Modular PSU Cables - Sold Seperately?

Al Shades

Limp Gawd
Greetings,

I'm looking for Hardware Vendors that stock internal cables for modular PSU's. I'm sure they must exist.

What modular PSU?

Not all cables fit all PSU's.

Really? Why is it that? They all use different variants of the ATX standard.

So what prevents the standardization of power cables for modular PSU's? They look the same to me from one model to the next. Are there technical considerations related to their electrical properties?

Not quite, the Silverstone Strider cables wont plug into the Corsair HX series psu's. It would be nice if they standardized, but who knows if or when that will happen.

So what prevents the standardization of power cables for modular PSU's?

People getting together and doing it.

They look the same to me from one model to the next. Are there technical considerations related to their electrical properties?

They aren't all the same. Some people have physically different connectors while others run different numbers of leads for each cable.

Woah, that's crazy. I thought they were all the same, with rare exceptions (like round-style connectors used by Hiper). I cannot believe it...

Woah, that's crazy. I thought they were all the same, with rare exceptions (like round-style connectors used by Hiper). I cannot believe it...

Believe it.

Also believe that they all infringe on a patent.

The only thing that's "standard" is what plugs in at the other end so the PSU works on any motherboard, drive, video card, etc. THAT is "ATX standard."

Why would they standardize the connector that goes into the PSU? So you can buy cables from a competitor?

Because there is no ATX standard for a modular interface.

Wait a minute, modular cables are designed to fit standardized ATX motherboards. Assuming both ends of the cable use the same connectors (and this is true for most modular PSU's, I believe), then the cables HAVE to be standardized. This is true for the great majority of modular PSU's out there, I would imagine. The only exceptions are those like the Hiper series with the rounded connectors.

The cables on mine (Rosewill) are the same as the ones used on the TT Toughpower series.

toughpower2.jpg
-Don't steal Bandwidth
http://www.hardwarehounds.com/techspotlight/toughpower/toughpower2.jpg

2006091016432258008.jpg
-Don't steal bandwidth
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/vir/frys/upfiles/product/2006091016432258008.jpg

These are the most common, by far, and they are the ones I'm looking for.

I want to be 100% clear that when I talk about "standardized cables", I am talking about their connectors rather than aesthetic components like color and sleeving.

Wait a minute, modular cables are designed to fit standardized ATX motherboards. Assuming both ends of the cable use the same connectors (and this is true for most modular PSU's, I believe), then the cables HAVE to be standardized. This is true for the great majority of modular PSU's out there, I would imagine. The only exceptions are those like the Hiper series with the rounded connectors.

The ones on the motherboard end are. The ones on the PSU are not always the same. And Hiper is not the only exception. Take a look at the X3 review I did for another example.

I want to be 100% clear that when I talk about "standardized cables", I am talking about their connectors rather than aesthetic components like color and sleeving.

Yeah...they still aren't standardized or the same in all cases.

Performace PCs carries replacement cables for some modular units.

Please allow me to quote myself....

The only thing that's "standard" is what plugs in at the other end so the PSU works on any motherboard, drive, video card, etc. THAT is "ATX standard."

Your pictures show the STANDARD end. The end that would have to be standard so it could plug into any motherboard, drive, video card, etc.

There is NO STANDARD for the part that plugs into the power supply.

They are NOT interchangeable. Even if they use the same type of connector, there is no guarantee that the wires are run to the same pin.

Please allow me to quote myself....

Your pictures show the STANDARD end. The end that would have to be standard so it could plug into any motherboard, drive, video card, etc.

There is NO STANDARD for the part that plugs into the power supply.

They are NOT interchangeable. Even if they use the same type of connector, there is no guarantee that the wires are run to the same pin.

Very true.

My Enermax Liberty uses Standard 6pin PCI-E type connectors for its modular connections. I have looked at others, some use proprietory and some use standard molex plugs, just depends on the manufacturer. I agree that standard connections do really help with buying or making custom cables, I have been wanting to make my own cables for a long time, it will really help with clutter as I hate how enermax did there cables.

Look closely in this pic! http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/vir/frys/upfiles/product/2006091016432258008.jpg you will see that the red PCI-E connectors are not the same as the ones below it, at quick glance they are the same, but there not, look closer at the top left hole, on the PCI-E connector the hole has a rounded top section, in the black connector the hole is perfectly square. its little differances like this that will keep you from making your own cables, you think you have the right connector but when you go to plug it in it wont fit!

Look closely in this pic! http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/vir/frys/upfiles/product/2006091016432258008.jpg you will see that the red PCI-E connectors are not the same as the ones below it, at quick glance they are the same, but there not, look closer at the top left hole, on the PCI-E connector the hole has a rounded top section, in the black connector the hole is perfectly square. its little differances like this that will keep you from making your own cables, you think you have the right connector but when you go to plug it in it wont fit!

Err, yes, but that's presumably because the red ones are PCI-E and the others are for something else. They would not want you plugging the +12V into your graphics card. Interestingly, Thermaltake chose to use a 6 pin input for all of them. Most modular PSU's that I've seen have the same number of pins on the input that they do on the attachment end.

The cables on mine (Rosewill) are the same as the ones used on the TT Toughpower series.

toughpower2.jpg
-Don't steal Bandwidth
http://www.hardwarehounds.com/techspotlight/toughpower/toughpower2.jpg

2006091016432258008.jpg
-Don't steal bandwidth
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/vir/frys/upfiles/product/2006091016432258008.jpg

These are the most common, by far, and they are the ones I'm looking for.

Which Rosewill do you have? I've got one sitting here (not mine, it's Jonny's) that uses far different cables than the Tt.

Ok, the TT has a six pin (3X2) on the PSU end for everything, SATA, molex and PCI-e. That is not the same as the Rosewill.

Back