M-audio Audiophile 192 and X-Fi XM coexisting together?

ynnek888

Limp Gawd
I've been dabbling more into music production lately, and have my eye on the M-audio Audiophile 192, especially for better ASIO latencies and balanced outputs to hookup to a pair of studio monitors.

I also like to game on the same system with my X-Fi XtremeMusic, which will have its own set of 5.1 speakers.

Anyone have any experience having both these cards installed in the same system? I figure at worse, if I have to, I can goto windows hardware/driver and temporarily disable one or the other?

Some extra info, running Windows XP home with the latest security patches on a 3.2HT Northy, 875 chipset, and a 6800gt.. Axiom-25 hooked up via USB.. Right now using Project5 and also using Rapture.

Although in the near future, I will be upgrading to a completely new system, probably along the lines of a e6600 on a DS3, with some variant of an 8 series vid card, after the first wave of the masses install and use Vista.. (probably may still leave a windows xp dual boot install anyways). I'm expecting to carry over both 192 and X-Fi over too..

For audio recording, almost anything is better than the XFI. I do a bunch of guitar and vocal recordings and they all have a delay if you plug it into the XFI and use the computer speakers. (so i have to turn down the speaker volume and turn up my amplifier) This is because of the high latencies that the audio signal goes through in the XFI. (although the delay is only about a second, it is enough to throw you off - im sure youve experienced this lol!)

Unfortunately i am no expert, but i dont think they can co-exist together... unless there are some kinky drivers out there.

What you may be able to do is install your mobo's onboard sound drivers, and see if those and the XFI are compatible. Then take it from there.

I don't know what kind of lag you're talking about dude, it's got really good asio support, like 10ms at hi resolution realtime sampling good (guitar rig). You get second lag if you are using directx or something, maybe check the drivers being used in that program. It's funny because I was just looking to see if the meridian is better than the x-fi platinum w/front panel etc. and this card is $100 more expensive after the mir ($60 mir@ncix), nor does it have the front access panel, any midi cables etc., both cards have dts, 24 bit/192khz, so it's not special by any stretch.

On my current system, I can't use anything faster than a setting of 40 ms under ASIO with bit matched playback when using my keyboard and soft synths.. (I don't do much live recording, in fact,non yet heh) Its good, I can barely tell when I'm using the keyboard. It could be. my setup, although I've heard other people having the same problem.

What the X-Fi lacks though are balanced outs, which I want to connect to a set of studio monitors... I try to compensate when I'm doing mixing with my computer spearkers right now, but its annoying. not to mention there is alot of detail that gets lost..

I think I'm going to give it a try. I've heard of other people using the 192 with onboard sound, both active.. I think EMU cards might have some problems because drivers are both made by Creative... (although I might have the details mixed in my head)

I use three different m-audio cards in the same machine, but they all use the same driver.

I don't think it'll be a problem. You should be able to have your X-Fi set as your primary audio output, and then just set your recording apps to use the M-Audio individually.

It might take some tinkering to get settings right but you sure won't be the first person to have two different cards running simultaneously.

Update: I finally plunked down the money, and got

two KRK RP8's
two really long TRS cables (computer is outside of the room)
and one M-audio Audiophile 192

The X-Fi and M-Audio 192 appear to be coexisting nicely under my Win XP computer.. And wow, do these things make a difference!

For audio recording, almost anything is better than the XFI. I do a bunch of guitar and vocal recordings and they all have a delay if you plug it into the XFI and use the computer speakers. (so i have to turn down the speaker volume and turn up my amplifier) This is because of the high latencies that the audio signal goes through in the XFI. (although the delay is only about a second, it is enough to throw you off - im sure youve experienced this lol!)

Unfortunately i am no expert, but i dont think they can co-exist together... unless there are some kinky drivers out there.

What you may be able to do is install your mobo's onboard sound drivers, and see if those and the XFI are compatible. Then take it from there.

Here we go again:rolleyes: If you're getting delay, you don't know how to use the X-Fi=P The ADC aren't that good but they don't suck either. I'd rather have an Hardware Accelerated EMU card :)

I've been dabbling more into music production lately, and have my eye on the M-audio Audiophile 192, especially for better ASIO latencies and balanced outputs to hookup to a pair of studio monitors.

I also like to game on the same system with my X-Fi XtremeMusic, which will have its own set of 5.1 speakers.

Anyone have any experience having both these cards installed in the same system? I figure at worse, if I have to, I can goto windows hardware/driver and temporarily disable one or the other?

Some extra info, running Windows XP home with the latest security patches on a 3.2HT Northy, 875 chipset, and a 6800gt.. Axiom-25 hooked up via USB.. Right now using Project5 and also using Rapture.

Although in the near future, I will be upgrading to a completely new system, probably along the lines of a e6600 on a DS3, with some variant of an 8 series vid card, after the first wave of the masses install and use Vista.. (probably may still leave a windows xp dual boot install anyways). I'm expecting to carry over both 192 and X-Fi over too..

WinXP can handle both cards without any problem.

It's funny because I was just looking to see if the meridian is better than the x-fi platinum w/front panel etc. and this card is $100 more expensive after the mir ($60 mir@ncix), nor does it have the front access panel, any midi cables etc., both cards have dts, 24 bit/192khz, so it's not special by any stretch.
You don't find it special because you don't actually know the features of the card nor do you understand what differentiates it from the X-Fi.

Others may feel otherwise because they do.

UPDATE:

I currently have four soundcards working in XP...so you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Yeah, I currently run two and I am thinking of adding a third. It is very common for people who record music to use multiple cards to give multi I/O as long as the card don't conflict in their IRQ's or memory mappings your good.
@ Phide, Good response...

Back