Mass Effect 3 will require Origin only!

Eh, oh well. I'd be more upset if Bioware made games like they use to.

Honestly, how is this even a surprise anymore? EA publishes a game and makes it exclusive to their store. Shocking.

It's like watching a small fish trying to swim against a strong current...it tries so hard but can't move forward and ultimately fails. Steam is a gorilla and publishers only hurt themselves by not using it.

It's like watching a small fish trying to swim against a strong current...it tries so hard but can't move forward and ultimately fails. Steam is a gorilla and publishers only hurt themselves by not using it.

How's BF3 selling again?

Nice, this means not shelling out $60 to play it :D.

Wonder if Schilling's RPG project is going to meet the same fate. I suddenly have $60 free to allocate elsewhere, and his pet project intrigues me.

Well, this is just another case in which the tech savvy will probably just buy the game (legitimately) and then crack it.

Well this sucks. I wonder what EA's excuse will be this time. Steam still not wanting to allow DLC or something lame like that? Jesus they suck.

Oh well, Ill still be buying this on day 1 so as much as I loathe EA, I wont pass this up. Ill use their stupid ass site then import it to Steam. Only downside is I wont be able to use any of Steams features like screenshots and a game clock. Its a pisser but not a deal breaker.

I'd be surprised if they didn't require Origin. I can wait on this game. No need to jump on $60. If Origin didn't data-mine my machine, I wouldn't really have too much problem getting it under $60 with Origin. I already don't want these DRM clients. What's one more if Origin would tone things down to steam level? I'll wait until EA does something favorable. Right now there are other fun things to play.

Great series though. Maybe I'll get around to it when either EA brings on the Origin data mining opt-in clause or if there is some other means of "patching" it. I just can't support it as is, especially at $60.

I don't mind Origin. For single-player it's download, close and ignore Origin from then on, play. It's not a big deal to me. I'm more worried about the game being good than anything else.

Bioware, I am dissapoint... I already said ages ago in their forums that if this Origin BS becomes mandatory, ME3 will be the last game I ever buy from them and that promise will stand. Its not like Bioware is some kind of one and true god of RPGs that I must follow, they have plenty of competition nowadays. I have ME3 collectors edition preordered already, but thats the end of that. I just have to find a way to go around Origin somehow on this particular game... *sigh* :(

Wish people would get off the Origin sucks bandwagon. Its actually a really good alternative to Steam. And even does somethings Steam doesn't. As for the game. Hated the first 2 no reason for me to get 3.

Well this sucks. I wonder what EA's excuse will be this time. Steam still not wanting to allow DLC or something lame like that? Jesus they suck.

Steam is fine with DLC, but they have a policy now that if a game on steam offers DLC they have to offer it for sale through steam. Steam's policy forces that they have to be made a middle-man in the future. EA wants to sell the DLC directly to the user so that they don't have to give Steam a cut of the profit.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/electronic-arts-confirms-no-steam-for-battlefield-3/

EA isn't the only publisher not on steam.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/minecraft-incompatible-with-steam-dlc-policy/

Wish people would get off the Origin sucks bandwagon. Its actually a really good alternative to Steam. And even does somethings Steam doesn't. As for the game. Hated the first 2 no reason for me to get 3.

Until Origin makes it so that I can even remotely easily move game installs to a different drive, then no, I won't get off the "Origin sucks bandwagon". Because it legitimately does.

There's also the fact that getting rid of the BF3 beta from my library requires modding a text file...why not just let me hide it from the window?

Steam is fine with DLC, but they have a policy now that if a game on steam offers DLC they have to offer it for sale through steam. Steam's policy forces that they have to be made a middle-man in the future. EA wants to sell the DLC directly to the user so that they don't have to give Steam a cut of the profit.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/electronic-arts-confirms-no-steam-for-battlefield-3/

EA isn't the only publisher not on steam.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/minecraft-incompatible-with-steam-dlc-policy/

The one thing I like about that policy is it allows Valve to put DLC on sale. EA has never and will never put the Bioware DLC on sale because it requires buying those fucking retarded point cards that they don't put on sale.

Until Origin makes it so that I can even remotely easily move game installs to a different drive, then no, I won't get off the "Origin sucks bandwagon". Because it legitimately does.

You can tell Origin where you want games downloaded and installed.

You can tell Origin where you want games downloaded and installed.

It won't move already installed games though...so if you're installing a new drive, moving to a new computer, etc it requires moving everything over, changing the install directory in Origin, then going into the registry and game by game changing the directory where the game is stored.

There's also the fact that getting rid of the BF3 beta from my library requires modding a text file...why not just let me hide it from the window?

You can install them where you want? Steam doesn't do this either.

And I have had TF2 beta and cs beta on my steam for years. With no way to remove it. At least Origin lets you hide it.

If you're a Steam user you're a huge hypocrite right now. I'm sure you are because most Origin haters are Big Steam Users.

It won't move already installed games though...so if you're installing a new drive, it requires moving everything over, changing the install directory in Origin, then going into the registry and game by game changing the directory where the game is stored.

True. That is the nice thing about the way Steam installs games. Though I wish it worked better all the time. However it seems like a very minor issue. How often do you install new drives that requires you to change install directories?

Whatever.
I don't have origin. I buy my games on steam (during sales).
I'm not paying the $60-70 for it, and I'm not installing another digital game distribution program just so I can check if it goes on sale sometime.
Therefore, if it never comes to steam, I won't ever buy it.
Their loss.

You can install them where you want? Steam doesn't do this either.

And I have had TF2 beta and cs beta on my steam for years. With no way to remove it. At least Origin lets you hide it.

If you're a Steam user you're a huge hypocrite right now. I'm sure you are because most Origin haters are Big Steam Users.

While in the library tab, next to the search bar click the down arrow. Select "installed". Congratulations. You've hidden all the betas.

In Steam you can move the single Steam folder. Run the Steam.exe. Everything is migrated.

Wanna try again?

True. That is the nice thing about the way Steam installs games. Though I wish it worked better all the time. However it seems like a very minor issue. How often do you install new drives that requires you to change install directories?

I've had to do it three times in the past week. Once on my laptop, then transferring everything to my desktop. Then again when I had to reinstall Windows on my desktop.

While in the library tab, next to the search bar click the down arrow. Select "installed". Congratulations. You've hidden all the betas.
You can do the same thing in Origin.Click show and select "ready to play" from the menu and all uninstalled games are hidden ;).

You can do the same thing in Origin.Click show and select "ready to play" from the menu and all uninstalled games are hidden ;).

Um...*hush mode*

Since when has this been there? Last time I checked the only way to remove it was via the text file?

Um...*hush mode*

Since when has this been there? Last time I checked the only way to remove it was via the text file?
Been there for a long time now, I think it was there at least since BF3 released. Plus just like with Steam, it's not really removing anything it's just hiding it. All of your friends can still see that you own it.

The one thing I like about that policy is it allows Valve to put DLC on sale. EA has never and will never put the Bioware DLC on sale because it requires buying those fucking retarded point cards that they don't put on sale.
This is a good point. The ME2 add-ons have never gone on sale on the PC to my knowledge, despite doing so on consoles.

Regardless, anybody surprised by this news has their head in the sand.

One more sale EA will not be getting. After GFWL became a requirement for so many games I decided that was it, and drew the line there. Steam, Gamespy, and GFWL is all I am willing to put up with. Not installing, or logging on to yet another service to play my games. I am not juggling friends lists, or bothering with yet another user name and password, just not going to do it.

The only reason I hate the exclusivity is because I do not enjoy having 2 different libraries for my games; having them all in one place was ideal with Steam. Other than that, I don't care and will still buy it. I laugh at people who claim they will not buy the game because its only on Origin because either A) they are going to be missing out on a great game or B) are lying just to feel like a rebel and will still buy it in the end.

One more sale EA will not be getting. After GFWL became a requirement for so many games I decided that was it, and drew the line there. Steam, Gamespy, and GFWL is all I am willing to put up with. Not installing, or logging on to yet another service to play my games. I am not juggling friends lists, or bothering with yet another user name and password, just not going to do it.

Why are you willing to put up with Gamespy and GFWL? They're horrible services. Anyway unless you're playing the multiplayer it seems like you won't have to open Origin or log into it to play the game. If you already have an EA account then you don't need to remember anything new.

The only reason I hate the exclusivity is because I do not enjoy having 2 different libraries for my games; having them all in one place was ideal with Steam. Other than that, I don't care and will still buy it. I laugh at people who claim they will not buy the game because its only on Origin because either A) they are going to be missing out on a great game or B) are lying just to feel like a rebel and will still buy it in the end.

It's not ideal its convenient. It's convenient to give Valve a monopoly despite it being bad for gamers in the long run.

Uses less resources then steam, and far less in my face with the stupid store. Personally origin is just fine. I never liked steam and only used it because it was required for many games.
I love BF3 and will enjoy ME3. All you haters who havent even tried it, well, enjoy not playing.

It's not ideal its convenient. It's convenient to give Valve a monopoly despite it being bad for gamers in the long run.

There were other digital download distributors than Steam before Origin such as Direct2Drive and Amazon Digital Download. Origin is just more similar to Steam's interface. Even though Valve had a "monopoly" per se, it wasn't really hurting gamers since Steam provided numerous games at massive discounts all the time (especially the Summer and Winter sales) that beat the prices of most retailers bar none.

Why are you willing to put up with Gamespy and GFWL? They're horrible services. Anyway unless you're playing the multiplayer it seems like you won't have to open Origin or log into it to play the game. If you already have an EA account then you don't need to remember anything new.

Because I already have them. I let that shit creep up on me, and games I already have and play require them. After a bit of a nightmare with GFWL, I decided I was done with new services.

While I will admit to having a general distrust of EA, and having a great deal of annoyance over EA using the Origin name, (a dev they bought, raped, then discarded in a ditch), I am not claiming MS, Valve or Gamespy are some moral or technical high ground. I don't even hold it against EA. Valve is printing money, and EA wants in on that action. Perfectly understandable. It is why they tried to buy Valve a while back. I am simply saying, that I do not want a dozen different services just to play games, I don't want multiple friend lists, or yet another password and username to remember. I fear that more publishers will follow EA and start their own DD services, and of course that service will be required to play the games they own. So Origin is a no go. There are literally hundreds of games released each year that only require the services I already have. While I might have liked BF3, and I know I would have likely liked ME3, I am not going to miss them much. Not buying, and giving a shout out on the forums here and there as to why I am not buying is the only power I really have in this situation.

As to the monopoly. I am actually cool with that so long as Valve does not get stupid and abuse it. Steam is kind of like Windows to me.

As to the monopoly. I am actually cool with that so long as Valve does not get stupid and abuse it. Steam is kind of like Windows to me.

Of course Valve will abuse it. They're already going down that road with their DLC policy. I don't blame them for that policy, but it puts restrictions on what developers can do with their games. At least it's not Microsoft level of stupidity.

Is EA not a gorilla? The real question is will steam be able to sustain it's business in the long run when bigger fish jump in the water. IMO the only way valve will succeed is if they become a publisher and buy exclusive games.

Back