Memory Prices To Drop Next Month?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to anonymous industry insiders, you can expect a price drop on memory next month, just in time for the holidays. Wouldn’t that be nice? Keep your fingers crossed that this is one rumor that turns out to be true.

The makers have also speculated that Korea-based chipmakers who have already turned profitability are likely to take advantage of their cost competitiveness and slash prices to boost shipments.

C'mon. Daddy needs more RAM to go with his newest desktop build, and maybe even upgrade his mobile machines.

About this time last year, I bought 4GB (2 x 2) of GSkill DDR2 (800) for 33 bucks from Newegg. Wake me up when it gets back down to that level. I think the same memory is going for around $90 now.

About this time last year, I bought 4GB (2 x 2) of GSkill DDR2 (800) for 33 bucks from Newegg. Wake me up when it gets back down to that level. I think the same memory is going for around $90 now.

Yep. It sucks when ram for your pc costs more than the motherboard or cpu.

You mean that the price will go back to where it was before? You know what, I just sold a triple channel kit as used but still managed to make a profit from it.

I hope this turns out to be true. I got a 4gb kit in my machine that's acting flaky.

Been wanting to score an 8Gig kit 2x4GB
Even just one 4GB stick would be nice......

Sorry to bump an older thread but wanted to comment on this now that christmas has arrived.

It seems memory prices have gone up --> way up, not dropped.

3GB DDR3 ECC UN-Buffered was $99.00 in October but now is $182.00.

Almost doubled in prices in just a few months.

:(

I knew I should have stocked up on 4GB kits of DDR2 and DDR3.

Sorry to bump an older thread but wanted to comment on this now that christmas has arrived.

It seems memory prices have gone up --> way up, not dropped.

3GB DDR3 ECC UN-Buffered was $99.00 in October but now is $182.00.

Almost doubled in prices in just a few months.

Yes from earlier.. maybe it was October... stuff 2-3x went up. But not mid-late Nov when the article was released :p I price up builds practically daily and the prices have gone down.. a smudge.. like $20-$30 at best LOL. But they're definitely not up from time of the article.

We all knew they were going to go up. I mean, one of the major makers went out of business, if I remember, but I never thought it would go up so quickly and as much as it did. The price hikes were ridiculous. I remember black friday sales in the past where I got sets of 4GB for as low as $20-25 after rebate. Often sets were $45 without a rebate on sales. I have the Newegg sales history to prove it. I was shocked when I went online to piece together some upgrades for a friend and the cheapest decent DDR2 4GB kit was $90 with no rebate to make it cheaper.

I think $50 for 4GB is quite reasonable. I don't expect the crazy low $20 after rebate prices, but $50 for a kit would be very doable and reasonable. Right now with memory at current prices, buying a pre-built system looks a lot more appealing. Best buy had a system with the E5300 dual core, 6GB of RAM, 640GB hard drive, HDMI out, tons of USB ports, an all-in-one printer, and a 23" monitor for like $570 or something to that effect. With current prices of RAM it would be very hard to build that same system for close to that price right now, even if you don't get the almost useless printer that comes with it.

Kinda wish I built a new machine months ago when the same exact hardware was cheaper than it is today. Now I waiting until prices go back down for RAM, flash, and Radeon 58xx cards. Good thing I'm not in a hurry since I don't know how long that will take.

aww wtf I just bought some ram....everytime I buy shit the price drops afterward

Back