modding

khuyakuya

Limp Gawd
hmm... ive been thinking about a lot of these so called "mods" and ive noticed many of these dont even have any original base case for the computer and are usually are fabricated from raw materials. now while this is impressive and takes great time and effort, why are these still called mods? a mod is a shortening of modification, meaning to alter a preexisting thing. however many of these so called mods arent mods at all. is a great misnomer to group these custom fabrications in with mods.

So, do you have any thoughts as to what these "so called mods" should be grouped with?

And, out of curiousity, is your shift key broken?

They are "modding" the world's impression of what a computer should look like. Most people who "work" for a living actually do little or no "work". Maybe there should be a new group called non-working accomplishers. Seriously, it's not worth being getting "worked up" over.

digital_exhaust said:
So, do you have any thoughts as to what these "so called mods" should be grouped with?

And, out of curiousity, is your shift key broken?
custom fabrications? lol no my shift works quite fine. just dont see a need to capitalize lately been lazy besides ur sarcasm fails in the fact that to make ? u need the shift key come on man you should've caught that lol

Stuey83 said:
They are "modding" the world's impression of what a computer should look like. Most people who "work" for a living actually do little or no "work". Maybe there should be a new group called non-working accomplishers. Seriously, it's not worth being getting "worked up" over.
Lol. Hmm. I never call those who dont workers. I actually do usually tell people the most successful people actually work the least. lol I dont deny that some of the most successful people are some of the smartest, but it doesnt take hard work to become very successful. It takes knowledge of the way to exploit and take advantage of the economy to be rich. With this knowledge one doesn't have to work at all and reap the benefits.

khuyakuya said:
Lol. Hmm. I never call those who dont workers. I actually do usually tell people the most successful people actually work the least. lol I dont deny that some of the most successful people are some of the smartest, but it doesnt take hard work to become very successful. It takes knowledge of the way to exploit and take advantage of the economy to be rich. With this knowledge one doesn't have to work at all and reap the benefits.
The most successful people work the least? No. This is an exception and not the rule. It usually DOES take hard work to be successful. Other things can someties be used instead such as luck, or a lot of capital.

There are a lot of people exploiting the economy but they usually exploit people as well. These are the kind of people who spam up my inbox about penny stocks.

Anyways, my point was not to get into an argument over "workers" vs. dead beats. There's no need to take things so literally.

I tried calling them custom cases for the longest time but people have butchered the word custom. I also tried "scratch built" but it doesn't catch on.

You have to call them case mods because that's what the popular search term is on search engines. If you type in "custom case" it doesn't really go anywhere.

Sometimes you just have to live with it.

Qtip42 said:
I tried calling them custom cases for the longest time but people have butchered the word custom. I also tried "scratch built" but it doesn't catch on.

You have to call them case mods because that's what the popular search term is on search engines. If you type in "custom case" it doesn't really go anywhere.

Sometimes you just have to live with it.
scratch built hmm never heard of it but that definitely sounds a lot better than mod and is much more accurate.

Arcygenical said:
Mod = modifications

Fab = fabrications.

This is what I use.
me too but most people here seem to use mod = modification and fabrication

khuyakuya said:
hmm... ive been thinking about a lot of these so called "mods" and ive noticed many of these dont even have any original base case for the computer and are usually are fabricated from raw materials. now while this is impressive and takes great time and effort, why are these still called mods? a mod is a shortening of modification, meaning to alter a preexisting thing. however many of these so called mods arent mods at all. is a great misnomer to group these custom fabrications in with mods.

You could use the same question for "stock car racing." There is barely anything that is stock about those cars except the stock frame and engine block(if I remember correctly). A "mod" is anything that is a modification for an original case or modification of computer hardware, alot of times the guys that do complete Fabrications of cases have some sort of original hardware in there.

It's a reference not to "modding" the case, but "modding" your traditional computer. A scratch-built case still has all the elements of a normal computer; hard drive, ram, video/audio cards, etc. However it has been "modified" in that it is all in a case built from scratch.

That's the way I've always looked at it. Why does this matter anyway? Kleenex really is only one brand of tissue, yet everyone still calls any type of tissue, kleenex. Where's the big stink about this?

khuyakuya said:

Excuse me, i'm not English so english isnt my mother language, but i do think that alot of this "mods" are actually modifications, but you're right there are others that are pure case construction, but even then some still use parts of other cases, like mobo trays, drive bays, buttons etc.

Now i agree with Qtip42, having two types of descriptions here would make it harder to find, cant see anyone searching "Case fabrication", anyways, i see where you all are going, but still i prefere to call them all Case Mods, just because its easier.

God...this is a serious issue I need to give more thought to.

Back