m-audio 5.1 vs 7.1

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
well since i cannot use my x-fi in linux, im wanting to get rid of it. i thought about getting an audigy2, but that would mean getting another shitty creative product. (can u tell im a little upset? :p) so anyway.. on with the questioning. :)

i know they both use the same chipset, but is there anything really different about them? are the extra two channels done in software? are the dacs the same?

well..not sure about the technical bits..

but i got my 7.1 damn near 2 1/2 years ago..

still going strong with great sound :)

so if you have 5.1 go for the 5.1,
if u have 6.1/7.1 go for the 7.1 :)

5.1 has better driver support for xp x64 too if it helps you.

i have 5.1 2 , and i love it :)

The DACs and ADCs are not the same for the two cards. According to the straight specs, the Revolution 5.1 has a tiny edge in terms of the usual objective "sound quality" metrics like THD+N, SNR, etc. if I'm not mistaken.

sounds good to me... i didnt figure there to be too much of a difference. esp since im only going to use cans for the most part. thnx.

5.1 has better DAC and also an integrated amp...I don't believe the 7.1 has these two features. That said, for headphones, get 5.1, cheaper and better.

Did you say Linux? I'd be weary with any Envy card. I gave up on running my Revo 5.1 on Ubuntu.

-wil

regardless, ill be in a much better situation that with my x-fi, which im going to sell..

the envy24ht does have support. thus it will work. and all im gonna need out of it is 2 channels.

Back