Lower those 4870 temps!

So I got lucky and got my hands on a HIS 4870!
I know the temps are a bit high on the 4870. So, if I have some extra AC MX-2 after putting it on my processor, if I put it on the 4870 how much would it lower the temperatures?
Also, would it void my warranty? I'm not to sure about HIS's take on things like that.

I'm also curious about this. But I can tell you right now, you would probably be better off buying an aftermarket cooler. Removing the stock cooler and putting thermal paste on, then reapplying the stock cooler probably wouldn't make a huge difference in temperatures.

But anyway, yeah, does anybody know whether or not HIS allows aftermarket heatsinks and such without voiding the warranty?

I would wait for proper fan control and/or powerplay features to be added to the 4800's before doing ANYTHING. There's no reason to jump to conclusions when the cards aren't even fully supported yet. Especially since most people worry themselves about idle temps, and the cards aren't even "tweaked" to idle the lowest possible yet.

They don't idle hot as a mistake, it's not like ATI screwed up.
They let the cards out the door at ~80C temps because the card can handle it. If you plan to OC, then yes you might want to look into better cooling.

I'm planning on watercooling the 4870s I ordered. I'm taking a gamble that the Zalman waterblock will fit (course, they fit just about anything given the design of the block). As per voiding the warranty, unless there is a sticker over the heatsink that says otherwise, I would not worry about it.

Theoretically it would void your warranty, but I don't know if they diligently check that sort of thing if you RMA the card.

i dont tihnk its worth it, im pretty sure these newer cards can handle the higher even though it may seem hot in comparison to body temp

Here is my experience with Asus 4850 + Accelero S1:

4850 GPU temps:

Stock cooler: idle: ~70c, load ~94c. Stable

Accelero S1 rev.2 passive: idle: ~40c, load ~70c. Unstable.
Accelero S1 rev.2 + 80mm fan: idle 37c , load 59c. Stable.
Accelero S1 rev.2 + 120mm fan: idle 35c, load 54c. Stable.

I had some problems initially as the voltage regulators on 4850 run extremely hot and became unstable. The system would shutdown after 3mins of furmark when passive. People on other forums suggest you saw off the reference coolers voltage regulator heatsink and reuse it with Accelero S1. I Bought Enzotech 14x14x9mm vga ram sinks and used those with Acceleros own vga ram sinks.

After adding a fan Iam extremely pleased with the results. The card now runs totally silent and cool.

edit:

I think I'll another 120mm fan on the card as people have gotten extremely good OC out of this card once properly cooled.

Here is my experience with Asus 4850 + Accelero S1:

edit:

I think I'll another 120mm fan on the card as people have gotten extremely good OC out of this card once properly cooled.

What OC's are people getting ? Also, your temps are really good. That's a definite plus to know that some company can easily knock these temps down if they wish.

thanks

Try reseating the heat sink and using some *real* TIM. I've heard big drops from it.

Yeh I think I'll reseat the Accelero, I did not reapply thermal paste the second time I was fixing my previous mistakes with the voltage regulator cooling.

Thats what you get when you ghetto mod stuff at a late hour :p

I wonder if the S1 would fit on the 4870, does it have the same mounting holes?

OK here is how to lower your temps. I have done this with my Powercolor HD 4870 that I just got from mwave.com,

1. Download the latest version of Radeon Bios Editor(RBE), that supports hd 4000 series. New one was released just yesterday.
2. Download GpuZ.
3. Download Winflash Ati, all are from techpower up.

now, Moving on.

1. Run gpuz and click on the button right where it says bios version. and save the bios.
2. Run Radeon bios editor and go to file, open and open the bios that you just saved. Than go to fan control, and click on use look up table, and set up the fan speed and temps you want, I changed mine at to 31% starting and starting temp to 50c, and the fan stays at actually 31% all the time and the temp stays in the high 50's, it all might depend on your room temp though. so my fan speed stays at 31% because temp never goes beyond 50's, and it is pretty damn quite, and I don't know why ati didn't just leave the fan at that speed. Those fat heatpipes certainly hold their own if provided decent air flow.
4, now after you have edited your bios, save it.
5. open up winflash ati and load the bios you just saved, and program it. your screen will probably freeze for a miute and than you will get the message telling you to restart your comptuer, do so. and
now you have a card that runs nice and cool even while overclocked.

winflash ati seems to work fine, so don't panic, just exit control panel to be on the safe side.
but do it at your own risk, as it is up to you to do it, but I have done it three times now, the fan is not really noticeable over the rest of the system to 31% is a great balance.

It is better to do it this way, because you are actually using your original bios and the bios made by your card manufacturer, and not by some other card manufacturer, it will probably keep you on the safe side from voiding your warranty because your bios is still original bios but just edited for fan speed.

here is a screenshot.

biospn2.jpg

Just remember flashing your BIOS is at your own risk and don't play with settings or it might brick your card. Turn off your PC and restart it to check if it works out fine too after boots etc.

The RBE is still in beta stages so do so at your own risk

OK here is how to lower your temps. I have done this with my Powercolor HD 4870 that I just got from mwave.com,

1. Download the latest version of Radeon Bios Editor(RBE), that supports hd 4000 series. New one was released just yesterday.
2. Download GpuZ.
3. Download Winflash Ati, all are from techpower up.

now, Moving on.

1. Run gpuz and click on the button right where it says bios version. and save the bios.
2. Run Radeon bios editor and go to file, open and open the bios that you just saved. Than go to fan control, and click on use look up table, and set up the fan speed and temps you want, I changed mine at to 31% starting and starting temp to 50c, and the fan stays at actually 31% all the time and the temp stays in the high 50's, it all might depend on your room temp though. so my fan speed stays at 31% because temp never goes beyond 50's, and it is pretty damn quite, and I don't know why ati didn't just leave the fan at that speed. Those fat heatpipes certainly hold their own if provided decent air flow.
4, now after you have edited your bios, save it.
5. open up winflash ati and load the bios you just saved, and program it. your screen will probably freeze for a miute and than you will get the message telling you to restart your comptuer, do so. and
now you have a card that runs nice and cool even while overclocked.

winflash ati seems to work fine, so don't panic, just exit control panel to be on the safe side.
but do it at your own risk, as it is up to you to do it, but I have done it three times now, the fan is not really noticeable over the rest of the system to 31% is a great balance.

It is better to do it this way, because you are actually using your original bios and the bios made by your card manufacturer, and not by some other card manufacturer, it will probably keep you on the safe side from voiding your warranty because your bios is still original bios but just edited for fan speed.

here is a screenshot.

biospn2.jpg

WARNING!

I would seriously concider not flashing your video bios ATM....
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192759

I had bad luck with RBE with my old Club3D 3870. Whenever I changed a bios file with RBE and flashed it I got constant crashes when overclocking the card. This only happened when I changed the file with RBE, never found out the reason behind this. Finally found a BIOS with good fan settings and just overclocked with CCC.

Now on topic.

I ghetto modded another 120mm fan on the Accelero but temps dropped overall only about 3-4c so decided to ditch it. With two 120mm the whole Accelero S1 becomes really heavy and would have needed some sort of supporting. Too much hassle for me, single 120mm fan and Accelero on 4850 does good enough job. If Accelero S1 works this well with 4850, it should be good on 4870 too.

WARNING!

I would seriously concider not flashing your video bios ATM....
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192759

Yep, I'm having the exact same problems as purecain in that post after flashing my Diamond 4870 with RBE last night. Ran fine for awhile and then refused to boot this morning. Also 3 out of the 4 LEDs power on when the system powers up.
Edit: DOS flashing with original bios doesn't fix it either.

DO NOT FLASH YOUR 4870'S VIDEO BIOS UNTIL THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

It lower the GPU temp yes, at least 30c down but something else is overheating on the card and it will display graphic corruption and do a VPU recover and then a red led will turn on on the back of the card. Once the RED led is on, then it's impossible to run any 3d apps, games or bench. I discover the problem with fur benchmark. The only solution I had was to replace the original heatsink.

I don't understand, I tried to install the Accelero 2 times, once with the turbo fan kit and once with a 120mm fan. Put heatsink on memory and VRM still no go :confused:

Also be aware that the lower ram heatsink will interfere with the heat pipe.

I make it a RULE never to flash your video BIOS without using a workaround like Rivatuner or ATITools first for lowering card temps. Because FUBARing the system with a bad BIOS flash and then trying to fix it takes forever comparined to downloading a program and moving a bar left to right.

Back