Mini P180 build questions/ideas

pc299

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been contemplating about rebuilding my main box: www.commie.cn/boxes/Main.htm and my SFF: www.commie.cn/boxes/MiniMe.htm once i7 stuff is a little more mature, but was thinking with the DFI Lanparty JR mATX X58 board coming out that I may be able to combine both boxes into one and save money/space that way. This is what I'm thinking for a preliminary build:

Antec Mini P180
DFI Lanparty JR X58 Board
OCZ/Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 Kit
GTX 280 SLI
Corsair HX1000W PSU
Intel i7 920 most likely
TRUE w/ 1366 adaptor
Scythe S-Flex fans
2-4 high performance SSD's (Intel XM-25E or OCZ Vertex?)
Adaptec 5805 PCI-e SAS Controller
PCI-e ribbon based riser (connect the Adaptec to the spare PCI-e 4x slot, but mount the card elsewhere due to dual slot 280 heatsinks)
4 2.5" 250GB 5400RPM SATA drives
SATA DVDRW, etc

I know from doing research that I shouldn't have any issues mounting a TRUE in the case, but has anyone tried putting a HX1000W in a Mini P180?

anyone have any other suggestions/comments/ideas for the build? I want it small and portable but still extremely fast.

I own the Mini P180 and absolutely love it! It isn't a "true" SFF, because it has a pretty large footprint. Regardless it still is compact and has phenomenal cooling.

You should be able to fit the 1000w PSU and 2 x GTX 280s with no problems at all. I've got a Corsair 620 in mine. You'll have to remove the lower HD cage in order to fit the 280s, but can still have a 120mm fan installed there. The top HD cage can hold 3 HDs very comfortably. All the HDs are attached via screws, but have some nice rubber mounts to help with vibration.There is also room for 3x 5.25" drives. My DVD drive is at the top and I have a fan controller in one of the bottom slots. You could stick another HD in one of the 5.25" bays if needed.

This won't be the most portable rig though. The case itself is pretty darn heavy ;).

I'm not sure what TRUE is sorry.

You'll love this case though. It's been the best purchase I've made in years!

Thanks for the input... the more I think about it, I really can't part with my SFF system... the SG03 is just so damn perfect for what I need it for. TRUE = Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme FYI.

I already have a Mini P180 on the way from someone here, but I have a friend who wanted one too, so I'll probably just sell it to him.

I may continue this project and try to cram everything into my SG03. The only issue will be waiting on Silverstone to make a NT06-LITE that works with LGA1366

Yeah the SG03 is a mighty fine case. I almost nabbed it for this build, but wanted something with more room. I was coming from an SG01E.

I don't know if I could live with a SG03 for my main system, but it's a hell of a setup for taking to lanparties and such.

to get the corsair 1000 in there you will have to take out the lower dust filter and instal it from outside the case.. no problems there.. i also own a mini p180 and can say it has amazing cooling, more than enough room fr whatever kind of video cards you can fit on a mATX board. if you do combine both systems the mini is the way to go

Back