mod 8800gt fan to 120mm

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a first spin of the Galaxy 8800gt with the single slot cooler. The fan is really loud when spun up in a game.

I was wondering if anyone has tried removing the shroud from the card and mounting a larger low RPM quiet fan to the card instead. i know there are some 3rd party HSFs that do this.

I have a low RPM quiet 120mm fan that i was thinking of attaching to the card. has anyone tried this and if so what were the results.

use rivertuner.. force the low lvl fan control keep it on medium.. somehow stick the 120mm above the hsf and blow air into it. It should help lower temps and keep noise to a mininum. ^_^

i remember seeing stuff to flash your the VGA BIOS to fix the fan but i was too scared/lazy to do it. now I have lost track of it. does the BIOS flash actually fix it or does it do something stupid like set the fan to 100% all the time like I've ready on some forums.

you could probably try making some kind of duct to blow air in the old fan opening, but you'd probably be better off just saving $20 for an accelero that will run twice as cool

I have a first spin of the Galaxy 8800gt with the single slot cooler. The fan is really loud when spun up in a game.

I was wondering if anyone has tried removing the shroud from the card and mounting a larger low RPM quiet fan to the card instead. i know there are some 3rd party HSFs that do this.

I have a low RPM quiet 120mm fan that i was thinking of attaching to the card. has anyone tried this and if so what were the results.

Heh, I tried that.
Popped the heatsink cover off the heatsink and strapped a fairly decent 80mm fan on top of the old fan, almost a perfect size match.
I taped over all the routes where air could escape and the performance was... shockingly bad, worse than the stock fan.
So I bought an Accelero S1 and a silent 120mm fan and have much better cooling than I thought was possible!
Load temps dont exceed 50C on a hot day with a 20% overclocked 8800GT.

Back