Make the water in my loop ORANGE

el rolio

2[H]4U
guys. firstly: i DONT HAVE UV lights in my case and i dont plan on putting any there.

so what would i need to get the water in my loop orange. this is in part because im gonna try zerex as my additive this time around instead of the pentosin and i figure it would be easier to turn the water orange (from the pinkish color the zerex mix will give) than back to blue as it is now.

does anyone have suggestions? has anyone done this without UV? any comments or concerns?

thanks!

I'm not sure of my color mixing abilities, but if zerex is pink and you put in some red uv dye... would that make it orangish?

possibly, but there is a great many times UV dye isnt actually the color its supposed to be under normal lighting conditions... for instance, i have some very powerful blue UV dye thats almost clear under normal light.

i mean, i'd try it... but that would require buying a whole bottle of ?which? kind of red uv dye just to test... hmmz

I've botten the xoxide.com and frozencpu.com branded dye and they have always worked great for me :)

oh ok, well awesome i guess... so which one is better? which one is more orangeish?

Isn't there orange anti-freeze out there? I feel pretty sure I've seen some...

Red + yellow food coloring :) Practice first with plain tap water to get the right mixture, as the red will most likely overpower the yellow if you use equal amounts. As long as you don't let the water sit for a couple of weeks (ie use your computer), you shouldn't have a problem with the food coloring condensing on the bottom of your tubing/reservoir.

If you want to use a commercial dye, I found some orange dye here, and there's more elsewhere, I just didn't look at too many sites. That is the only visible orange dye I could find from all the sites I could think of off the top of my head, so you may have to just mix a red & yellow dye (those are much more common, though).

ikellensbro said:
Red + yellow food coloring :) Practice first with plain tap water to get the right mixture, as the red will most likely overpower the yellow if you use equal amounts. As long as you don't let the water sit for a couple of weeks (ie use your computer), you shouldn't have a problem with the food coloring condensing on the bottom of your tubing/reservoir.

If you want to use a commercial dye, I found some orange dye here, and there's more elsewhere, I just didn't look at too many sites. That is the only visible orange dye I could find from all the sites I could think of off the top of my head, so you may have to just mix a red & yellow dye (those are much more common, though).

i love you. best help so far on both forums (no offense to anyone!)

gonna investigate you and you sir stick around please i may have more ???

oh and i wanted to use zerex cuz if im changing coolants ima use the best... the reason im goin orange is cuz its the best thing i can think of to overcome the zerex

There IS an orange anti-freeze. Look for GMC Dex-cool anti-freeze (or the equivalent) I used it in my old truck. Not sure how it'd look cut to W/C ratios, but @ 50/50 af/h20, it was damn orange still.

-Ghent

Im goin to be usin some dexcool type stuff on my newest setup. So i'll let ya kno but it may be a week or two. I work for dodge and our newest stuff its a vibrant orange but our older stuff is a pinkish type.

Avoid food colouring at all costs. Trust me on this, when I had red food colouring in my system, it started leaving a redish coloured algae in my system, it was kind of sick, and I couldn't get rid of it unless I took the whole system apart.

Currently, my loops colour is orange. Very very vibrant orange I might add, no UV lights or anything, but it is UV reactive.

I used a 50/50 mixture of Glycol and Distilled Water.

roflcopter, you GOTTA show me pics man.

for what its worth guys, i planned on using a 5/95 type ratio of zerex/distilled water, which is why i was looking for a suitable dye type thing as opposed to a 50/50 of anything (worrying about the viscosity etc)

i'll take newer pictures of my system when I clean the dust out again, because i'm to tired to do it tonight, and I don't feel like cleaning it up to be presentable, lol.

If you want to use antifreeze, you probably wouldn't need to use Zerex. Anyway, 50/50 is more than you need, 25% antifreeze is more than enough with a ton of aluminum and copper in the same loop. If you don't have that much aluminum in your loop (or are just using it for the color), 10:90 antifreeze:distilled water should give plenty enough color (unless the antifreeze has a really weak color, which probably means it doesn't meet government standards) without hampering your performance much at all (ie 1*C at most).

TehRoflcopter said:
...it started leaving a redish coloured algae in my system, it was kind of sick, and I couldn't get rid of it unless I took the whole system apart.

It's not algae but the solid material that makes up the dyes that separates out of solution.

Back