Mobo to OC my Q6600 with my DDR667?

misterj

n00b
Hi all, been searching with no luck, but I'm sure some knowledgeable people here have the answer to my question.

I currently have a pin-modded E4300 with a Foxconn G9657MA (FSB 1066 is the highest for that board), with 4 sticks of 1GB DDR667 (the cheapo Super Talent stuff from eWiz).

I'm getting a Q6600 and was going to just put it in the Foxconn, but I figure if I have to go thru the effort of replacing the CPU.... might as well consider swapping the mobo and overclocking!

My question, is there a micro ATX board that would let me OC to 3GHz with the RAM I already have? I'm guessing the main candidate for me is the P5K-VM?

I might just stick with the board I have now, but I'd like to hear some of your ideas!

Thanks for any advice!

The Asus P5K-VM has the all-important 1:1 memory ratio. This allows you to run your system bus at 333MHz. Your processor is 9x, so that would make it 3.0GHz, and your ram is DDR, so that would give you 667.

The Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R doesn't have that 1:1 ratio (for that bus speed) so unless you want to tinker with its BIOS or overclocking your RAM, it's probably not the best choice.

The Asus P5K-VM has the all-important 1:1 memory ratio. This allows you to run your system bus at 333MHz. Your processor is 9x, so that would make it 3.0GHz, and your ram is DDR, so that would give you 667.

The Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R doesn't have that 1:1 ratio (for that bus speed) so unless you want to tinker with its BIOS or overclocking your RAM, it's probably not the best choice.

you sure about that, check on f4a bios with 1066 fsb chips.

my http box running e6420 w/ ga-g33m + 2g g.skill HZ 1:1 @ 3.2 is a perfect example.

you sure about that, check on f4a bios with 1066 fsb chips.

my http box running e6420 w/ ga-g33m + 2g g.skill HZ 1:1 @ 3.2 is a perfect example.

That's just it. You need a specific version of the BIOS. And I think I read somewhere on this board that the feature was pulled because it was unstable, the motherboard couldn't handle it or such.

Why gamble when you could get a board where the 1:1 ratio is well-known to work?

Thanks for the responses! I had written off the Gigabyte board, because I originally planned to use the E4300 and didn't think there was a 1:1 divider for that CPU. Will look for info on the new BIOS.

It does look like the P5K-VM is a sure bet for me, I'm more of a "set it and forget it" guy, as opposed to a power user who tweaks things to the max. Any overclocking I've done so far is the simple stuff, running the E4300 at 2.4 instead of 1.8, stuff like that.

Not fully understanding the divider situation, I wanted to doublecheck that I would be able to overclock the CPU but run the rest within spec, and your replies have helped!

Back