBGromacs. For big Gromacs & DGromacs use 0.25.
For a 359 pointer give it around 40-50 mins a frame.

Luck .......... :D

Exactly! It was going through the frame like nothing. It's 345pts and probably finished in less than 4 min.

PigCorpse said:
Hmm

If I use -forceasm and -advmethods, I get 2500PPD but EMIII gives me a 'Time per frame' error at the end of the frame and it stops folding. :confused:

EMIII will take a little bit to get settled with the new changes. It creates the average time per frame which is how the points per day are figured. It will take a couple of frames before it can give you good numbers. Patience..... :D

PigCorpse said:
Exactly! It was going through the frame like nothing. It's 345pts and probably finished in less than 4 min.
:eek:

PigCorpse said:
I think something screws up when I'm using -forceasm.

That's possible, but my guess is that you have restarted and EMIII hasn't seen a complete frame, so reports the speed incorrectly. One way of easily checking folding is to go into Task Manager, under Performance, and check to see if the CPU is at 100% (or 75% if you're Marty ;) ). If it is maxed out, then you're folding.

Also, you can check the folding log to see if you are getting errors when running with -forceasm. If there are problems, they should show up in the log (FAHlog.txt) in your folding directory. If you system is stable, then -forceasm should be OK.

Back