Mechanical Keyboard Guide

That would be a custom job. I don't know why you'd need that. Just remap the alt-function or whatever function the alt key is serving to another key which is more comfortable.

^^ That's the easier answer. ;)

So can someone explain the difference/reasons between getting ABS and PBT keycaps? I can appreciate where different key switches produce a different feel/response, but using different plastic in the keycaps?

So can someone explain the difference/reasons between getting ABS and PBT keycaps? I can appreciate where different key switches produce a different feel/response, but using different plastic in the keycaps?

They key caps do make a difference. The caps used on the Das and Filco keyboards for example are an example of higher quality caps. The Razer Black Widow on the other hand feels very different than Das and Filco keyboards using the same switches.

PBT and POM keycaps are supposedly a bit more durable. I wouldn't worry about that too much. The quality of lettering is more important imo.

PBT and POM keycaps are supposedly a bit more durable. I wouldn't worry about that too much. The quality of lettering is more important imo.

I thought that PBT keys were less durable though? I can't dig up the thread but I read here (or on geekhack) that people were getting those Poker keyboards with PBT keycaps and that the texture was wearing off within a few months?

I thought that PBT keys were less durable though? I can't dig up the thread but I read here (or on geekhack) that people were getting those Poker keyboards with PBT keycaps and that the texture was wearing off within a few months?

Yeah, thats just the shitty inkfill on the Ducky and KBC pbt inkfilled keycaps.

Yeah, thats just the shitty inkfill on the Ducky and KBC pbt inkfilled keycaps.

My Poker PBTs wore off in less than two weeks playing BC2.
I was sketchy on buying a WASD at first, so I bought the Poker, big mistake.

Took it as a loss and ever since I received my WASD, I've regretted buying the Poker.
Also, the QC is poor. The stabilizer holders pop out of the PCB to often when pulling caps. Almost destroyed one, lucky it popped back in.

I must say, my KB ROSEWILL RK-9000 came in on Monday, and I'm really loving the cherry blues. The sound is so satisfying. I'm definitely new to mechanical, and this is my first, but on sale I'm definitely glad I jumped on it

My Filco arrived today. This keyboard is awesome and the noise of the cherry blue switches doesn't bother me at all. Love the extra space without the numpad but I keep reaching over and pushing the right arrow thinking its the enter key on occasions.

ZsPIF.jpg

vg6vK.jpg

XgGNv.jpg

Love the extra space without the numpad but I keep reaching over and pushing the right arrow thinking its the enter key on occasions.

Totally doing the same thing as you (see below).

Got my Leopold tenkeyless with MX Browns in yesterday. I have to admit it's not at all what I was expecting, and initially I was a little disappointed. I am not referring to the quality of the keyboard (which is excellent) but rather the key feel. These are incredibly light compared to my old (presumably rubber dome) keyboard and the "tactile response" bump is incredibly subtle. It's NOTHING like the mechanical keyboard memories I have back in the day using the IBM model M.

I know that new things like this take time, so I'm reserving final judgement until I have time to get accustomed to it. But do you guys actually consciously feel the "bump" just before activation on this keyboard when typing at speed? In my initial trials, I could barely notice the tactile response bump, even if I was consciously trying to feel for it. I tried some speed typing and ended up sort of just pressing each key a little ways down, assuming it would be far enough- because I couldn't reliably feel the actuation bump. I almost wonder if I would have been more satisfied with blues, which presumably have a more distinct spike in resistance at the activation point.

Although I will say that even after 1 day I think I bottom out less than I did at first type, as I slowly become used to the keyboard.

Other aspects: I didn't realize how disorienting a tenkeyless can be. My fingers can't find the right keys when gaming, because I'm used to pressing keys based on a fullsize keyboard. Particularly in those times when I lift my right hand off the mouse to hit a key on the right side of the KB like pgup/pgdn, etc. I'll need to recalibrate my thinking to account for the fact that those keys are now on the very left edge of the KB, and not a little ways in. And I instinctively reach for the numberpad any time I need to enter in digits (like SC2 security code) because I type SO much faster on the numberpad. It's not a dealbreaker because I rarely enter numbers on this PC but it was weird to realize just how ingrained having the numpad is to me. However, the size is just right for my keyboard tray/desk, which I'm happy about. But if I do go for a mechanical keyboard on my other computers, I'll likely get a fullsize for the numberpad.

Regarding NKRO- I plugged my computer in via USB and noticed that I had really high KRO in USB mode? I thought it was only supposed to be 6+modifiers, but I could press any 10 keys on the keyboard (ran out of fingers) simultaneously and get response from each. Did something change or what's the deal with that? Not that I'm complaining, just looking to understand. Is this no longer a real issue on modern high quality keyboards or something?

The texture of the surface is pretty good, although I can distinctly feel the lasered-in infill of the labels on the keys. A little strange since I'm used to smoother key labels. I hear this gets worn down over time though so we'll see how that goes.

Also thinking of doing the O-ring mod, to see if I can dampen the key travel/bottoming out sound some. Does it make the keyboard feel mushy though?

I tried moving to mechanical but so far the one I tried, the keys just feel way too wobbly.

Are mechanical keys always going to feel more wobbly than membrane keys?

Last edited:
Hey everyone I was looking into getting my first mechanical keyboard, I currently am using a g15, but I'd love something more compact.

Is there any good mechanical keyboards that stack the esc & F1-12 keys on top of the number keys so there is no space? IMO this would be a more efficient layout. Basically looked for a full size keys but compact design without spaces, no numpad would be a plus as well.

Hey everyone I was looking into getting my first mechanical keyboard, I currently am using a g15, but I'd love something more compact.

Is there any good mechanical keyboards that stack the esc & F1-12 keys on top of the number keys so there is no space? IMO this would be a more efficient layout. Basically looked for a full size keys but compact design without spaces, no numpad would be a plus as well.

Maybe noppoo choc mini

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:13825

"The Razer BlackWidow uses tactile and clicky Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches"

I thought the keys on the blackwidow were way too wobbly. Are there switches that are less wobbly than those?

I guess I'm stuck waiting for the next sidewinder to get off my microsoft multimedia

I wish some brick and mortars would have some mechanicals on display.

EDIT- I duno I think there's more to the wobblyness than just the switches. I think the Razer brand just sucks in general because they use the same crappy plastic in every product. This gives me hope for the k60 because I really like the layout: "The comfortable yet rugged design is ideal for single player or LAN party gaming and provides increased durability and stability when compared those that are primarily plastic. The stiff suspension chassis and the laser etched keys are made for durability so they won’t degrade over time."

Another problem with the blackwidow was the WASD keys were CRAMPED. I hope the k60 doesn't have that problem. Also... what's the deal with the different pictures of the k60, does it have a shortened left shift or not?

Last edited:
"The Razer BlackWidow uses tactile and clicky Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches"

I thought the keys on the blackwidow were way too wobbly. Are there switches that are less wobbly than those?

I guess I'm stuck waiting for the next sidewinder to get off my microsoft multimedia

I wish some brick and mortars would have some mechanicals on display.

I've got a Das Ultimate (which I'm getting rid of because I suck at using blank keyboards and it got a little banged up last summer getting shipped across the country), which also has blues, and they're nowhere near as wobbly as the ones on my friend's BlackWidow. Seriously, I've got no clue what's going on with those switches. They feel worse than this rubber dome keyboard.

Last edited:
Interesting, I think I'm going to chalk it up to Razer sucks then and get a k60 on release. I do like Razer's chords and software but the build quality on the meat of their products is just terrible in my experience. I also felt the blackwidow was a bit too loud which apparently is because it uses blues so I'm getting my hopes up now for the k60.

Been looking at mechanicals for a little while but have no way of testing the different types of switches before buying.
Would be good if someone offered a cheap little 5 key test pad with each different switch type, say for between $5 - $10, then people could get a feel for the switch type they like.
Anyone else been thinking this? (inb4 walk to store - 90% of mechs ppl buy on here are only available online)

Been looking at mechanicals for a little while but have no way of testing the different types of switches before buying.
Would be good if someone offered a cheap little 5 key test pad with each different switch type, say for between $5 - $10, then people could get a feel for the switch type they like.
Anyone else been thinking this? (inb4 walk to store - 90% of mechs ppl buy on here are only available online)

Yep it's pretty much a nightmare scenario right now.

Interesting idea. Does anyone make a mechanical discrete number pad? And can you buy the switches themselves somewhere? I think it would not be that hard to solder one up with the right parts.

It's too bad these mechanicals supposedly last forever- probably nobody has an old broken one laying around we could cannibalize :)

We seriously need to have mechanical get togethers. Everybody meet up and bring your keyboards. I live in OC CA.

Elitekeyboards has those skull keys back in stock. Got the email, right away I went and ordered the colored one. Been waiting for it for a while.

By the time I had entered my CC info, it already went out of stock. Fail. Got a plain black one instead. :)

Interesting idea. Does anyone make a mechanical discrete number pad? And can you buy the switches themselves somewhere? I think it would not be that hard to solder one up with the right parts.

It's too bad these mechanicals supposedly last forever- probably nobody has an old broken one laying around we could cannibalize :)

Geekhack Forum group buys have switch only sales from time to time. Very expensive. $1-3 per switch.
Elitekeyboards.com sell numpad only mechanical. Still expensive.

You can probably find a cheap numpad off Geekhack or ebay.

Looks like they are available, and not that outrageous. According to geekhack, there is a no-name brand one for $15 on ebay, with Cherry blacks. Goldforce numeric keypad on amazon is $25 (MX browns). That's cheap enough: the problem would be getting a few samples of every switch type to put together. Does anyone around here have some spare switches they'd be willing to donate?

Looks like both geekhack and deskthority have made a similar construct in the past, a "cherry MX key sampler"

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?19687-Cherry-Numpad-Switch-Tester

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=780

But I think this would be cool to have on [H]

Looks like they are available, and not that outrageous. According to geekhack, there is a no-name brand one for $15 on ebay, with Cherry blacks. Goldforce numeric keypad on amazon is $25 (MX browns). That's cheap enough: the problem would be getting a few samples of every switch type to put together. Does anyone around here have some spare switches they'd be willing to donate?

Looks like both geekhack and deskthority have made a similar construct in the past, a "cherry MX key sampler"

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?19687-Cherry-Numpad-Switch-Tester

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=780

But I think this would be cool to have on [H]

Good idea. Maybe if people will responsible enough, the original owner can be paid for his work and shipping to various people to test it out. A some point it can be passed around, but still rewarding the owner.
Whom ever puts in the work will get the spotlight. Must have every MX switch. A Torpe switch will be an awesome addition also.

I'd be willing to buy the numpad and do the solder work but sourcing samples of the various switch types is something I'd appreciate some help on.

Getting stuff like topres would be great but I don't think it is feasible to do so at least not without great cost (more than I am willing to front) unless someone happens to have a topre lying around and is willing to donate it. I think it would be good to at least just start with a numpad with the various MX flavors: black, blue, red, brown, clear (if possible). I think this would be sufficient as a start since most of the easily obtainable mechanical KBs use these switches.

Good idea. Maybe if people will responsible enough, the original owner can be paid for his work and shipping to various people to test it out. A some point it can be passed around, but still rewarding the owner.
Whom ever puts in the work will get the spotlight. Must have every MX switch. A Torpe switch will be an awesome addition also.

I like this idea. A lot.

I would be more than willing to donate $10-15 to whoever can do this, just to get the ball rolling.

Any wireless mech keyboards out there? I don't understand why they are so rare (or simply nonexistent)...

Any wireless mech keyboards out there? I don't understand why they are so rare (or simply nonexistent)...

The purpose of this would be to walk around the house pissing everyone off while you type your essay?

Looks like I might be able to move ahead with the "MX switch sampler". It looks like I will be able to get some black, brown, red switches from sources on geekhack. Blues should come in the number pad I intend to buy, and I can probably find a source online for clears.

Looks like I might be able to move ahead with the "MX switch sampler". It looks like I will be able to get some black, brown, red switches from sources on geekhack. Blues should come in the number pad I intend to buy, and I can probably find a source online for clears.

Sounds great, I'll post it in the OP when you're done.
Many people will be interested in this.

I found myself at a BestBuy a couple days ago and I came across a Razer BW with MX blues. The arrow keys were exposed through the packaging so I could test the feel out- I can definitely see where the blues are considered their favorites by many typists. The feel is a LOT closer to the old mechanicals that I remember.

The MX browns are supposed to be just a quieter/lighter version of the blue, but really there is a huge difference. IMO the tactile feedback from the "click" of the blues is MUCH more distinct than the browns.

Azio is coming out w/ a big busy mechanical keyboard using cherry blacks. I'm looking forward to grabbing one and playing around with it soon

Just picked up my first mechanical "gaming" keyboard tonight at Best Buy, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate. I am totally in love. I've been a keyboard/mouse snob for so long, my collection is rediculous. But this is my first mechanical. On the rack I have a G13, G15, G19, G510. I'm looking to pick up a Razer Mamba 2012 tomorrow to see what they have to offer on the gaming mouse front.

why does the razer blackwidow ultimate get such crappy reviews? i want to pick one up, but the reviews scare me away

Back