Modding A Compaq

V0ltage

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I recently acquired a Compaq presario 5000 from my friend for free (Celeron 600, microatx mobo w/no agp, 128mb SDram) and I really want to mod it. In the front there is this space to hold cd's, it seems like a perfect space to drill out and put a 120mm fan, and ill also be putting a blowhole, window, and maybe some handles. I am also probably going to put a new nforce2 microatx mobo and a new psu in it, since the 150W in it wont suffice. Anyone have any really cool suggestions on what i should do with it? And what color should I do it in? this is going to be my first real mod project and i want to make it awesome... once my digital camera comes back from being RMA'd im going to start and post a work log. Here are some pics I found of what the case looks like:

compaq.jpg

compaq2.jpg

Often the PSUs in compaqs/hps/dells are non-standard, so you may need to do a little dremeling to get one to fit. Also, I don't know if hp/compaq used to do the thing that dell does now with the non-standard-form-factor motherboard, but make sure you get the mounts right.

Good luck! Remember--measure many times befor eyou cut!

So that's how my uncle's computer looks on the inside...

Good luck in your modding, and keep up posted. I might do it to my family's compaq or my uncle's computer (if I can find replacements).

the PSU is totally standard, and im almost positive the mobo is as well.

Back