Microsoft Giving Away Free Xbox Consoles

So they're giving long-time subscribers, who by definition already have an Xbox 360, a free Xbox 360. Ummm, why?

It'd make more sense to give them a free game or a free year of Live access or something.

No doubt those old timers are on their 12th Xbox. the POS only last a year before RROD.

And how much have they paid in fees, jeez, I'll never buy a microsoft console again.

Totally false. Sure they had a high failure rate but that doesn't mean someone would have gone through Dozens. Bought mine first week gave it to a friend when I got a slim early last year. Now 7 years old it is still working. Brother in Law has a first or second gen from Nov, 2006, still working. Sure my brother and my boss have had RROD's. But its not like even those two went through much more then that. It was a big issue but it was supported well by Microsoft and is just waaay over played by people.

I think thats a pretty cool gift to get for free. How many did they give out?

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that comments here from those who are, or might be, eligible are positive and those who aren't are the ones whining and complaining about it?

Actually quite a few companies I have done business with for years. Sorry, I am just very anti Xbox Live, I hate that my Xbox is effectively neutered without a gold sub and refuse to pay for features that are free on my PS3.

It doesn't matter if the same service is free on the PS3, think of Xbox Live as an exclusive club. I was gold for the first 7 years but have gone down to silver now because I never play online. I think it is dumb that they are milking you for gold to play Netflix or HBO Go but luckily I have a blu ray player that can do it all for free.

My only real beef with Xbox Live is that paid subscribers get all the ads. Paid subscribers should not get any ads.

I have been playing since beta too. However I let my subscription expire and started it again with a free month that came with a game and created a new gamertag. I've been using the same gamertag for 8 years. If I knew that Xbox Live was going to become I never would have let it lapse for 2 months and start a new gamertag. Oh well.

I've gone through a couple accounts, myself. Doubt they hook us up.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that comments here from those who are, or might be, eligible are positive and those who aren't are the ones whining and complaining about it?

Either that, or they are strict PC gamers... :)

I think it's awesome they are giving those away. Just a surprise free Xbox. Give/sell/auction the old one and keep the new one. Definitely a rare item.

Totally false. Sure they had a high failure rate but that doesn't mean someone would have gone through Dozens. Bought mine first week gave it to a friend when I got a slim early last year. Now 7 years old it is still working. Brother in Law has a first or second gen from Nov, 2006, still working. Sure my brother and my boss have had RROD's. But its not like even those two went through much more then that. It was a big issue but it was supported well by Microsoft and is just waaay over played by people.

My wife and I have our own xboxes, and we've only had a minor issue with the 1. My wife's xbox (our first one) had problems with the disc tray not ejecting, so we replaced it with a slim version. Turned out that worked fine when set down horizontally, so we traded it in as a fully working Xbox 360. It was getting a bit old, so we weren't sure if we were going to run into other worn parts problems, so we felt like trading it in was the best choice.

We each have our own Xbox live accounts, but we've only had them since 2009 or so. If you wait for the best time, you can get a good deal on it, like a free retail boxed game or a significant discount on the subscription. Even at full price, I find the networking and onlien capabilities to be much more stable and reliable than what was seen on the PS3 (for example, at lauch Borderlands had a whole host of issues with the friends list on the PS3 version), and we just prefered the features and games offered on it. Like the DLC for Skyrim, Minecraft and so on.

I'm not getting a reward Xbox and I'm definitely not complaining.

Sucks for me (but not really): when the 360 came out I had to make a new account, am a Live subscriber since day 1.

So they're giving long-time subscribers, who by definition already have an Xbox 360, a free Xbox 360. Ummm, why?

It'd make more sense to give them a free game or a free year of Live access or something.

Well I'm a day 1 subscriber with a Zero Hour unit, so hell yes I'd like a new Xbox. One of the best gifts you can give a person is one they want, but never buy themselves.. like a new Xbox, a hooker, etc.

Isn't this kind of redundant? It would be more beneficial I'd think, to give them out to Wii or PS3 users.

Sure is a lot of hate round these parts.

They are not giving a retail xbox away.

This is a custom, limited edition console, which is certainly worth a heck of a lot more.

I expect a few of these to pop up on ebay.

Please find me any sort of promotion that Sony or Nintendo did like this. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Xbox live gold is $35 a YEAR....... Most of you spend more on coffee than this.

If there were 3 coffee shops. The MS one, the Sony one, and the PC one. All the coffee was free, except the MS one. Where do you think I'd be going for me coffee?

Ahhh....if only there were free coffee. There's plenty of free online multiplayer and other online content elsewhere. So tell me, where is the value in paying $35 a year for it?

I'm on my 4th Xbox 360 (2 broken, 2 work). MS essentially rammed it in my ass. Didn't get a single free replacement. MS Japan wouldn't replace my 360. MS US wouldn't replace my 360. I barely use my 360s now, since almost everything is multiplat.

My launch Japanese PS3 and my launch US PS3 are working great.

Also how is it overplayed? You lost your console for weeks, til you could get a new replacement. Also, guess what happens with your XBLwhile you wait? Absolutely shit. You end up paying for something you aren't even using, cause the piece of shit hardware broke on you.

RRODs weren't even the only problems. How about when it'd scratch your discs? Guess what MS would tell you, when you ask to get your discs replaced. No, they didn't tell you to fuck off. That'd just be stupid. Instead they said "give me $20". How about the "brick my 360 update" that MS release? The other update that'd kill your audio. The video scaler chip breaking. There were so many more issues than just the RROD and these were happening throughout the course of the Xbox 360's life, til the Slim replacement.

Also yes, people have gone through a dozen or more. You're talking around a 30% failure rate and even independent testers were finding 60 out of 100 Xboxes were defective (in their test batch at least).

I'd probably have gone through a lot more 360s, if it weren't for the fact that I decided to void the warranty and put bandaid fixes on my consoles. I watercooled one, but damn thing still died on me. The other one I used high temp epoxy along the edges of the procs, new thermal paste, new mounting for the heatsinks, and new fans. Even then, I still fear that it'll die on me, so I minimize my usage to games that are only available on the 360. Which isn't much anymore. I'm working on moving the console to a PC case and using much larger heatsinks. Cheaper to do that than buy a new 360.

If there were 3 coffee shops. The MS one, the Sony one, and the PC one. All the coffee was free, except the MS one. Where do you think I'd be going for me coffee?

Ahhh....if only there were free coffee. There's plenty of free online multiplayer and other online content elsewhere. So tell me, where is the value in paying $35 a year for it?

It really depends on the coffee. I'd rather pay a little for good coffee then get crap coffee for free.

It really depends on the coffee. I'd rather pay a little for good coffee then get crap coffee for free.

What if you had to pay for crap coffee in a cafe filled with screaming 12 year olds or could go next door and drink the same/better coffee but you couldn't talk to 12 year olds? :p

I mostly play on PC. That's like, the best coffee ever. All while being free.

I don't drink coffee, unless the beans were eaten by an elephant, pooped out, then roasted. Mmmmmmmmmm

I just checked my account. Though I have been a member since Beta, and I can't remember ever changing my gamertag. It says I have only been a member for 7 years. I must have had some sort of lapse between the Original Xbox and 360... Maybe I did change my gamertag... Oh well.

lets see, if they got the good deals it will be like 3 dollars per month.

3 x 12 = 36 * 10 = 360 - 200 = 160

so if they get a free xbox and they did all the great deals before they only paid 160 for 10 years.

that isnt bad.

Not for me. My first xbox RROD inside the warranty, microsoft refused to honour it when I filled in the online form, they said it was outside of three years. It was a gift and it RROD inside of two years, but I didn't have the receipt because it was a gift. Second one I bought used and that RROD on me after 12 months.

Fuck Microsoft, In the meantime my PS2 is still going strong, I'll only ever buy Playstation.

Also each time xbox rrod I'd just bought Gold, so that's another $100 thrown away.

I'm on my 4th Xbox 360 (2 broken, 2 work). MS essentially rammed it in my ass. Didn't get a single free replacement. MS Japan wouldn't replace my 360. MS US wouldn't replace my 360. I barely use my 360s now, since almost everything is multiplat.

My launch Japanese PS3 and my launch US PS3 are working great.

Also how is it overplayed? You lost your console for weeks, til you could get a new replacement. Also, guess what happens with your XBLwhile you wait? Absolutely shit. You end up paying for something you aren't even using, cause the piece of shit hardware broke on you.

RRODs weren't even the only problems. How about when it'd scratch your discs? Guess what MS would tell you, when you ask to get your discs replaced. No, they didn't tell you to fuck off. That'd just be stupid. Instead they said "give me $20". How about the "brick my 360 update" that MS release? The other update that'd kill your audio. The video scaler chip breaking. There were so many more issues than just the RROD and these were happening throughout the course of the Xbox 360's life, til the Slim replacement.

Also yes, people have gone through a dozen or more. You're talking around a 30% failure rate and even independent testers were finding 60 out of 100 Xboxes were defective (in their test batch at least).

I'd probably have gone through a lot more 360s, if it weren't for the fact that I decided to void the warranty and put bandaid fixes on my consoles. I watercooled one, but damn thing still died on me. The other one I used high temp epoxy along the edges of the procs, new thermal paste, new mounting for the heatsinks, and new fans. Even then, I still fear that it'll die on me, so I minimize my usage to games that are only available on the 360. Which isn't much anymore. I'm working on moving the console to a PC case and using much larger heatsinks. Cheaper to do that than buy a new 360.

Exactly, there's a lot of hate because it's deserved. Once it's happened to you you understand. Microsoft can essentially suck it.

Did anyone else get a really crappy looking helmet as thanks?
FYI you are not automatically entered into the drawing.

WTF are you suppose to do with a helmet? Wear it when gaming on XBL? So the sound of 12 year olds is muffled.

Back