Missing motion sensor driver

Hey guys,

I just formatted a 12" 1.33Ghz iBook G4 with a backup of my old 800MHz... I already copied the Scrolling Trackpad driver from the stock install image to get that working.

Now, however, I am trying to get the Apple System Profiler to show that Sudden Motion Sensor is supported on the hard drive, and I can't seem to find any files that make it work. Also utilities like AMSTracker report errors in trying to gather data from the SMS.

Any ideas where I might look for the SMS driver? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure SMS is technology built into the drive that is independant of the OS and doesn't require drivers.

This is true... when I run pmset -g, "sms" does indeed show up with a status of 1 (meaning it is enabled and will park the drive on a sudden gravity change).

However, if you take a look at this page:

http://www.kernelthread.com/software/ams/

They say that the value "ams" should also be present in pmset -g. Furthermore, none of the softwares on that page (AMSTracker, etc) are able to communicate with my motion sensor subsystem.

It is doing what it is designed to do, but I think I am missing a layer of software that allows the OS to communicate with it as well.

Boomer:~/Desktop$ ./amstracker
AMS hardware present and initialized
failed to retrieve data from motion sensor hardware

and in the console messages:
AMSC::getTargetAndMethodForIndex FUNCTION DOES NOT EXIST - index = 24

miazmaticdotcom said:
I just formatted a 12" 1.33Ghz iBook G4 with a backup of my old 800MHz...
WHY!?

You're only going to make more work for yourself. Format it with the 1.33's restore discs and copy your data over. I bet it owuld save more time than recovering from an old backup that was made for an older machine.

I did swap in the drivers from the new one before I formatted, which did save me from having to bung the trackpad driver from somewhere.

Back