Mobo power plugs

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
So I started installing my new motherboard today, and I encountered a little problem when I went to plug everything in. All the motherboard I've used until now have a 20 pin connector, and a 4 pin connector above the processor. However, this motherboard has a 24 pin connector (workable, my psu has the spare connector to snap on to the 20pin) but the connector about the cpu is an 8 pin connector. My psu only had 1 4 pin connector left, and no 8 pin. The motherboard "map" so to speak, was also not very clear on if all 8 had to be plugged in, and the circumstances of which they need to be plugged in. Is this common on motherboards? I've only used AMD up to this point, while this is an Intel motherboard, so I'm not as familiar. Do I need to go buy a new power supply? Granted, I will probably have to do this anyway if any of the top 8 need to be plugged in as the cables on my modstream are about 8 inches too short, but I figured I'd check before I dropped another $120 on a new psu. (On a side note, anyonw know if you can buy motherboard plug extension cables?)

Check your manual, some MBs with the 8 pin connector show you where to plug in a 4pin if thats all you have.

Helps if you tell us what motherboard.

I have counted both 20-to-24 pin and 4-to-8 pin issues while I was upgrading my setup recently.
A certain motherboard manufacture allow user to use 4-pin on 8-pin connector on mobo, but there is exception too. I'd rather contact the company tech line to double check since they should be the first and most reliable source, theoretically..
Here is the adapter you may use, but I rather talk to the tech person first, to make sure it.
[http://store.pchcables.com/atx4pinto8pi.html]

20-to-24 pin adapter works just fine for me...

I did some digging and was able to find an online explanation of which to plugin if you don't have an 8 pin. Will there be any performance difference with using a 4 over an 8?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188012 is the motherboard I'm using.

I've found extensions for the 20/24 pin connector, but I have yet to find any for the 4 pin. I'm going to /wrists if I have to buy a new psu for 6 inches on 1 cable.

Soldering iron is like $8 and comes with solder. Heatshrink another $2.00 $4.00 for good wire.

Just cut the existing wires and splice in some nice 16 guage wire. Do a nice job (find wire the same color) and no one would ever notice. Plus you learn a new skill. 10 min practice with scrap wire and you can do it like a pro. If you are not very carefull you might learn something :eek:

Soldering iron is like $8 and comes with solder. Heatshrink another $2.00 $4.00 for good wire.

Just cut the existing wires and splice in some nice 16 guage wire. Do a nice job (find wire the same color) and no one would ever notice. Plus you learn a new skill. 10 min practice with scrap wire and you can do it like a pro. If you are not very carefull you might learn something :eek:

Doing the exact thing atm. My dad is helping me solder and we're using the wire from a spare molex extension in order to get a match on the same type of wire.

Doing the exact thing atm. My dad is helping me solder and we're using the wire from a spare molex extension in order to get a match on the same type of wire.

OUT-standing ! Us old farts good for a thing or two not just cash and the car keys.

Back